06:0040.3SW67.8SSW
07:0023.8WSW42.2SW
08:0020.2SW28.7SW
09:00
Not to bad .

Report of 100 MPH on IOW.
Off to check boat later.

Port-Log - Met
Flood warning on upper Medway. usually takes about 24 hours to get to lower sections.
Flood information for Upper River Medway - GOV.UK

oldgit

Visit site
Did you use your own Sproutanemometer?

Nope...just open the window .
We are very sheltered from the West, its E & NE that gives Oldgit Towers a right going over.
Have to keep an eye on Mrs OG, has tendency to turning up the heating, my suggestion of another jumper is.......Ouch .
Fortunately we had some rubbish neaps that night and the tide was .5 below prediction.
My only casualty was one press stud on the flybridge cover but did notice a couple of burst fenders elsewhere.

Better today. Sheerness is somewhere in the mist.

Last edited:

Robin

Visit site
Speed
(Knots)
Direction
(Deg)
Speed
(Knots)
Direction
(Deg)
Date/Time
(UTC)
AverageGust
--- RECENT WIND SPEEDS ---
27 Dec 05:0043.9SSW60.6SSW
06:0040.3SW67.8SSW
07:0023.8WSW42.2SW
08:0020.2SW28.7SW
09:00
Not to bad .

Report of 100 MPH on IOW.
Off to check boat later.

Port-Log - Met
Flood warning on upper Medway. usually takes about 24 hours to get to lower sections.
Flood information for Upper River Medway - GOV.UK

I think that 106 mph gust was just as I was attempting to pee in the 'wee' small hours, the resulting spring lines jerk had me miss the target. Shortly after Mrs R woke me again and said 'what was that whistling noise-go see? I declined, so bad books again. :( Several saily boats had shredded sails on display next morning maybe they will learn next time that headsails need several wraps of sheets around maybe plus an extra safety tie. Good business for sailmakers mind.

oldgit

Visit site
Anybody else old enough to remember 1987.
Had a conservatory in the evening. Gone by the morning.
The wind keep picking it up and dropping it down until disintegrated.
Picking up glass in garden for weeks.
Went outside about 02.00 to check house roof, wind was weirdly warm.

Robin

Visit site
i was in Toronto Canada on business and first thing my customer said was 'shame about the hurricane in Britain' I said 'don't be daft, what hurricane? ' Then it was on TV News, Bugger, my boat is still on it's mooring (I hope) When back home some 3 weeks later and able to go check the boat (Elizabethan 30 back then) I found it was just fine and a fairy liquid bottle left on galley worktop was still upright even. Phew!

All tempered anyway as what later became the current Admiral flew in from Indiana to join me in Toronto for a few days R&R and sight seeing around Niagara. What times indeed, in my case not all bad, I got lucky on both counts. Liz 30 was sold shortly after and replaced by a W33 ketch. Current Admiral arrived in UK 2nd Jan 1988 and was scraping 10 years of antifoul off the W33 in sub zero temps the following weekend. And she though yachting was all like in the Martini adverts! And 33 years on she is as lovely as ever (but refuses to antifoul):love:

oldgit

Visit site
i was in Toronto Canada on business and first thing my customer said was 'shame about the hurricane in Britain' I said 'don't be daft, what hurricane? ' Then it was on TV News, Bugger, my boat is still on it's mooring (I hope) When back home some 3 weeks later and able to go check the boat (Elizabethan 30 back then) I found it was just fine and a fairy liquid bottle left on galley worktop was still upright even. Phew!

All tempered anyway as what later became the current Admiral flew in from Indiana to join me in Toronto for a few days R&R and sight seeing around Niagara. What times indeed, in my case not all bad, I got lucky on both counts. Liz 30 was sold shortly after and replaced by a W33 ketch. Current Admiral arrived in UK 2nd Jan 1988 and was scraping 10 years of antifoul off the W33 in sub zero temps the following weekend. And she though yachting was all like in the Martini adverts! And 33 years on she is as lovely as ever (but refuses to antifoul):love:

Just as soon as she has that ring on her finger all sorts of things stop , ask me how I know.
Walking along a towpath , noticed a young lady standing on the river bank (with totally unsuitable clothing) with her boyfriend fishing merrily away in the icy cold.
The above statement immediately sprang to mind. :)

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site
Anybody else old enough to remember 1987.
Had a conservatory in the evening. Gone by the morning.
The wind keep picking it up and dropping it down until disintegrated.
Picking up glass in garden for weeks.
Went outside about 02.00 to check house roof, wind was weirdly warm.

I was living in Desborough, Northants, that turned out to be the eye of the storm so we heard nothing. Couldn't get to the brewery the next morning due to fallen trees so had to do 'competitor visits' at home ;)

oldgit

Visit site
If you drive along the old A20 still able to spot the gaps on the ridge of the North Downs where trees were flattened in neat rows.

Robin

Visit site
Just as soon as she has that ring on her finger all sorts of things stop , ask me how I know.
Walking along a towpath , noticed a young lady standing on the river bank (with totally unsuitable clothing) with her boyfriend fishing merrily away in the icy cold.
The above statement immediately sprang to mind. :)
Mine just filled us up with freshwater out in the cold frosty but sunny day here, still wearing that ring although a discussion about us not gathering with others living on board hereabouts tonight did not go down so well and she is Matt Hancock's #1 fan too. :oops:

Adios

Visit site
It was a strange one the damage was in clear lines like a tornado had gone through so you might have been lucky. Woods behind our house in Suffolk had a path with parallel edges of standing trees either side of a swathe of total devastation about 200m across. I think it was similarly patchy in tunstall and rendlesham forests, pine growing on sandy soil didn't stand a chance where it hit.

Robin

Visit site
It was a strange one the damage was in clear lines like a tornado had gone through so you might have been lucky. Woods behind our house in Suffolk had a path with parallel edges of standing trees either side of a swathe of total devastation about 200m across. I think it was similarly patchy in tunstall and rendlesham forests, pine growing on sandy soil didn't stand a chance where it hit.
Others in Poole were not so lucky I was told but as the club mooring master at the time our moorings were maintained to a very high standard, self interest in part of course but pride too. Boats that did break adrift in Poole Harbour were a) not on our club laid moorings and/or b) had rope strops whereas we had chains.
We had two hurricanes whilst living in Daytona Beach Florida, 'Matthew' hit Daytona hard but our then boat was unscathed in it's marina berth although many others had shredded sails. There were many tornadoes in what they called the outer bands of Matthew so certainly localised tornadoes are a real possibility in the1987 UK one. Hurricanes suck.?

oldgit

Visit site
Mine just filled us up with freshwater out in the cold frosty but sunny day here, still wearing that ring although a discussion about us not gathering with others living on board hereabouts tonight did not go down so well and she is Matt Hancock's #1 fan too. :oops:

So thats 2 fans then for Mr Hancock, though suspect the other one would be his mum and possibly doubts there as well :)

Robin

Visit site
So thats 2 fans then for Mr Hancock, though suspect the other one would be his mum and possibly doubts there as well :)

The party invite was from a nice couple but they regularly travel all over IOW and nearby mainland so in my mind are 'suspect' as far as covid goes, I can celebrate fine from the comfy of our leccy blanket, party pooper or not. (y)