Fire at Mayflower

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Fire is the thing that scares me most aboard our boat (there are other things!) and for that reason every thought is to reduce fire risk. For that reason I’m going to an electric outboard - no petrol aboard, no petrol refuelling with the consequent explosive gasses. We still have gas though but no petrol is one less risk.

if I was a firefighter I’d be reluctant to get too close to a burning yacht with the knowledge that there are likely to be petrol and gas “bombs” aboard.

taff rail barbecues look like a disaster in the making to me though they’re evident on many boats. I shouldn’t fancy being in a raft with a boat deploying such a device.

Robih

Visit site
My barbie is a Cobb that sits on the lazarette lid in use. Any issues, one shove and it's in the 'oggin, which would grieve me 'cos it was expensive, but would grieve me a lot less than setting the boat alight.
I like your Risk Assessment and fire management plan.....

I need to find out about this Cobb, sounds like a good device if it can sit on top of the lazarette and not scorch it.....

zoidberg

Visit site
Once shipped aboard a 'Replica Smuggling Lugger' on passage to Oban and points north. The young owner/builder was a craftsman in wood, and had tried to keep everything very 'traditional'. That included a pair of 2-pint Optimus pressure-paraffin stoves set under a cast-iron hob. He hadn't tried the setup and was more than a little startled when it flared up, flames shooting up to the deckhead, and burning paraffin spilling down over the fuel tank and onto the floors.

Three frightened faces scampered up from below....

"D'you want that putting out?" I asked from the relative safety of the tiller. "Oo-er, yes please...!"

Took less than 30 seconds. 'Twas part of my 'prenticeship, living in a tent on Scottish hills in the 60s. Another thing they don't teach on RYA courses...... :LOL:

andsarkit

Visit site
A long while ago I worked in UAE and we had a couple of wooden dhows as support vessels. One of them carried the geoflex explosives and they used to cook on an open charcoal fire on deck. Even in those days with no health and safety I used to worry about it. ( Geoflex was actually quite safe and would burn in a fire and needed a detonator to cause an explosion)

Chae_73

Visit site

I need to find out about this Cobb, sounds like a good device if it can sit on top of the lazarette and not scorch it.....

These things look like a good addition to boat cooking- I might get one. Although I will need to fabricate some some of table / shelf to go across the cockpit, for it to sit on.

Cobb GB - NEW!! - Cobb Premier AIR

stranded

Visit site
These things look like a good addition to boat cooking- I might get one. Although I will need to fabricate some some of table / shelf to go across the cockpit, for it to sit on.

Cobb GB - NEW!! - Cobb Premier AIR
Great kit. We put ours straight on the varnished cockpit table as a sort of Mongolian bbq sometimes - never marks the table. And you can pick it up with bare hands at full temperature. Bit of a bugger to clean though.

Skylark

Visit site
Great kit. We put ours straight on the varnished cockpit table as a sort of Mongolian bbq sometimes - never marks the table. And you can pick it up with bare hands at full temperature. Bit of a bugger to clean though.
We bought one years ago for those very reasons and it does not disappoint. Sadly, I’ve not used it since moving my boat to Scotland as I never seem to be there on the one day per year that the weather is right for a BBQ ?

Elessar

Visit site

I put my Cobb on my inflatable paddle board placed as a shelf across my davits. Tells you how cool it is.
They are selling Cobb style barbecues in the chandlery in Lymington for £70. Look like a bargain. They had loads there yesterday. Not force 4 the other one (yachtmail?)

Robih

Visit site
I put my Cobb on my inflatable paddle board placed as a shelf across my davits. Tells you how cool it is.
They are selling Cobb style barbecues in the chandlery in Lymington for £70. Look like a bargain. They had loads there yesterday. Not force 4 the other one (yachtmail?)
Good tip, thanks. Shame that Lymington is 180m, three hours, away from here!