Size matters

zoidberg

Visit site
The Jester Challenge was conceived as a non-race, non-rules 'event' for boats over 20' and under 30'. Self-reliant seamanship under sail alone was the ethos. Many remarkable passages have been completed by skippers in truly Small Craft < 30', and huge respect accrued.

Now more and more inividuals want to 'do' the events in larger and larger craft.... some over three times the displacement of the under 30' boats - which is the way the original OSTAR went, to the eventual exclusion of the true amateur.

One is left wondering what they seek to gain by destroying the very thing they seek to share in. What's the point?

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
A "Jokers" class sounds good, maybe with 10% leeway either side. Then people get to tag along in spirit of the event whilst keeping the event true to it's origin. I sure Ewen insists on the length limit for the bigger challenges, at least to be recorded on the finishing lists.

I do get Wil's perturbation about bigger boats, the gentleman in question also mentioned his 7 yo daughter tagging along rather than flying out to meet him which sounds to me like he needs to find more of a cruise in company across the pond rather than a self reliant singlehanded challenge.

I'm sure if bigger boats left at the same time as Jesters and kept active on the groups beforehand there would be a comradery between people.

zoidberg

Visit site
From the RWYC website re the original OSTAR....

The five pioneer yachtsmen took very different options, with Blondie Hasler (Jester 25ft) opting for an extreme Northern route, Francis Chichester (Gipsy Moth III 40ft) and David Lewis (Cardinal Vertue 25ft) on the Great Circle route and Val Howells (Eira 25ft) and Jean Lacombe (Cap Horn 21.5ft) on the Azores route.

The current 'Jester' event commemorates Major Haslar's ethos, and his boat 'Jester'. It is not named after 'Gypsy Moth III'.... which is commemorated elsewhere.

sailor211

Visit site
Speaking as a “jester competitor” in a 33 foot yacht. I agree that there is a need for a coordinator for a parallel event for those that fall outside the jester sprit certainly over 30’ and possibly modern lightweight flyers designed for oceans such as a mini transat.
Socially the event at the same time would be good. But if numbers were to grow there may need to be separation.

I have done a OSTAR but age and limitations of cost would prohibit doing that again. And I cannot explain why but being part of an event is better than Just doing the same trip. There is that camaraderie of a shared experience that you do not get if it is not an event.

So roll up a “Joker” coordinator. With no rules and minimal organisation it should not be too arduous. Other commitments means it is not for me.

Jester challenge should not loose its ethos.

Hallberg-Rassy

Visit site
And, keeping in the spirit, another called "Damned Fools" for the sub-20' class?

Didn't it feel a little illicit joining in with an extra yard? How does it work, you can sail as support crew but don't count in the final placings?
The current 'Jester' event commemorates Major Haslar's ethos, and his boat 'Jester'. It is not named after 'Gypsy Moth III'.... which is commemorated elsewhere.
The bit I like about that story is how Chichcester won, but arrived utterly wet & exhausted; and how Hasler turned up second (?), but totally relaxed, having spent the entire journey in a cardigan and slippers, smoking his pipe (approx). Way to go.

Funnily enough, one of my happiest possessions is Val's copy of Hasler's book on Junk Rigging. FWIW, I don't think he ever read it! If anyone would really like it, make me an offer.

Last edited:

sailor211

Visit site
There is no formal placing and no rating. So no trophy hunting. Personal achievement.

I have sailed for 40 years. The JBC was taxing and I enjoyed the event. I have to admire other and their achievements. Some sailed farther to get to the start than for the event. Some have not sailed enough to qualify for a more formal event.

If you read about the original OSTAR you will certainly that Chichester was going to win line honours with 42 feet. The last guy to start was a at least a week late starting and was going to NY for a new job. As I recall. Happy to be corrected.

some enter as cheap and cheerful some are well funded. Cannot see a reason to put a cost limit.

Hallberg-Rassy

Visit site
I was going to suggest a veterans' handicap would be fair, but I don't think any of the competitors are exactly spring chickens.

Did you bring the beer for the smaller boats?

Hallberg-Rassy

Visit site
As an aside, I came across this today. First time I'd ever seen Jester sailing. It's a short documentary about Jean Lacombe but features the 1960 and 64 OSTAR starts. I'll try and line it up at the right time, but the whole thing is interesting, si vous parlez Francais or not. It's in French.

How small its sail was.

zoidberg

Visit site
Cements my view that yellow boats are cool ?

Cool yellow...

50583573461_2c86ec19c1_o.jpg

and

50583693202_e042e29c69_o.jpg

'Size matters', but heart or 'moxie' matters more!

pandos

Visit site
I think joker is a great idea... I want to go but I have a 35 footer (34 foot 8) . I cannot go out and buy a sub 30 toot boat just to be in a gang.. in any case I want to be able to sail to and in the Med with my better half and I have nursed my boat back from the brink having bought it as a project.

I will probably tag along anyway ...but I hate feeling illigitimate also.

But I accept the notion of the sub 30 foot rule and the ethos, but wanting to tag along is not wanting to destroy, it is simply likely to be more fun to have others in company on both ends...and to have a date to aim towards, etc...

I also suggest that the second or third solo challenge in a 30 foot boat is less of an achievement than a first solo in a 35 foot boat....

So if anyone is thinking of a joker subclass I'd be very interested...

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I to would be interested in a Joker Class. At 10.1 meters or 33 feet in old money I am oversized, although happy to tag along.

What I have found really frustrating is the total lack of information on dates. While being retired I do have other commitments and I'd need time to sort my diary out to participate.

sailor211

Visit site
I to would be interested in a Joker Class. At 10.1 meters or 33 feet in old money I am oversized, although happy to tag along.

What I have found really frustrating is the total lack of information on dates. While being retired I do have other commitments and I'd need time to sort my diary out to participate.
Dates tend to be around arrival for the Baltimore pirate festival which may not be fixed yet. Also jester challenge is very much no rules abs very little organisation. It works well dispute this.

sailor211

Visit site
Why not all those outside the Jester ethos and size rules, have a second Joker start 10 mins after the jesters. And being gentleman (and ladies) agree not to inhibit any Jester.
Still join in the pre start and post finish beers and tall stories, and still have a date to work towards and go whatever the conditions.