Trying to move from Sheperton to Penton Hook

Windy_Stu

Visit site
We are trying to get our new boat from Sheperton to Penton hook.... we are new to Thames but know enough to know going in red boards is not the best idea :cool:

So we are left with either staying week to week at Sheperton or buying a month ... what is the likelihood of flow dropping anytime soon?

Obviously a bit of "how long is a piece to string " question... but good to get some advice from those with a bit more experience than us!!

jct1981

Visit site
We are trying to get our new boat from Sheperton to Penton hook.... we are new to Thames but know enough to know going in red boards is not the best idea :cool:

So we are left with either staying week to week at Sheperton or buying a month ... what is the likelihood of flow dropping anytime soon?

Obviously a bit of "how long is a piece to string " question... but good to get some advice from those with a bit more experience than us!!

From experience, there's a hell of a lot of water to come downstream from the Chilterns....I'd buy a month if there's a saving Vs week to week pricing.

Also, locks on handwind only until early Jan - even though it's only a few locks that'd put me off unless you have willing crew!

Worth checking EA guidance on Tier 4 as well - pretty sure that's all within T4- just pointing out so you can make a fully informed decision Environment Agency waterways: Coronavirus (COVID-19) update 23 December 2020

Northern Star

Visit site
Well last year it was high till well into March so I would be buying a month at the moment as there is also no power on any of the locks either. I am not there at the moment but as said above there could be a lot more water to come downstream over the next few weeks.

Also watch out when you eventually come into Penton Hook if you haven't been there as the stream from the weir just after the yacht club can be quite deceiving and if it is one of those new wide beams they sell at Shepperton I think I would be waiting for it to be flat calm with no wind as I have seen many just trying to get to the pump out on the marina and end up in trouble.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Still coming up at Henley.

Gaugemap website shows it seems to have peaked at Benson but still a lot to come and there was some rain night before last so I would have thought it will be a while before the red boards come off.

Taplow is usually a good indicator but I'm not sure they are running that at full capacity.

It's on 20 cumecs at the moment.

Last Christmas when the river was about 18 inches higher up here at Medmenham than it is now Taplow was passing around 100 cumecs and as previously mentioned the red boards were then on until March.

oldgit

Visit site
Thought the EA was an uncompromising NO to everything boaty at the moment.
Seem to remember it taking many weeks to safely ( Hmm) finally extract Chris Murrs Turbo 36 out of the Thames and back to civilisation a winter or two ago.
There was a brief interval between Red Boards and a slightly less than unfortunate weather forecast for beyond the lock.
Always had great respect since then for the Turbo 36 and Julies bacon sandwiches in times of stress.
Shame you cannot see bugger out the back of the boat or much out the front for that matter. :)
Still what you cannot see does not worry you !

Windy_Stu

Visit site
Thanks Guys... went to Sheperton today.... very high very fast.... looks like at least a couple of weeks... think I will buy another month... Still worse places to be.

Where can I find the flow rates and what is considered acceptable?... we have a 40ft De Groot with 300hp Cummings... i would estimate maybe 10kts wot? I have travelled up the Rone with 27hp and more like 6kts wot... at times I was barely moving

jct1981

Visit site
missed the second question - 'what's acceptable?'. Easy answer is that your insurance is probably invalid if the red boards are out - you'd have to check with your insurer. Obviously the further downstream you go, cubic meters per second (M3/S or Cumecs) increases, as does the size of the river.

For what it's worth,Reading flow meter is currently at 199.8 cumecs, which is the fastest I've seen it in just over 5 years of having our boats nearby.

You would be going upstream, which would at least give you some steerage, but I'd certainly wait for yellow boards to re-appear, especially if you're not familiar with the stretches of river, weir impacts as mentioned above.

Mark26

Visit site
missed the second question - 'what's acceptable?'. Easy answer is that your insurance is probably invalid if the red boards are out - you'd have to check with your insurer. Obviously the further downstream you go, cubic meters per second (M3/S or Cumecs) increases, as does the size of the river.

For what it's worth,Reading flow meter is currently at 199.8 cumecs, which is the fastest I've seen it in just over 5 years of having our boats nearby.

You would be going upstream, which would at least give you some steerage, but I'd certainly wait for yellow boards to re-appear, especially if you're not familiar with the stretches of river, weir impacts as mentioned above.
I think the “insurance is invalid if red boards are out” thing is a myth.
I’ve had many insurance policies and have never seen such a clause in any of them

Old Crusty

Visit site
I think the “insurance is invalid if red boards are out” thing is a myth.
I’ve had many insurance policies and have never seen such a clause in any of them

In the event of a financial loss, what the insurer would likely ask is, what the navigation authority's advice was at the time - the red board thing is a myth but might be relevant. Bear in mind that the insurers first objective is to avoid paying out.

Time Out

Visit site
In a former life I worked at a Sales group with bases at Marlow and Shepperton. I would often moves steel boats between both locations over winter, locks depending.

I have looked at the river at Teddington, Shepperton and Windsor over the last few days.

Would i take a boat upstream in this flow ? Yes I would but with particular attention given to Chertsey bridge as well as giving the weirs a wide berth.

all depends on how confident and experienced you are.

That’s said i looked at Windsor/ Eton bridge yesterday and questioned how I once went though in more stream ! That was with a twin screw 10m steel boat.

if In doubt don’t go out.

Windy_Stu

Visit site
Thanks all.... decided to wait for the flow to subside... Sheperton is perfectly nice for a bit :) With regards to insurance I agree no clause to stop you going.... not sure I agree that its there job to not pay out either... I have had a few claims over the years, and every time various companies have been most helpful... just don't take the micky out of them and they will treat you fairly I think

Happy new year to you all!

Stu

Old Crusty

Visit site
During the red boards, flood incident of early 2014, we did potter up on patrol in a Mitchell (90hp) from Boulters to Temple. All went well punching the flow, we practised a bit of swift ferry gliding, MOB and backing down a weir stream to pull a boat off the Nelson lines. When we turned round in the weir stream at Temple and headed back to Marlow, we achieved 18kph before I engaged gear. Even in tickover, without any steerage, we were averaging 15kph.

Pump-Out

Visit site
During the red boards, flood incident of early 2014, we did potter up on patrol in a Mitchell (90hp) from Boulters to Temple. All went well punching the flow, we practised a bit of swift ferry gliding, MOB and backing down a weir stream to pull a boat off the Nelson lines. When we turned round in the weir stream at Temple and headed back to Marlow, we achieved 18kph before I engaged gear. Even in tickover, without any steerage, we were averaging 15kph.
Which is, perhaps, why the EA should not enforce the speed limit as SOG? ;-)