Honda Bf2 Water Coming out of Cowling

Jettyman

Visit site
Ok last stupid question for the day - does the exhaust tube in fact go INSIDE the water tube? I’m working on getting a manual but I want to make sure I have it set up correctly

CliveF

Visit site
No. There is a 10mm ? pipe No 4 in the diagram that comes out of the top of the water pump and disappears up inside the leg to the top where 5,6 9 are in the diagram.
I can not help with that as I did not take it apart.
I did put a camera up and see those parts but not very clearly.
The exhaust just comes into that cavity ( where 5,6 ,9 are) at the top of the leg and exits down the center of the leg.

Jettyman

Visit site
Boy do I feel dumb - I was wondering why it was so hard to get the power head back on the leg. I thought was sorted out when I installed the exhaust next to the tube but there is still water coming from cowling - I’m perplexed

VicS

Visit site
Boy do I feel dumb - I was wondering why it was so hard to get the power head back on the leg. I thought was sorted out when I installed the exhaust next to the tube but there is still water coming from cowling - I’m perplexed
What about the joint with the exhaust pipe bottom flange ? Could that be the leak ?

1610620870028.png

steve66

Visit site
Im a little confused....your engine doesnt have a clutch...its direct drive. The driveshaft locates directly onto the crank. There isnt a bearing in the lower engine casing, only on the crank.
Did you seperate the powerhead from the leg?. Sealing around the joint will not work. You have to clean all mating faces and silicone between the joint. The majority of the water exits inside the shaft cooling the leg and acting as a noise suppressant. The tell tale is only to show its working correctly

Jettyman

Visit site
When I bought the motor it started but would conked out when given throttle. When I took it apart I could tell someone clumsy was in there before (missing screws, glued on valve cover) and the clutch bearing was seized (not direct drive). Had to heat up the inner housing and beat it out of the outer housing - new inner housing with bearing attached and clutch and clutch works perfect now. The serial number references to 2000 w/o impeller. However, I clearly have a water tube in the leg that comes almost all the way to the top of the leg (about 6” shorter) I don’t see part 9 (baffle) anywhere and thinking that could be the issue. I’ve cleaned the carb a couple of times and can rev it but there’s flat spots so I’ll clean it again. At idle the prop doesn’t spin and no water coming out bottom of cowling. Once clutch disengages water comes out cowling and flows more with more revs. I wish I could post a vid. Thanks

VicS

Visit site
I know exactly where the leak is. Its very very common on engines that have previously been stripped. Its where the led meets the sump. There is (should be) a gasket. They usually break when stripping
Thats the gasket I first suggested ?

VicS

Visit site
When I bought the motor it started but would conked out when given throttle. When I took it apart I could tell someone clumsy was in there before (missing screws, glued on valve cover) and the clutch bearing was seized (not direct drive). Had to heat up the inner housing and beat it out of the outer housing - new inner housing with bearing attached and clutch and clutch works perfect now. The serial number references to 2000 w/o impeller. However, I clearly have a water tube in the leg that comes almost all the way to the top of the leg (about 6” shorter) I don’t see part 9 (baffle) anywhere and thinking that could be the issue. I’ve cleaned the carb a couple of times and can rev it but there’s flat spots so I’ll clean it again. At idle the prop doesn’t spin and no water coming out bottom of cowling. Once clutch disengages water comes out cowling and flows more with more revs. I wish I could post a vid. Thanks
It sounds as though it might be a "bitsa"
I understand what you mean about the water not coming out at idle . The pump is not turning until you increase the revs to engage the clutch.

steve66

Visit site
It cant be a bitsa...the 2hp 2a gearbox eont fit a 2d motor. Also there cannot be a water pipe inside the leg....there is no room. Inside the leg you have an exhaust pipe and a driveshaft. You may be getting the exhaust pipe mixed up with a water pipe

Jettyman

Visit site
I’ll be taking apart the lower unit this weekend to have a look and do a parts inventory compared to the schematic - I’m still confuse that my engine BZBF - 1101173 should be a 2000 model and not have an impeller.

CliveF

Visit site
Is that the number stamped into the side of the engine block or is that the alloy one riveted on the transom bracket?

It could be you have an original engine and a replacement bracket.

VicS

Visit site
That’s the number on the plate - the other sticker says Model: BF2d
The number you quoted earlier corresponds to a year 2000 BF2D

It should not have a water pump or a water tube going up inside the leg but it should have an exhaust pipe which enters the leg unlike like the exhaust I pictured earlier for a BF2A with water cooling
)1610741292140.png

Is it possible that your engine has had a BF2A gearbox fitted . Is it even possible ? I dont know.

VicS

Visit site
That’s the exhaust pipe I have - like I said it’s a basket case

So is there in fact a water pump ,,,,,,,, from what you said earlier about water leaking once you rev it to engage the clutch I assume there must be

Take the impeller out ?????? and the water tube if its really in there except that there appears to be a short water tube associated with long shaft models

A few photos would help You ought to be able to post photos by now .... If not protest loudly the the fat people.

Last edited:

steve66

Visit site
There is no water pump on this model....its completely air cooled. If you could take a video of the water leaking and forward it to my email that would be great.
Its not possible to fit any 2hp water pump regardless of age on this model. The gears are different inside the gear box.....drive shafts are completely different...not enough room for a water pipe...nothing for the water pipe to locate to in the top of the leg. If you remove the gearbox you will see a huge rubber bung just inside the leg .....another sign there isnt a water pump fitted