Toilet seacock 1.5" need to replace

wiggy

Visit site
This is my set up, the old ones were Beneteau original fit, nearly 20 years ago and apart from being very stiff we’re not badly corroded. My new ones are DZR from ASAP and as you can see it’s a very tight squeeze. I would have like to use the reinforced plastic designs but they are far to chunky.

Attachments

• 2A254D4A-F77B-4B9B-B87B-35E0182A9A85.jpeg
    2A254D4A-F77B-4B9B-B87B-35E0182A9A85.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 46

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Will check next time. Still got 3 to be removed. I actually assumed anything not bronze (or SS, etc.) was DZR, didn’t know it was a new thing. Couldn’t be straight brass, though, surely wouldn’t have survived any time at all? Corroded areas were pink and crumbly (presumed dezincified!).
Until very recently most seacocks in production boats were leaded 60/40 brass. I believe that some of the expensive names in yachting, Hallberg Rassy for example, still fit seacocks of that composition, made by Guidi. The YM campaign of some years ago changed attitudes to some extent and led to the far more satisfactory situation that exists now, with the complete fitting made of DZR. Maistrini produce the ones marketed by ASAP and several yacht producers now fit them.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I also have to replace my heads seacocks (60 yr old bronze Blakes, they are just worn out despite lapping) and I'm definitely using DZR ball valves from ASAP.
I re-engined last year at vast expense, and used Maestrini DZR for the new seawater cock and skin fitting. I am happy that they are the best available.

Rafiki

Visit site
The wood around is rotten and when I unblocked the toilet I discovered the valve does not shut off. I am lifting out next week for 4 weeks so what would be a good replacement thanks.
Why would you not use the traditional Blakes Seacock. It includes the Thru hull as well as the valve etc and is the only type of seacock that can be taken apart each year and serviced ( only if out of the water of course !!)

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Why would you not use the traditional Blakes Seacock. It includes the Thru hull as well as the valve etc and is the only type of seacock that can be taken apart each year and serviced ( only if out of the water of course !!)
I did not fit them they was on the boat when purchased . i will replace with a blakes as the plastic ones are too big and its in a tight space.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I did not fit them they was on the boat when purchased . i will replace with a blakes as the plastic ones are too big and its in a tight space.
When I was deputy leader of DCC a few years back, the leader said, can you go to Rhyl Yacht Club. There are some cyclist types coming along to seek support, they want to bid for some monies to do a cycle path around north wales, part of it would be a cycle bridge across the Foryd. So off I went, there was a DCC engineer present. They pitched up, excited, anoraks, talking about the merits of cycle friendly railway stations and such. Turned out that there was a welsh government initiative on making a cycle track all around wales and that crossing rhyl harbour would join part of it up. Bids were being made for some lottery or such funding. The imoortant thing though from us yottie points of view was that the funding could help refurbish the harbour. So bavk I went the the leader and the ceo of DCC. I fired them up, the compettitive bid was made and put in, we won! And so the rebirth of Rhyl harbour began. I made sure the project was kept on path!

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
When I was deputy leader of DCC a few years back, the leader said, can you go to Rhyl Yacht Club. There are some cyclist types coming along to seek support, they want to bid for some monies to do a cycle path around north wales, part of it would be a cycle bridge across the Foryd. So off I went, there was a DCC engineer present. They pitched up, excited, anoraks, talking about the merits of cycle friendly railway stations and such. Turned out that there was a welsh government initiative on making a cycle track all around wales and that crossing rhyl harbour would join part of it up. Bids were being made for some lottery or such funding. The imoortant thing though from us yottie points of view was that the funding could help refurbish the harbour. So bavk I went the the leader and the ceo of DCC. I fired them up, the compettitive bid was made and put in, we won! And so the rebirth of Rhyl harbour began. I made sure the project was kept on path!
Do you have a boat at Rhyl Harbour im lifting out Friday morning.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
In my opinion: Yes, the Blakes ones include a through-hull. It will probably be the wrong length, as will the grossly over-priced fasteners with funny threads and spanner sizes. DZR valves and through-hulls however, can be purchased seperately, in a choice of lengths and bends, and have matching threads.
Yes, Blakes cocks can be ground in with valve paste. Ball valves don't need grinding in...

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
In my opinion: Yes, the Blakes ones include a through-hull. It will probably be the wrong length, as will the grossly over-priced fasteners with funny threads and spanner sizes. DZR valves and through-hulls however, can be purchased seperately, in a choice of lengths and bends, and have matching threads.
Yes, Blakes cocks can be ground in with valve paste. Ball valves don't need grinding in...
Ahhg I got some valve paste sounds like a good idea so it sits nice and flush .

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Ahhg I got some valve paste sounds like a good idea so it sits nice and flush .
Yes if you haven't tried that, it works really well. Unless the cone and taper are deeply scratched and damaged, which is quite common from bits of grit. Last time Idid it, I worked out a way to connect the cone to a cordless Makita drill. That saved a lot of elbow grease..and there wasn't room for elbows anyway..

Pete7

Visit site
Have you seen the price?

Blakes Seacock Valve for 38mm (1-1/2") ID Hose

How many have you got to do? Suggest you stick with plastic or DZR. Oh and whilst old blakes seacocks might have been made from the finest Bronze, cast in a Black Country foundary and lovingly lapped in, the current range are DZR.

Pete

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Have you seen the price?

Blakes Seacock Valve for 38mm (1-1/2") ID Hose

How many have you got to do? Suggest you stick with plastic or DZR. Oh and whilst old blakes seacocks might have been made from the finest Bronze, cast in a Black Country foundary and lovingly lapped in, the current range are DZR.

Pete
They have been DZR since the mid 1980s. Blakes themselves don't know the exact changeover date but I am pretty sure mine from 1984 are brass rather than bronze, based on their colur.

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
OMG, we haven't seen anything like that for a while :eek:

A nice Tru Design 1.5" valve with a matching 90 Deg bend will do once you have a new backing piece glassed in. you will want to change that hose for the proper white sanitation hose if you going to do the job properly. Oh and two clips on the hose please, screws opposite each other.

Search Results for tru design |

Pete
The other 2 are no better