Craneage on the Thames

Pump-Out

Visit site
how big is that crane at Henley ? as private boatyard they just might entertain a hired in crane.
About a 35T from memory; not big enough I suspect- The other issue is that, by this time of year many of the yards have full hardstanding, and no room to move the truck, even if you get permission to use a third party crane.

That draft is a big lump for the upper reaches, I've done most of it with six foot draft, but that was a few years now, and I don't want to start that dredging row again!

For a fixed crane Caversham is the best bet, absolutely no doubt.

For yards that might let you hire in try Harleyford, that puts you a day further downstream or, and I have no idea if they would play ball try Bates Wharf - about thirty minutes from here yo want to end up?

Chris_d

Visit site
Looking at the picture in the first post, the lady standing at the front can't be much more than 1.75m (5'9"), her neck is level with the waterline and boat is on blocks of at least 1ft, can't see the props and rudders but they can't be that much lower than the keel. So a draft of 4ft or so seems more realistic. 1.75m sounds more like safe minimum depth if you don't want to touch anything solid.

Last edited:

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
According to the EA page you quote the maximum draught is 2.0 m up to Staines and then 1.7 m as far as Windsor. The lock sills may be deeper but that is of little use if you run aground between the locks.

Scapegoat

Visit site
I've just been down the river on the EA page showing recent river levels, and (ignoring the 'upstream' depths, which are inches!) the river is over two metres deep all the way from Reading.

i believe the depths are taken upstream and downstream of each lock but may not be reflective of the depths between locks. Levels are higher than usual at the moment - most of the river is red boarded. The other consequence of this is that bridge clearance heights are reduced. Some bridges are quite curved eg Henley and Windsor so the maximum clearance is in the middle - not necessarily for the full width of your wheelhouse roof.
It might also be worth checking that Reading to PH insurance cover is available with your dimensions. And you’ll probably get stung for a 50% Thames Licence charge if you travel in 2020 rather than waiting for January.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Looking at the picture in the first post, the lady standing at the front can't be much more than 1.75m (5'9"), her neck is level with the waterline and boat is on blocks of at least 1ft, can't see the props and rudders but they can't be that much lower than the keel. So a draft of 4ft or so seems more realistic. 1.75m sounds more like safe minimum depth if you don't want to touch anything solid.
This is what I was getting at earlier.

I reckon its about 4ft maybe 4ft3 draught.

That would also tie in with the claimed weight of 26T.

I would suggest that delivery to Butcher marine at Caversham lakes and a nice run down the River will be fine.

I had a boat delivered there last November as it happens. Smaller boat but they do have proper lifting gear in the form of a 50 tonne travel hoist . And they handle a lot of boats coming by road.

Sitting looking at the River it is moving well and on red boards down here at Henley so if not familiar with the boat there is that to consider. However the stoppage at Cookham has been delayed until after new year so if there is a competent crew not too worried about insurance and proper working engines then Caversham down to Penton is unlikely to cause problems.

Marsh lock has quite a hungry weir as does Marlow and Penton hook.

In fact a few of the weirs are quite keen on having boats for lunch !

Last edited:

realslimshady

Visit site
Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I suppose if the water draft was wrong by a foot then the air draft could also be wrong by a foot. The other way. Which would make it 3.4m.

Still ok for Cookham provided that the River was not massively flooding.

Same goes for Marlow and Windsor both of which are also just above the weirs so not subject to a lot of change in river level.

Worth being cautious but it looks like a boat which would not have problems in terms of air draft traveling down from Reading.

Having said that Sonning bridge could be interesting as it's just below the weir...

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
They have another page showing actual depths measured at all the locks, which today are showing near 3m at all of them. So unless the river shallows between locks...?
Not sure, but if you are looking at live conditions.

The River is currently on red boards almost everywher which means all weirs are fully, or almost fully, drawn.

Once all the weir gates are open the levels are no longer under much control. Basic control has been handed over to mother nature.

The level will be a lot higher than normal below locks than above locks due to the gradient.

Using head and tail water levels via riverlevels websites will not give you an accurate indication of the depth of water available for navigation between locks.

I suppose it might help in a way but it's only measuring the level immediately above one lock and immediately below the next one.

And it is of course subject to change if weirs get shut in due to reducing flow and levels.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
. The boatshed listing said "draft max 1.75". Does this mean "I don't know how deep it is but am being cautious". ?

It does not look like it is that deep.

$_86.JPG

Butcher marine Caversham get it done. If you get stuck then winter mooring in T&K marina?

Slightly surprised Penton Hook wouldn't do it.

I do wonder if there is a covid 19 thing happening with marinas at the moment.

Never had a marina berth myself but I think something has happened with this "lock down" thing.

Another yard which has a big travel hoist is Bushnell's at Wargrave. They will launch from a transporter.

I can't remember what size the hoist is but I think it might be a 30 tonne or possibly upgraded.

I also think it would be worth doing a measurement of the max draft using the boatshed picture of the boat floating to get a waterline.

It will help if you can tell the boatyard the right draft rather than an estimate which was presumably made while the boat was floating .

Last edited:

realslimshady

Visit site
We shall be going to her sometime soon, because we have to get her sorted for a BSC and so on, so I'll take a tape measure :)
I have no idea where the 1.75 figure came from.
Is there anyone actually out on the river at the moment who could confirm the depth, somewhere? So as to compare with the 'official' numbers.
Neither Penton Hook , Shepperton or the EA drydock allow the use of a sub-contract crane.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
We shall be going to her sometime soon, because we have to get her sorted for a BSC and so on, so I'll take a tape measure :)
I have no idea where the 1.75 figure came from.
Is there anyone actually out on the river at the moment who could confirm the depth, somewhere? So as to compare with the 'official' numbers.
Neither Penton Hook , Shepperton or the EA drydock allow the use of a sub-contract crane.

Don't know if you have come across him but the godfather of boat transport is a chap called Ray Bowern. He will know if you can do this as he is fully versed in the lifting side as well as the road transport.

Despite the website name he delivers all kinds of vessels not just barges.

Barge Movers

DEFINITELY worth a call.

Of course this may be who you have already talked to and suggested Royal Docks.

realslimshady

Visit site
Measured her yesterday. Draft is indeed, as suggested, four feet, so that is no longer an issue. Barge movers couldn't do the job, but we have two other contenders who reckon they can move her, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks there'll be some action.