Do I need to winterise my outboard engine?

andyscan

Visit site
Hello this is my first winter owning a boat and I was thinking of taking the outboard off but that is going to be harder than I thought. I have been told if you drain the fuel then it shouldn’t need winterising and can stay in the water. It is is a Tohatsu four stroke outboard engine. The boat is moored in a marina on the Thames. Any advice is much appreciated.

deo gratius

Visit site
Hello this is my first winter owning a boat and I was thinking of taking the outboard off but that is going to be harder than I thought. I have been told if you drain the fuel then it shouldn’t need winterising and can stay in the water. It is is a Tohatsu four stroke outboard engine. The boat is moored in a marina on the Thames. Any advice is much appreciated.
Like you I'm in my first season with an outboard engine.
The on site engineer said that apart from emptying the carb, that nothing more needs doing. I've lifted the prop out of the water. He also said to use fresh fuel when starting up again... whenever that might be.

ashtead

Visit site
I have a new Yam outboard and was just wondering if there was anything needed for a 4 stroke as previously I had a 2 stroke so every spring had to clean the carb but these 4 stokes are far heavier so I not so keen on taking it home for winter if I can avoid it. Being new it has probably only a few hours on it so far but I guess an oil change might the thing ?

st599

Visit site
You may also want to flush the cooling system then make sure it's drained. Water expanding below 4 degrees can cause a bit of damage.

Boats used on saltwater are flushed regularly so it can't harm.

VicS

Visit site
[
See the owners manual ( down load one if you have mislaid your copy) and carry out all the recommended inspection and maintenance tasks
This includes changing the gear oil which you will unlikely be able to do with the engine mounted on the boat,

Also follow the recommendations for off-season storage.