Another new Nordhavn

EricJ

Visit site
I have to admit, a Nordhavn without a dry stack doesn’t quite sound right, like when they first made water cooled Porches
but in the end it works....

i think they create some competition for their own 475 here.. anyone any idea what the cost of a 475 is?

RandallStephens

Visit site
I have to admit, a Nordhavn without a dry stack doesn’t quite sound right, like when they first made water cooled Porches

They’re going where they think the market leads them.

Years ago, I was chatting to the owner of PAE (Nordhavn parent company) at a boat show. He was trying to sell me on their newest, largest boat at the time, I think it was the 120, which was in the planning stages. I told him, “Sorry, at that size, I want a steel hull!” which then led him to spend 15 minutes trying to convince me why their GRP hulls were superior to steel, even in a 120 footer. I chuckled to myself a few years ago when they announced a new 145 foot steel hulled model. The market told them that owners preferred steel hulls in their larger expedition vessels, and they had no choice but to follow. If the EU market requires twin engines and lower air draft, so be it.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I think tells you everything you need to know about which market the 51 is aimed at. The European market has always been resistant to single engined boats and being built in Turkey (which is in the EU customs union), the boat can enter the EU market without the fear of tariffs being imposed at short notice. It even has European stabilisers by way of the Humphree system

No price for a new boat is reasonable but within the context of current new boat prices, $1.5m is competitive particularly as the spec is very complete. I think the 51 will be a winner in Europe and elsewhere

The new 51 has 2 x John Deere M1 160 bhp engines where the 41 & 52 are single engine so may get up to 12-14 knots with the 51

The 51 doesnt have a swim platform and no option for a hard top which is a shame

:(

JB

Visit site
The 41 and the 51 are almost a different line. They are cheaper and less-customisable, whereas in a 475 or 52 you can change the layout pretty much as you please, change engines, generators etc, in the 41 and the 51 you don't get that choice. However, I am sure they will begin to offer a hardtop because the demand will be so high.

Great boats, I will probably never buy another brand!

Attachments

• 750dcf9c-d276-4569-ac20-402e75972c22.jpg
    750dcf9c-d276-4569-ac20-402e75972c22.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 54

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
The 41 and the 51 are almost a different line. They are cheaper and less-customisable, whereas in a 475 or 52 you can change the layout pretty much as you please, change engines, generators etc, in the 41 and the 51 you don't get that choice. However, I am sure they will begin to offer a hardtop because the demand will be so high.

Youre right the 475 & 52 will probably be double or even triple the price of the 51 because they are customisable.

I noticed that the helm on the 51 is on the right hand side of the pilothouse which is the same as the 41

I do prefer a central helm with Nordhavn's

(y)

Last edited:

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
You will easily clear 2 million dollars with that by the time you do a bit of customisation and pay the VAT

You'd pay $2m but would get the boat you want the way you want it

The 51 has two full size double cabins and a day head which seems like a waste of space as from what ive seen its mostly retired couples etc not families that use the smaller boats

:oops:

Last edited:

JB

Visit site
You'd pay $2m but would get the boat you want the way you want it

The 51 has two full size double cabins and a day head seems like a waste of space as from what ive seen its mostly retired couples etc not families that use the smaller boats

:oops:

Yes true, mostly couples and many living aboard so they dont need the space and opt for two smaller cabins instead of three smaller cabins. Sometimes, that comes back to bite when you try sell the boat and the buyers mostly are looking for more cabins

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
They’re going where they think the market leads them.

Years ago, I was chatting to the owner of PAE (Nordhavn parent company) at a boat show. He was trying to sell me on their newest, largest boat at the time, I think it was the 120, which was in the planning stages. I told him, “Sorry, at that size, I want a steel hull!” which then led him to spend 15 minutes trying to convince me why their GRP hulls were superior to steel, even in a 120 footer. I chuckled to myself a few years ago when they announced a new 145 foot steel hulled model. The market told them that owners preferred steel hulls in their larger expedition vessels, and they had no choice but to follow. If the EU market requires twin engines and lower air draft, so be it.

Robert Conconi is the owner who commissioned the 120 and he was not happy with the boat or the service he received from Nordhavn.

There are always two sides to every story but it considering he mustve paid well over $10m for the 120 you'd think they wouldve done everything possible to get it right

In fact he hated it so much that he set up a website to let everyone know how :poop: they were

Check it out here... Nordhavn Facts | Truth Behind Their Broken Promises | PAE Yachts

o_O

JB

Visit site
Robert Conconi is the owner who commissioned the 120 and he was not happy with the boat or the service he received from Nordhavn.

There are always two sides to every story but it considering he mustve paid well over $10m for the 120 you'd think they wouldve done everything possible to get it right

In fact he hated it so much that he set up a website to let everyone know how :poop: they were

Check it out here... Nordhavn Facts | Truth Behind Their Broken Promises | PAE Yachts

o_O

Always two sides to every story, but Nordhavn won in court on that one I believe.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
True, I dont think we will every see a Nordhavn go any faster than 10 knots, my max is 11 for about 30 secs :)

You guys would know more than me

The 51 has 2 x John Deere M1's (160 bhp @ 2300) each so i thought it might have a bit more punch

As the current 52 only has a single John Deere 6068AFM75 – 266 HP @ 2,400 rpm and that tops out at 8 knots and its about 10 tons heavier than the 51

I guess it doesnt really matter as its its a marathon not a race with Nordhavn's

?

RandallStephens

Visit site

o_O

Well, PAE won the court case, and Conconi had to pay costs, so... and it was $16 million not 10, according to the documentation.

A cursory reading of the facts seems to leave plenty of blame to apportion to both sides. Coming out of the Great Recession, does it surprise me that PAE had cash flow problems? No.

Signing on to build a larger boat than a yard has ever built before is always a risk. Complexity of systems and such goes up a lot as you build bigger.

The owner had bought 3 new Nordhavns prior to this one and was happy with them. I think he was too trusting with the company. It does not appear that he had a full time representative at the yard during build. With every build I’ve done, I’ve had a build captain, and a project manager (often an engineer and/or surveyor) on site for the entire build. Doing that would have prevented this outcome. Sure, a buyer of a 50’ Nordhavn might not be able to justify the cost, but for a project in which you’re investing $16 million? If he did have independent representation at the yard throughout the build then a lot more of the blame shifts to PAE.

They also talk about tasks to finish the boat en route from Hong Kong to Vancouver. Why was the boat not finished before the delivery voyage? In many cases, it’s due to the owner’s demands re: meeting a particular schedule. Perhaps the builder was behind schedule, but again, as the launch customer for a 120’ boat with a yard that had never built one bigger than 96’ before, you should have expect possible delays.

I don’t think either party emerges from this story looking good, but a lot of the problems for the owner seem to have been self-inflicted.

JB

Visit site
They are about range not speed so that is the only reason why i would doubt it would get anywhere near 14 kts, but hey you never know

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Well, PAE won the court case, and Conconi had to pay costs, so... and it was $16 million not 10, according to the documentation.

A cursory reading of the facts seems to leave plenty of blame to apportion to both sides. Coming out of the Great Recession, does it surprise me that PAE had cash flow problems? No.

Signing on to build a larger boat than a yard has ever built before is always a risk. Complexity of systems and such goes up a lot as you build bigger.

The owner had bought 3 new Nordhavns prior to this one and was happy with them. I think he was too trusting with the company. It does not appear that he had a full time representative at the yard during build. With every build I’ve done, I’ve had a build captain, and a project manager (often an engineer and/or surveyor) on site for the entire build. Doing that would have prevented this outcome. Sure, a buyer of a 50’ Nordhavn might not be able to justify the cost, but for a project in which you’re investing $16 million? If he did have independent representation at the yard throughout the build then a lot more of the blame shifts to PAE.

They also talk about tasks to finish the boat en route from Hong Kong to Vancouver. Why was the boat not finished before the delivery voyage? In many cases, it’s due to the owner’s demands re: meeting a particular schedule. Perhaps the builder was behind schedule, but again, as the launch customer for a 120’ boat with a yard that had never built one bigger than 96’ before, you should have expect possible delays.

I don’t think either party emerges from this story looking good, but a lot of the problems for the owner seem to have been self-inflicted.

I stumbled across that story while i was researching Nordhavn's as ive been doing some research for over year for my first boat. It hasnt put me off buying one as the feedback is 99% positive

My reservations about Nordvans have always been the interior wood which i find quite old fashioned to my modern contemporary tastes but i really like the N68 build which is dark wood and creams upholsteries etc

Ive put my plans on hold until we come out of this pandemic so i'll decide this summer if i want to order one in 2020 for a 2021 delivery

?

JB

Visit site
I stumbled across that story while i was researching Nordhavn's as ive been doing some research for over year for my first boat. It hasnt put me off buying one as the feedback is 99% positive

My reservations about Nordvans have always been the interior wood which i find quite old fashioned to my modern contemporary tastes but i really like the N68 build which is dark wood and creams upholsteries etc

Ive put my plans on hold until we come out of this pandemic so i'll decide this summer if i want to order one in 2020 for a 2021 delivery

?

You would be lucky to see a new Nordhavn for 2023 they have so many orders !! The 52 and 60 have over 3 year lead time

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
You would be lucky to see a new Nordhavn for 2023 they have so many orders !! The 52 and 60 have over 3 year lead time

Yeah i know thats why the this original post about the 51 got my attention.

Its going to be a production boat out of Turkey instead of China so the maybe the waiting list might not be as long.

The plan was to order a Nordhavn then get a Swift Trawler 41 to gain some experience till it arrives

But like is said, everything has been put on hold for now. Hopefully there will be some light at the end of the tunnel this year

I cant wait to get out of the UK and do some travelling.....id crawl out on my hands and knees if that was the only option

?

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site

Nope....I won’t believe you are the proud owner until you post at least another 10 pictures?....especially engine room