Norfolk Broads

Mark26

Visit site
Here I sit, dreaming of long, COVID free summers, and I wonder if there’s anyone here that has cruised from the Thames/Medway to the Norfolk Broads? I’m sure there must be.
What’s the cruising distance?
Did you enjoy it?

oldgit

Visit site
Hi, Mark came the other way recently and several of our club members have gone the other way over the years.
Helped a friend bring a boat back from Brundle to MDL Chatham last month.
One remarkable trip by an owner who did the entire trip overnight to Lowestoft in a Seamaster 30, seem to recall he ended the journey on one engine as well .
Its about 70 miles Medway to Lowestoft.
Interesting bits, planning, getting the tides right, going behind the windfarm, watching for lobster pots, other wise, take a good book to read, boring is not the half of it, especially the last bit past Essex.
The oil rigs have replaced the Grain chimney and usual caveats of no East winds against big tides.:)

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
You could make it a bit less boring by doing it in two hops, Medway to Harwich, stop at Ha’Penny pier, visit the fleshpots of Harwich, mainly the Alma Inn.? There are spots of interest around the town if you want to spend a bit more time and have a wander round. Then Harwich to Lowestoft, both an easy distance and comfortable as long as you don’t try it in an Easterly/Northeasterly.

Mark26

Visit site
Hi Leighb, yes I have been looking at creeks and marinas along the way. It’s always nice to spend a cold winters night planning.
The satellite view on google maps is a very useful first reconnaissance tool.

ianc1200

Visit site
Went from the Harwich area to the Broads & had three seasons cruising there. The trip in via Lake Lothing & Mutford lock very interesting, getting timings & permissions right for lifting bridges etc necessary. Found the Broads themselves much different to Thames cruising - almost no informal meadow type moorings, huge numbers of large hire craft, no sanitary stations (so our Porta Potti difficult to empty), difficult to get supplies in some areas and no mobile phone signal in Horning where we based ourselves for two of those seasons.

Leighb

Visit site
Went from the Harwich area to the Broads & had three seasons cruising there. The trip in via Lake Lothing & Mutford lock very interesting, getting timings & permissions right for lifting bridges etc necessary. Found the Broads themselves much different to Thames cruising - almost no informal meadow type moorings, huge numbers of large hire craft, no sanitary stations (so our Porta Potti difficult to empty), difficult to get supplies in some areas and no mobile phone signal in Horning where we based ourselves for two of those seasons.
Just curious what mobile network were you on? On EE we also found Horning to be completely dead, but lots of other areas with patchy signal.

oldgit

Visit site
The Broads.
Whats the situation regards plugging into shore power somewhere. At least on the Thames you can find a marina or three to plug into every few days.
We probably need to tow a barge full of batteries the amount we use.
Assume the distances between destinations is not going to be sufficent for decent battery charge ?

Leighb

Visit site
Quite a lot of the Broads Authority moorings have power outlets, you need to buy cards for those, if you get the Heron Map of the Norfolk Broads I think it shows the BA moorings and which have power. It can be a bit of a lottery to find one that is not being used already. We found that we need to run the engine for battery charging a few times in the 3 weeks we were there. Some marinas have power also.

Plum

Visit site
Here I sit, dreaming of long, COVID free summers, and I wonder if there’s anyone here that has cruised from the Thames/Medway to the Norfolk Broads? I’m sure there must be.
What’s the cruising distance?
Did you enjoy it?
Went there last year and had a very enjoyable week. If you have suitable air draft and particularly if you want to go on the R Bure, then it is much more straightforward to go into Great Yarmouth as then there is no issue with booking bridge lifts and locks.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Portland Billy

Visit site
We have made the trip from the Thames several times, stopping off at Burnham, Harwich, and Southwold en route, on different occasions. Always made the trip back in one hop from Lowestoft.
We have 12ft airdraught but managed to get through Yarmouth at low water, beyond Potter Heigham and Ludham was not possible.
Enjoyed every visit, but last time (2016) was rather windy.
Lowestoft marina and Royal Norfolk a good arrival and departure point.

oldgit

Visit site
We have made the trip from the Thames several times, stopping off at Burnham, Harwich, and Southwold en route, on different occasions. Always made the trip back in one hop from Lowestoft.
We have 12ft airdraught but managed to get through Yarmouth at low water, beyond Potter Heigham and Ludham was not possible.
Enjoyed every visit, but last time (2016) was rather windy.
Lowestoft marina and Royal Norfolk a good arrival and departure point.

Did you go behind the Windfarm or outside. ?
Outside seems a lot less less fuss and bother regards tides ,why do folks seem to prefer that convoluted inshore route

Easticks28

Visit site
Went there last year and had a very enjoyable week. If you have suitable air draft and particularly if you want to go on the R Bure, then it is much more straightforward to go into Great Yarmouth as then there is no issue with booking bridge lifts and locks.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

When planning a passage into the Broads through Gt Yarmouth, It's worth taking account of the fact that low water in the mouth of the R. Bure is 1 hour later than that usually given for the port , which is at the harbour mouth.

Portland Billy

Visit site
I go via Middle Deep and Wallet Spitway, then inshore route.
Keeping a good lookout for pot markers which are sometimes bits of black plastic bag on a stick and hard to spot on a cloudy day!