When Eight Bells Toll - Bond style action film set on boats in the western Isles

Adios

Visit site
Seems like The Riddle of the Sands remade as a Bond film. But an enjoyable enough action film for a wet day in which I'd not heard of until the other day. (y)

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
I had not realised until reading this thread that Alistair Maclean and Hammond Ines were the same individual.?
A book I have read and enjoyed a few times.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I saw this when it first came out, and again much more recently. It mow seems very dated; as is usual in Hammond Innes novels there is a 'love interest' with a women very much in the second place.

The castle is Duart Castle on the Sound of Mull.

Yes, except as Antarctic Pilot and LeighB have pointed out, it was written by Alistair Maclean.

To be fair, I think this is something that Hammond Innes suffered from quite a lot. I met him at the Earl's Court boat show once many years ago, and he was very pleasant. When I mentioned a couple of his books that I had enjoyed, he seemed pleased, and said he had regularly been accused by people of writing Alistair Maclean's novels.

He and his wife were very keen sailors, and left the bulk of their estate to the association of sail training organisations.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Yes, except as Antarctic Pilot and LeighB have pointed out, it was written by Alistair Maclean.

To be fair, I think this is something that Hammond Innes suffered from quite a lot. I met him at the Earl's Court boat show once many years ago, and he was very pleasant. When I mentioned a couple of his books that I had enjoyed, he seemed pleased, and said he had regularly been accused by people of writing Alistair Maclean's novels.

He and his wife were very keen sailors, and left the bulk of their estate to the association of sail training organisations.
I think Hammond Innes had a different style; they're not really similar except that they wrote in the same genre.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I had not realised until reading this thread that Alistair Maclean and Hammond Ines were the same individual.?
A book I have read and enjoyed a few times.
They're not. Innes sailed a boat called the Mary Deare - the name of one of his books, The Wreck Of The Mary Deare, filmed with Gary Cooper. He was a big mate of Marshal Tito who he visited often by boat. As far as I know McLean didn't sail - I think his biggest claim to fame, apart from writing, was buying the Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor! All a long time ago!