Go Big or Go Home?

MapisM

Visit site
Aha, I see.
In fairness, as I think to have said, I've only been on one Sq55 (whose first ownwer was a rather famous chap btw, but that's neither here nor there in this contest), because that was enough to rule her out from my search, there and then.
And funnily, I went to see her expecting to find a boat only marginally less good than the 58 - as many folks tend to think of those two models.
But I couldn't have been more wrong: chalk and cheese, really.

GravyStain

Visit site
Aha, I see.
In fairness, as I think to have said, I've only been on one Sq55 (whose first ownwer was a rather famous chap btw, but that's neither here nor there in this contest), because that was enough to rule her out from my search, there and then.
And funnily, I went to see her expecting to find a boat only marginally less good than the 58 - as many folks tend to think of those two models.
But I couldn't have been more wrong: chalk and cheese, really.
I think the beam is 15cm different, so half what you were thinking. A big difference looks like the flybridge though, not as good as the 58.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
I think the beam is 15cm different, so half what you were thinking.
Upon inspection of the 55, gut feeling told me that she was much smaller than the 58, so back then I did check the actual difference.
But I must admit that in my previous post I was going by heart.
Now, I just re-checked MBY reviews (Jan 96 and Jul 01 respectively for the 55 and 58), and according to them it's 4.65 vs. 4.88, which makes the latter 23cm wider. So, yes, a bit less than I remembered, but more than half anyway.

Regardless, at the end of the day perception matters more than any numbers.
That difference came across (to me, anyway) as huge, but probably it's more a merit of the 58, rather than a problem of the 55.
In fact, in terms of roomy feeling, I would put the 58 just about on par with my boat, even if nominally she's actually a bit beamier, at 4.96.

Bouba

Visit site
We are waiting :) :unsure:
I have been using the passerelle for about a month before lockdown. And the day before lockdown I had finished tinkering with it, I was planning on giving it a good test for a couple of days then write up the story. Now we have to wait until after lockdown and probably next season!

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Fairest result for everybody concerned

PHOTO-2020-11-22-15-25-05.jpg

GravyStain

Visit site
Upon inspection of the 55, gut feeling told me that she was much smaller than the 58, so back then I did check the actual difference.
But I must admit that in my previous post I was going by heart.
Now, I just re-checked MBY reviews (Jan 96 and Jul 01 respectively for the 55 and 58), and according to them it's 4.65 vs. 4.88, which makes the latter 23cm wider. So, yes, a bit less than I remembered, but more than half anyway.

Regardless, at the end of the day perception matters more than any numbers.
That difference came across (to me, anyway) as huge, but probably it's more a merit of the 58, rather than a problem of the 55.
In fact, in terms of roomy feeling, I would put the 58 just about on par with my boat, even if nominally she's actually a bit beamier, at 4.96.
What boat do you have (if you don't mind me asking)?