Ballslider vs batten track

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Assuming that you are asking about batten cars for a full batten mainsail
Ball cars run up the mast very smoothly and are expensive.
The cheap alternative is to use a standard mast track toggle with a full batten pocket just behind it. Not as smooth but well affordable.
Batten Pocket Forward.png

tjbrace

Visit site
I have replaced all my fb main slides with ballslide cars. It is a big and expensive improvement but I think a track fitted into the mast groove with appropriate cars is a better option.

geem

Visit site
I have replaced all my fb main slides with ballslide cars. It is a big and expensive improvement but I think a track fitted into the mast groove with appropriate cars is a better option.
I had the track fitted in to the mast groove on the last boat with ball bearing cars. I find the cars with external wheel type cars as fitted to the current boat every bit as good. I dont know why but we seem to have less friction

BabaYaga

Visit site
@Ladinbed: wonder if rutgerson ballslider cars and harken battcar on track makes a difference in performance
Rutgerson battcars have wheels that run against the aft face of the mast. No ball bearings on these, as far as I know (not on mine, anyway). But inbetween the 4 or 5 battcars are just ordinary slides. So I assume a dedicated track with all ball slider (like Harken?) would give even less friction.

geem

Visit site
Rutgerson battcars have wheels that run against the aft face of the mast. No ball bearings on these, as far as I know (not on mine, anyway). But inbetween the 4 or 5 battcars are just ordinary slides. So I assume a dedicated track with all ball slider (like Harken?) would give even less friction.
If you have sliders in between battcars then thats your choice and will add to the friction. We have cars on every sail attachment to the mast. Super low friction

johnalison

Visit site
Sliders between cars are not carrying the weight of the sail into the track and so should not do more than add a little friction, no more than with a non full-length set-up. The main cause of effort on mine is the weight of the sail, plus friction in the old clutches, which I now prefer to leave open while hoisting.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
My previous boat Jaguar 27 had full length battens with the common HA sliders- it a right pain dropping the main, local sail maker at SYH replaced them with black plastic sliders which transformed - they just dropped when head to wind.

BabaYaga

Visit site
But there are also none batten cars for use between battcars. Thats what we have
Yes, this difference between the two design concepts is what I was trying to convey to the OP in my post #8.
Edit: My post was in answer to the OP, who asked about Rutgerson cars vs. ”Harken on track”. Rereading your post #7 I realise that your system is different from both these.
Edit 2: Something like this, perhaps:
Pressure absorbing slide - Rutgerson Marin

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
My main is very similar. Goes up easily and if I keep the track clean drops straight down. Ideally I need to be straight into the wind to raise and drop but 10 degrees either side is OK.

geem

Visit site
Yes, this difference between the two design concepts is what I was trying to convey to the OP in my post #8.
Edit: My post was in answer to the OP, who asked about Rutgerson cars vs. ”Harken on track”. Rereading your post #7 I realise that your system is different from both these.
Edit 2: Something like this, perhaps:
Pressure absorbing slide - Rutgerson Marin
Yes, we have those between battcars. It works very well.