Boat insurance criteria/RYA training?

Ryanlion

Visit site
I would appreciate some advice regards boat insurance from you knowledgeable people. I was looking to get an idea of insurance premiums when I get my boat in March next year and the question asked by insurance companies is how many years experience I have, which is a couple of years experience of having a little motor boat 30 years ago, but there is no way I can provide proof of that so if I say 2 years and I make a claim will they expect proof in which case I might as well say zero years experience.
Some insurers require a level 2 RYA powerboat cert which I'm happy to do but I can't find anywhere currently running these courses , and certainly not before I get the boat next March, so if anyone knows any different I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction?

Many thanks

st599

Visit site
Regards training, the current guidance from the RYA to Training Centres is that the current regulations in London only allow training for work purposes.

Whitlock

Visit site
I would appreciate some advice regards boat insurance from you knowledgeable people. I was looking to get an idea of insurance premiums when I get my boat in March next year and the question asked by insurance companies is how many years experience I have, which is a couple of years experience of having a little motor boat 30 years ago, but there is no way I can provide proof of that so if I say 2 years and I make a claim will they expect proof in which case I might as well say zero years experience.
Some insurers require a level 2 RYA powerboat cert which I'm happy to do but I can't find anywhere currently running these courses , and certainly not before I get the boat next March, so if anyone knows any different I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction?

Many thanks
Yes. If you make a claim, they will investigate whether your answers on the original paperwork are correct. Bear in mind thought that insurance companies are quite happy to insure clueless hirers, so be honest with them and see what happens.

Dysan

Visit site
My insurance is the same and to be fair the easier of those that would quote!

Day skipper on board or min 3 years on my size vessel or it’s not insured (3rd party!). But I‘m in no rush to go out and drown myself so I’m trying to get on with it.

Murv

Visit site
I'm relatively new to boating, my declaration of no experience at all seemed to make no difference to my first premium.
I thought that, a few years on, being a commercially endorsed yachtmaster (power) offshore may have reduced the premium a little, but no, no change whatsoever!
Sadly, boat insurance premiums seem to be rising rapidly and it's starting to become a significant cost for me so may be worth getting a quote if that's of any concern.
Craftinsure is a good website to get an instant quote: Craftinsure Boat Insurance | Compare Yacht, Narrowboat, Dinghy, RIB, Speedboat, Canoe and Kayak Insurance

Mark26

Visit site
I'm relatively new to boating, my declaration of no experience at all seemed to make no difference to my first premium.
I thought that, a few years on, being a commercially endorsed yachtmaster (power) offshore may have reduced the premium a little, but no, no change whatsoever!
Sadly, boat insurance premiums seem to be rising rapidly and it's starting to become a significant cost for me so may be worth getting a quote if that's of any concern.
Craftinsure is a good website to get an instant quote: Craftinsure Boat Insurance | Compare Yacht, Narrowboat, Dinghy, RIB, Speedboat, Canoe and Kayak Insurance
I agree with murv. Don’t worry about it. If you are planning to keep it in a marina then insurance will most likely be the cheapest cost you have.

Chris_d

Visit site
As this is the Thames forum I assume you are looking at an Inland policy, possibly this allows 30 or 60days coastal use usually defined as beyond the Thames barrier, thats what mine says.
I can vaguely remember declaring my experience but it didn't make any difference, I now have 25 years with the same company and no claims, they knock about £90 ncb off for that! Cost is fairly cheap at about £300pa for £40K insured and the 3 mill 3rd party cover required by the EA.
A full coastal policy might be very different though.