O-ring for MD2030C sea-water pump

WalshamUK

Visit site
I have purchased, and intend to fit, a new sea-water pump for my Volvo Penta 2030C engine. The pump requires an O-ring which is Volvo part number 3580380. It looks likely that the O-ring that has been supplied is the wrong size. Does anybody know what the dimensions of a 3580380 O-ring should be? Or failing that, if anybody has a 3580380 O-ring lying around, could they please measure its dimensions please and let me know what they are. Thanks in advance. Keith Jackson

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I came across the same problem. The VP o ring isn‘t an exact fit, it’s a bit loose and you have to take care to avoid pinching it when you refit the pump. I got annoyed paying VP prices so measured the old one and bought just smaller, same size and just bigger from here O Rings & O Ring Kits: O Ring Cords, Adhesives, Lubricants & Gauges
I bought, 3mm section, 70mm diameter; 3mm section, 68mm diameter and 3mm section; 65mm diameter nitrile o rings. IIRC the 68mm ones did the job nicely.

WalshamUK

Visit site
I came across the same problem. The VP o ring isn‘t an exact fit, it’s a bit loose and you have to take care to avoid pinching it when you refit the pump. I got annoyed paying VP prices so measured the old one and bought just smaller, same size and just bigger from here O Rings & O Ring Kits: O Ring Cords, Adhesives, Lubricants & Gauges
I bought, 3mm section, 70mm diameter; 3mm section, 68mm diameter and 3mm section; 65mm diameter nitrile o rings. IIRC the 68mm ones did the job nicely.
That is really useful information. Many thanks. The O-ring that came with my replacement seawater pump (original Volvo Penta pump from Keypart), and another 3580380 O-ring bought from the Volvo Penta dealer in La Rochelle, are both 3mm X-section, and 75mm diameter. And they both look too large diameter for the job. In fact they are larger than all of the 3 sizes that you quoted. Why would Volvo Penta supply oversize O-rings?

WalshamUK

Visit site
Is it possible to measure the groove?
I would love to measure the groove, but I don't want to start the job with what are very probably wrong parts. Does anybody have photos and/or dimensions of the inside of the housing that the seawater pump goes into? Especially photos/dimensions of the O-ring groove?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The problem is that there isn’t a groove. Although the seal is an o ring, it isn’t being used in the normal way an o ring is: ie, a groove cut in the item which the ring seats in. The pump has a plain surface which mates with a flat surface on the engine, hence the ease of nipping the o ring when reassembling the pump. Also why the discussion on the best size of the o ring. The 70mm ring is the “correct“ size but is large enough to slip easily during assembly, hence my use of the smaller one which retained its position better.
Incidentally, when I nipped the o ring, I was in a remote location and could not get a replacement. Instead I made a paper gasket from several thicknesses of cartridge paper, liberally smeared with gasket gloop. Worked well enough to get me back to civilisation and a VP dealer.

WalshamUK

Visit site
Sounds like the as supplied o ring can be used with a few dabs of hylomar to hold it in place during assembly? Bit of a design lash up though.
I find it strange that Volvo Penta, a reputable, long-established, marine engineering company would ever design a component part such that a 'bodge' had to be perpetrated to get it to work properly. These seawater pumps have now been in use for many years. There must be a better way of doing things. Keith Jackson