Boat share syndicate SoF/Italy

Seejay

Visit site
New commitments have led to a change from purchasing a 42 fly outright to looking at a boat share for a c. 50’ fly in the above area (From Cannes down to Elba). I thought that it was would have been easier to find possible solutions but a search led to only boatsharefinder and yachtshare.net , with only a couple of suitable vessels between them. Am I missing something, other places I could find suitable offers? Thanks...CJ

Seastoke

Visit site
New commitments have led to a change from purchasing a 42 fly outright to looking at a boat share for a c. 50’ fly in the above area (From Cannes down to Elba). I thought that it was would have been easier to find possible solutions but a search led to only boatsharefinder and yachtshare.net , with only a couple of suitable vessels between them. Am I missing something, other places I could find suitable offers? Thanks...CJ
ebay.

jrudge

Visit site
I have never owned a boat share but did own a share of a plane.

We knew each other and bought together.

The drawback of most schemes seems that the weeks are allocated on a rota with no regard for people who do or don’t want school holidays etc. Yes to can swap but it might not work out.

I have no issue owning a share but for the above reason I would never do it.

If you know people you can be up front. I need all of July does that work ? If someone else wants august and the other partners idea of hell is the med in July and august then everyone is happy.

I would try for form a syndicate around a boat. To have thebest odds of finding people you need to choose a popular location. Sof /Mallorca etc.

good luck

Seejay

Visit site
I have never owned a boat share but did own a share of a plane.

We knew each other and bought together.

The drawback of most schemes seems that the weeks are allocated on a rota with no regard for people who do or don’t want school holidays etc. Yes to can swap but it might not work out.

I have no issue owning a share but for the above reason I would never do it.

If you know people you can be up front. I need all of July does that work ? If someone else wants august and the other partners idea of hell is the med in July and august then everyone is happy.

I would try for form a syndicate around a boat. To have thebest odds of finding people you need to choose a popular location. Sof /Mallorca etc.

good luck

Yes, thanks for your input and good point which I had considered. I know the set up has its advantages/disadvantages, but I bought a Porsche with 2 friends as a 3rd car when (much) younger and although different it worked really well, hence the desire to give it a go with a boat. Unfortunately none of them (read their wives....) are into boats! I had a 38‘ in Antibes until 15 years ago but now other interests/weekend home mean I’d never use a boat more than a very few weeks a year.
I will give the idea of creating a syndicate a go if I dont find what I’m looking for.
Any takers?!

Seejay

Visit site
just had a 40k refit

Yes I saw that on ebay, the kind of deal I’m interested in but living in Milan I want something within driving distance....
I didn’t see the refit mentioned on the ad so I immagine you know/own the boat. Purely out of interest, subtracting mooring costs (and I don’t want to turn this into a ‘how much to maintain’ thread!) what does yearly upkeep look like - ballpark?

Seastoke

Visit site
Yes I saw that on ebay, the kind of deal I’m interested in but living in Milan I want something within driving distance....
I didn’t see the refit mentioned on the ad so I immagine you know/own the boat. Purely out of interest, subtracting mooring costs (and I don’t want to turn this into a ‘how much to maintain’ thread!) what does yearly upkeep look like - ballpark?
No conection , just interested.

Portofino

Visit site
May be your best bet is to ask the brokers based in Ligurian marinas .Or put a notice in marina offices FB pages etc .
There‘s a lot of Milanese in our marina 50 ft seems popular.
They arrive about 8 pm Fridays and disappear 4/5 pm Sunday in the summer .
17DD5133-2AB9-46E2-A538-21ECE043269D.jpeg
Secure underground parking as well = shade .

jrudge

Visit site
Your biggest cost is mooring. On the mainland for an 18m boat is maybe e10k. In Mallorca it is e35k.

insurance£2k, basic maintenance and anti foul £6k . Other stuff that breaks £5/6k. Fuel. Down to you but say e10k

So call it e40-e50k per annum.

Portofino

Visit site
Italians seem to get by with very little around there islands in the summer .
You could pick up Itama 38;( or similiar) for circa €135 K or less .
Sort of try before you buy .

Seejay

Visit site
Your biggest cost is mooring. On the mainland for an 18m boat is maybe e10k. In Mallorca it is e35k.

insurance£2k, basic maintenance and anti foul £6k . Other stuff that breaks £5/6k. Fuel. Down to you but say e10k

So call it e40-e50k per annum.

Thought so, thanks.
I see why many of the boat shares are in Spain. Mainland much cheaper than SofF and Mallorca, imho, better. But I can’t drive there in 3 hours!

Seejay

Visit site
Sof is ( at list price ) about e17k but and it is a huge but it is very difficult to rent a berth. Most on here buy them.

Years ago I spent 12 months looking for a berth in Antibes to no avail. Had to buy one in the end. Sold in in 2006 after 4 years use for much more than I bought it for so can’t immagine how much the new leases are !

Seejay

Visit site

Possibility - in fact I’m currently doing the Italian licence to keep that option open (no need previously on my British flag) but at 10k (?) per week to charter then a syndicate starts looking attractive, if more difficult to find it seems...