Size matters

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Seems they ought to start a subsidiary event called The JOKERS.

Name and shame please.

What do the organisers say?
Ewan S-T, when asked specifically, said I can use my 33' for the Ireland or the Azores, but not the transatlantic Jesters which seems fair enough.

Sandy

Visit site
The festival marks the 21st June 1623 raid on Baltimore ...so generally around that time ... I'd guess 18th to 21st this year.. Covid permitting...
Thanks pandos. As I said, Pirate Festivals have no interest for me as I don't do dressing up. I'll do the trip one day as "Not the Jester Baltimore Challenge" and enjoy the natural beauty of the town without the festival.

pandos

Visit site
Thanks pandos. As I said, Pirate Festivals have no interest for me as I don't do dressing up. I'll do the trip one day as "Not the Jester Baltimore Challenge" and enjoy the natural beauty of the town without the festival.
I can assure you I wont be doing dressing up either,.... one of the things about no rules is that there cannot be a rule making us dress up.....

zoidberg

Visit site
:giggle:

The Pirates' Party is held by the Baltimore SC for its own members and for Jesters as guests, as part of the whole village's celebrations. That club has its rules.... and if they stipulate 'Pirate Dress' they're entitled to do so.

There's no requirement to participate. You are free to stay on your boat and make your own arrangements....

:giggle:

pandos

Visit site
Apologies I typed in the wrong date... 20th June 1621

Sack of Baltimore
June 20, 1631

The Sack of Baltimore took place on 20 June 1631, when the village of Baltimore in West Cork, Ireland, was attacked by the Ottoman Algeria from the Barbary Coast of North Africa – Dutchmen, Algerians and Ottoman Turks. The attack was the largest by Barbary pirates on either Ireland or Great Britain. Wikipedia
Date: June 20, 1631

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I've just received this book, and the 'Pirate Festival' commemorates what happened on Mon 20th June 1631.
It draws upon ancient documents and the author is a rigorous historian of his local history and a decent writer.

A heavily-armed joint amphibious force, consisting of 230 elite troops of the Ottoman Empire, (now Turkey) plus transport and logistics from hardened pirates of the Barbary Coast (now Algeria) stormed ashore at the small port of Baltimore.

Those who resisted were put to the sword, the village was plundered, and the women and children were brutally gang-raped.

The living were tied up and thrown into ships.
Those who were taken numbered:
50 children 'even those in the cradle'.
34 grown women.
Some two dozen men.

It would go down in history as the most devastating raid ever carried out by forces of the Islamic Jihad upon the British Isles.

So this pirate festival is a bit different.

I hope my post is of interest. By the way, the book is well bound and typeset, with some fairly generic 12FE928C-1D83-4962-A872-0CB945C8E906-1271-0000024F401D1264.jpgD5F630CA-529E-4098-8BFD-C1E7FFE17981-1271-0000024F447CBEDD.jpgillustrations of Barbary pirates of the C17th.

Hallberg-Rassy

Visit site
It would go down in history as the most devastating raid ever carried out by forces of the Islamic Jihad upon the British Isles.
Except it wasn't some kind of Islamic Jihad.

I wonder who'd be more upset by that, Muslims or Irish being told Baltimore was in the British Isles?

I've come across Right wing Americans jumping all over it and using it as justification for invading the Middle East in a "they started it first" manner, and their slavery. Even though the Barbary Coast isn't even in the Middle East.

It's not a real history book.

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site

I wonder who'd be more upset by that, Muslims or Irish being told Baltimore was in the British Isles?

I've come across Right wing Americans jumping all over it and using it as justification for invading the Middle East in a "they started it first" manner, and their slavery. Even though the Barbary Coast isn't even in the Middle East.

IMG_4333.jpg

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site

I didn't mean to start an argument, it's exactly what the author says in the preface.

pandos

Visit site

I don't think Irish people take exception to referring to the the islands as the British isles...

Just like I am sure not many British people get upset at the 'Irish sea".

however it is important to point out that the raid on Baltimore was a mere trifling affair by comparison with other raids and acts carried out in ireland in that era.

Hence it is necessary to differentiate by including some reference to algerians/real faraway foreigners etc... as oppossed to our nearer neighbours...

zoidberg

Visit site
however it is important to point out that the raid on Baltimore was a mere trifling affair by comparison with other raids and acts carried out in ireland in that era. Hence it is necessary to differentiate by including some reference to algerians/real faraway foreigners etc... as oppossed to our nearer neighbours...

I'd be pleased to have my knowledge expanded some time in the near future, preferably over a pint or three of Murphy's......

Hallberg-Rassy

Visit site
I don't think Irish people take exception to referring to the the islands as the British isles...
The Irish nationalists in Eire aren't keen on it. It's been the foundation of many and ongoing arguments.

I note the author, who isn't actually a historian, actually wrote "Islamist" which is a sort of modern thing. I think the PC are trying to separate "good" Muslims and "bad" (terrorist) Islamists. However, it unfairly represents what was going on with the Corsairs and that it was some kind of "Islamic" attack on Great Britain.

It wasn't. They didn't not represent anyone but their own interests.

The facts and full story of the Corsairs, and those they took for whatever reason, is far more nuanced and interesting. Starting with the fact that many or most of them weren't even Arabs or Muslims, including in some cases Englishmen and other Northern Europeans; and how even the book reports, many of the abducted chose to remain in North Africa and converted out of preference.

The world was far more diverse back then.

It would be like saying the Mafia represented the Italian people and government.

As an example, there's another related story of one Helen Gloag (1750–1790), born in Muthill, Perthshire, Scotland, who after being captured by them went on to become the Empress of Morocco.

Not exactly a similar story to those Africans taken to the Caribbean and North America.

sailor211

Visit site
This getting a bit off Jester Challenge, And bending rules on size, in a no rules “non organisation “.

Pirate festival is a good reason to down a few beers and exchange tall stories about a shared experience. I do not do dressing up but after a long singlehanded sail happily put on a stripped t shirt and wooden leg to join in

doug748

Visit site
From the RWYC website re the original OSTAR....

The current 'Jester' event commemorates Major Haslar's ethos, and his boat 'Jester'. It is not named after 'Gypsy Moth III'.... which is commemorated elsewhere.

As a matter of interest, Gypsy Moth III has recently been brought ashore in the Torpoint boatyard.

pandos

Visit site
The Irish nationalists in Eire aren't keen on it. It's been the foundation of many and ongoing arguments.
Not exactly a similar story to those Africans taken to the Caribbean and North America.

There are many things that Irish people are not keen on... one of my pet dislikes is people calling Ireland, Éire or the Republic of Ireland ROI etc..., I am aware that it is usually through a lack of knowledge rather than deliberately being offensive..

without wanting to take in any way from the African slave trade, a good book to read on the topic of slaves and the Caribbean is.

Amazon.com: To Hell or Barbados: The ethnic cleansing of Ireland (8601200416800): O'Callaghan, Sean: Books

The most disturbing book I read for many years,