Hopeless Raymarine customer service

Rosie48

Visit site
I have had two interactions with Raymarine this year. Most recently I asked them if there was an alternative to the hard cover of my new Axiom plotter which I can’t remove without using a screwdriver. Firstly she told me that if it was the one supplied with the plotter ‘no wonder it was difficult to remove’. Then she said she’d send me an alternative. Then she said I’d have to order it myself but didn’t know the part number!

Prior to that I asked for advice about my sounder which kept failing. Raymarine said I needed a new display instrument because ‘the fibreglass was too thick on my boat’ I said the sounder had been ok for years and other boat owners with even thicker fibreglass used the same transducer and display instrument In the event I reseated the transducer and saved myself 800£

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have also found Raymarine service to be less than good. I called them once about a MFD that wouldn't get a reliable GPS position (inbuilt GPS) and was told that "perhaps they have turned the GPS satellites off", i kid not.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I called into their head office with my DSC VHF which was dead. They took it away whilst I waited and tested it and said that it was not a simple job but they could probably repair it but not whilst I waited. The Guy then suggested that they sell me an identical reconditioned one in a box with all the gubbins exactly the same as a new one and it would have the normal 1 year guarantee and they would even programme in my MMSI.

I asked how much and the guy said £50. I said but that would probably be cheaper than the repair cost plus postage/fuel cost for the old one and he agreed that £50 would be a lot cheaper. I bought the reconditioned one and it was like brand new and is still working perfectly several years later.

Richard

Momac

Visit site
The Guy then suggested that they sell me an identical reconditioned one in a box with all the gubbins exactly the same as a new one and it would have the normal 1 year guarantee and they would even programme in my MMSI.

I asked how much and the guy said £50. I said but that would probably be cheaper than the repair cost plus postage/fuel cost for the old one and he agreed that £50 would be a lot cheaper. I bought the reconditioned one and it was like brand new and is still working perfectly several years later.

In that case very good service , a bargain.

I bought a Raymarine Ray260e about a year ago as factory refurbished. It may have been ex display but was in completely as new condition except the cardboard box was damaged . Considerably cheaper than the new price but somewhat more than £50.

Some of the current factory refurbished prices aren't bargains .
Raymarine Store - Buy Refurbished Products | Raymarine - A Brand by FLIR

Quandary

Visit site
Rather than use a screwdriver can I suggest that you might try a tape pull. Loop (or two) of strong rot resistant fabric tape at least big enough to get a finger through superglued to the inside lower edge of the cover. this is the solution I have had to use to remove a 'bang on' panel behind a hidden cistern WC pan at home. Or perhaps you could fix an eye to it, the screwdriver can not be doing a lot of good. Perhaps a couple of small holes near the bottom front with a loop of bootlace?

Rosie48

Visit site
Rather than use a screwdriver can I suggest that you might try a tape pull. Loop (or two) of strong rot resistant fabric tape at least big enough to get a finger through superglued to the inside lower edge of the cover. this is the solution I have had to use to remove a 'bang on' panel behind a hidden cistern WC pan at home. Or perhaps you could fix an eye to it, the screwdriver can not be doing a lot of good. Perhaps a couple of small holes near the bottom front with a loop of bootlace?

Rosie48

Visit site
Yes I’m sure there are all sorts of possibilities but why not manuracture a cover that is fit for purpose.
in response to the recon unit post, I send another plotter back to Raymarine as they said they would hopefully fix and if not they’d let me have the , then, new Axiom at half price. Many weeks later they said they couldn’t fix and offered me a new unit at considerably more than I could buy instantly from Force4

XDC

Visit site
I was advised to push my cover in at the centre and pull the tab.

It works but I'm convinced that one day I'll hurl the cover over the side of the boat as it comes free ?

GrahamD

Visit site
That’s not been my experience of Raymarine customer service. Over time I have replaced all the electronics in my boat with Raymarine kit. Every time I have had a problem, I have phoned their technical support has been both expert, and most importantly, patient!

NormanS

Visit site
That’s not been my experience of Raymarine customer service. Over time I have replaced all the electronics in my boat with Raymarine kit. Every time I have had a problem, I have phoned their technical support has been both expert, and most importantly, patient!
When I had a problem with a new Raymarine MFD, something to do with it recognising and accepting an existing transducer, the tech support I got was excellent. The guy patiently talked me through the procedure until it worked.

harvey38

Visit site
Got to agree with others, I had a problem with my Quantum radar not connecting to my e97, I received an email response within two hours of a phone call with the solution.

I'm happy.

prv

Visit site
I’m baffled at people having difficulty removing the cover from their Axiom plotters. I’ve had one for three years without any trouble.

Pete