Newbie help/advice please

realslimshady

Visit site
As you may have noticed on my other thread, we're going to put our boat on the Thames at Caversham and then move her to Penton Hook. Never boated on a river before. So any hints/tips/guidance welcome. We are familiar with how a lock works :).
I also doubt we'll do it in one day, so an overnight stop will be required...
All help appreciated.

jct1981

Visit site
Take care in the downstream currents, especially at Sonning Bridge which you'll find tight. This will be your first bridge, just after Sonning lock, and the river can flow quickly through there. You'll have right of way heading downstream, but steerage might be difficult, so make sure you go slow on approach & line yourself up.

Def will need an overnight given the short days we're in, and that might need some planning given your draught. Possibly contact Bourne End marina as they have mid-river pontoons, rather than risking a shallow banked area.

And everyone on the river waves at each other - we're not barmy :)

Chris_d

Visit site
As you will be operating all the locks yourselves make sure you read the instructions at every lock, they aren't all the same and if you press buttons at the wrong time or don't wait long enough for a light to stop flashing etc.. you can very easily lock the systems up and get stuck. Have patience they catch even the most experienced out sometimes.

Scapegoat

Visit site
This is a good reference book - Imray’s The River Thames Book by Chris Cove-Smith ISBN 9781846237157.
You’ll also need a river licence (visitors probably for 2020) and BSC.
Lovely trip if you get some sunshine - Windsor has some good moorings. Take cash for mooring fees

realslimshady

Visit site
This is a good reference book - Imray’s The River Thames Book by Chris Cove-Smith ISBN 9781846237157.
You’ll also need a river licence (visitors probably for 2020) and BSC.
Lovely trip if you get some sunshine - Windsor has some good moorings. Take cash for mooring fees

BSS is in hand and understood about the licence.

Also check all the bridge heights are ok. Allow a bit of leeway in case the river level is up a bit. You can check levels and flow rates here:
Gaugemap

Checked the bridges and all is fine.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It's good timing as the River has slowed down a lot now.
Windsor is ok as a half way stop. I would be a bit surprised if anyone came out to collect mooring fees.

There is actually a free EA mooring just below Eton bridge on the left side going downstream. It's well signed. There are one or two annoying residents in the flats there but it IS a free 24 hour mooring and if you are only stopping overnight they have no valid complaint.
Eta
THIS MOORING IS QUITE CLOSE TO THE WEIR SO NOT ADVISABLE IF THE RIVER IS FLOWING FAST DUE TO THE POTENTIAL FOR PROBLEMS TURNING THE BOAT.
(Sorry about the capitals it was added later but I realised quite important for larger boats).

We want this mooring to remain available so please use it. There is foot access to Windsor from there.

This is a Google view from opposite with Eton bridge shown in the background

Having said that if you do not require shopping access then I would suggest a better option would be above Boveney lock outside the rowing club where there is a EA mooring with plenty of bollards. It's actually a very nice quiet mooring.

No street view available but it's level with the rowing lakes.

You will recognise it as it is just after a sharp 90 degree bend on the left hand side coming down there is a large boat house with a curved roof. Then a mooring with bollards and a proper made up bank.

Coordinates from Google maps
F9Q2+8F Windsor

Last edited:

Portland Billy

Visit site
I would reckon on two overnight stops during the short daylight hours.
First at Marlow and second at Windsor or the 'rowing lake moorings' mentioned above.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I suppose it depends on when the wagon arrives at Caversham.

I was thinking that this would be an afternoon arrival followed by the owners staying on the boat for the night at the delivery location (if allowed) then an early start off down the River.

So it would be a 3 day job but only one night on the River itself if done that way.

Alternatively if not allowed to stay there just above Sonning lock would be ok if it was getting later in the day.

To calculate the trip properly delivery time would be needed.

It's true that Windsor is a bit of a trek down from Reading.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Fair point yes worth avoiding traveling in the dark if unfamiliar with the River.

Someone came past downstream at Medmenham last night about 3am. Having done the same myself once I did wonder how they got on with the Black Boy and Frogmill islands. It gets a bit bendy there and narrow !

Local knowledge needed or good GPS navigation skills.

Last edited:

realslimshady

Visit site
I suppose it depends on when the wagon arrives at Caversham.

I was thinking that this would be an afternoon arrival followed by the owners staying on the boat for the night at the delivery location (if allowed) then an early start off down the River.

So it would be a 3 day job but only one night on the River itself if done that way.

Alternatively if not allowed to stay there just above Sonning lock would be ok if it was getting later in the day.

To calculate the trip properly delivery time would be needed.

It's true that Windsor is a bit of a trek down from Reading.

The tentative plan is-if all goes swimmingly and the boat is in the water in the afternoon, overnight at Thames and Kennet, then Bourne End the next day. If the boat goes in the water the next day, hopefully still enough time to make Bourne End in daylight.... We have to get on with it, work etc. But hopefully that's a realistic timescale?

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Cookham just above the bridge might be better. Usually the public mooring by the railway at Spade Oak is let as winter moorings with no gaps.

I still think above Boveney is manageable in a day.

Another option could be below Maidenhead railway bridge but it's a bit shallow there so would not recommend it for that particular boat.

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Public mooring at Spade Oak now full with winter moorers - but plenty of room at Cookham village - and above Cookham lock

realslimshady

Visit site
Cookham just above the bridge might be better. Usually the public mooring by the railway at Spade Oak is let as winter moorings with no gaps.

I still think above Boveney is manageable in a day.

Another option could be below Maidenhead railway bridge but it's a bit shallow there so would not recommend it for that particular boat.
Why might Cookham 'be better' oitd?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Why might Cookham 'be better' oitd?
Because of Bourne end being full of winter moorers.

Interesting that Cookham is now full - there was space last weekend.

Same thing. Cookham above the bridge is let as winter moorings. Quite a good deal as well so not surprised it has filled up.

So maybe Marlow is a better option.

I would be a bit tempted to just stop at the top of the lock cut at Boulter's actually on the first bollards. If it's just for the night and going early in morning it really isn't going to be a problem. It's a very long lay-by above that lock.

NOT something I would advocate in the boating season but end of November ... And just for the night...

Outside chance that Ralph the lock keeper might turn up but I doubt it.

A bit of road noise but if you get to Cookham in one hit and it's getting dark then it's probably the easiest place to just stop and tie up. Half an hour down from Cookham lock.

Boulter's lock cut top end

51.5351880, -0.7001203

Last edited: