Going for a sail with Tom Cunliffe.

Elessar

Visit site
Take a look at this. The boat is stunning she’s a few berths away from me in my marina.

I acted as a photo boat last year for a magazine shoot they were doing. She looks beautiful on the water.

Anyway if you want to pledge a few quid you can go for a sail on her with Tom!

My only connection is as an admirer. Of Tom and the boat.

Golden Vanity - Crowdfunding | First Class Sailing

BD952143-AADD-49C9-ACB4-2108E3B18A3C.jpeg

Last edited:

TernVI

Visit site
The main looks horribly over sheeted to me...
Brings to mind paintings you see in gift shops, done by people who don't understand boats.
That photo is beyond 'not flattering', please post something better.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Long ago, I did a Day Skipper course on GV, it was fun, and most educational as she is not the fastest or most manouverable yacht! Peter Crowther's OSTAR time reflects this...it was the slowest, ever!

She is sort of vaguely 'historic', but 'old' would be a fairer description and in my personal opinion, a sailing school asking for cash donations to maintain one of their fleet is stretching it a bit.
Good luck to the old girl anyway, she was banged together by a smack yard using iron dumps and the bilges are full of concrete so fingers crossed.
Crowther set off with crew in the OSTAR, a cat, and by the time he eventually arrived, it had produced a litter :)

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
First Mate did her Dazed Kipper and I my Coastal Skipper on Golden Vanity in 2008. In her centenial year.

We had a great time, learned loads and handling GV gave us the confidence to go for a long keeled heavy boat with cutter rig.

Made a very good sailing friend too, one we sail with in Europe and in NZ.

We would not have missed the experience for the world.

GV is slow, but during a night sail Salcome to Dartmouth she hit 8 knots with the wind on the beam.

Plus we really liked the hand carved into the tiller bar end.:)

RobbieW

Visit site
I was part of crew that brought her back from Maasluis after engine repairs in the late 90s. We were supposed to go to Brixham, got as far as Gosport. A wet boat, mostly through the deck ☔ Also no winches, so you sheeted in with fixed handy billies and a rolling hitch. Fun trip though

Elessar

Visit site
[
The main looks horribly over sheeted to me...
Brings to mind paintings you see in gift shops, done by people who don't understand boats.
That photo is beyond 'not flattering', please post something better.
I don’t have the good photos, the pro photographer does and this was a snapshot in time in what were very light and variable winds.

If you can’t see through that to see the beauty in the boat that’s your loss.

Probably the only other good shot I have.
I have a good video but don’t know how to post that.
8448C052-FD90-4CD2-A2A7-87A735FEADC4.jpeg

Elessar

Visit site
They are probably worried about a large mobo bearing down on them which might explain their lack of attention to the mainsail -either that or they have sheeted in due to the impending wash.
I got much closer than that. But didn’t take a photo at that time!

Blueboatman

Visit site
Nice work?
Thank you

Some time ago my mobo neighbour and I introduced each other to the joys of er the other side .. huge fun.
I was astonished how different the handling at close windy quarters was with a bit of a groundswell and a twin prop 35 footer! I wasn’t as good as I imagined , at all?

Like the ski instructor said, any fule can go fast , it is going slowly and in the direction you want , that’s the skill to learn ?

Elessar

Visit site
Nice work?
Thank you

Some time ago my mobo neighbour and I introduced each other to the joys of er the other side .. huge fun.
I was astonished how different the handling at close windy quarters was with a bit of a groundswell and a twin prop 35 footer! I wasn’t as good as I imagined , at all?

Like the ski instructor said, any fule can go fast , it is going slowly and in the direction you want , that’s the skill to learn ?

Thank you. I just like being on a boat. Any type. Love sailing (which is where I started) and love my mobo.

But yes if you are used to a modern yacht, a mobo is as alien as a long keeler at close quarters!

Dino

Visit site
The article is in this months Yachting World (February issue). I use the Readly App to view magazines for a monthly subscription and it just landed today.

dom

Visit site
But yes if you are used to a modern yacht, a mobo is as alien as a long keeler at close quarters!

Not sure, it's that alien; last year I berthed a biggish Nordhavn in a blow with an outrageous amount of windage. Surprisingly easy playing with bow and stern thrusters looking over the side.

Actually, I did find it a bit counterintuitive, but any competent twelve year old could do it and if none handy I'd recommend getting up to speed on PlayStation or Xbox!
:)

ashtead

Visit site
Looking good and pleased to see you went down wind of them. Many don’t seem to realise that on the Soton waters as they steam by when the wind is light . Should be a part of the Ryan powerboat trading maybe .

Zagato

Visit site
"
Golden Vanity was built in 1908. At the time of writing that makes her 113 years old. She is a Mumble Bee class of Brixham Sailing Trawler and is from an era of working sail that no longer exists. There are a handful of other Brixham Sailing Trawlers left but only one other Mumble Bee.
She was built on the River Dart in Devon for a renowned marine artist, Arthur Briscoe, who used the boat as a way to get out amongst the fishing fleets to paint and record some of the last days of working sail. He also sailed the boat regularly with close friends one of which was spy novelist Erskine Childers, who wrote The Riddle of the Sands."

It's always great to see these old girls kept alive. Lovely boat

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I nearly replied earlier that GV was "not banged together by a smack yard"

I thought pedantry might not be well recieved. :cool:

Handling GV was interesting, no room for a prop in front of the rudder when they fitted the engine. The prop exits 'on the piss' to one side of the rudder. Backing is good fun!

As for iron ballast in concrete, still a method used today.

Our previous boat, an Island Packet 350 had substantial lead ballast topped, IIRC, with iron encapsulated in epoxy cement.

One must ask, how many Bavaria/Jeuneau/Beneteau AWB's will be still sailing at 108 years old?