Are we on high alert?

Cobra

Visit site
I am still struggling with this!
You cannot meet with friends in your own home. If they are friends, the chances are that they will have similar standards to yourself and therefore will probably be lower risk, but to do so could get you a hefty fine!
You can go to a restaurant with your wife or a further 5 members of your "support bubble" but not with anyone outside that group or anymore than a total of 6 people.
You can go to the beach (in October...of course!) with people from outside your "support bubble" as long as there are no more than 6 of you.
You can go to Stanstead, passport and suitcase in hand, get on a RyanAir flight to Corfu with 230 people you have never met in your life, sitting in a pressurised aluminium tube for 3.5 hours and that apparently is perfectly OK.
If this scenario had appeared on a Yes Minister episode everyone would have thought, that is funny but it would never happen...would it?

MoodySabre

Visit site
You can go to Stanstead, passport and suitcase in hand, get on a RyanAir flight to Corfu with 230 people you have never met in your life, sitting in a pressurised aluminium tube for 3.5 hours and that apparently is perfectly OK.
There are some things you can do but a sensible person would not. Flying is near the top of the list like going on a cruise. We wouldn't need rules if people acted sensibly.

pvb

Visit site
There are some things you can do but a sensible person would not. Flying is near the top of the list like going on a cruise. We wouldn't need rules if people acted sensibly.

Flying is one of the safest modes of coronavirus-free travel. The air in a plane is circulated through HEPA filters, the airflow is top to bottom, the seats act as barriers to lateral transmission of bugs.

One of the papers the other day mentioned that, during the whole of 2020, only 44 people had contracted coronavirus whilst on a flight. That's 44 out of 1.2 billion people who flew in the period!

MoodySabre

Visit site
Flying is one of the safest modes of coronavirus-free travel. The air in a plane is circulated through HEPA filters, the airflow is top to bottom, the seats act as barriers to lateral transmission of bugs.

One of the papers the other day mentioned that, during the whole of 2020, only 44 people had contracted coronavirus whilst on a flight. That's 44 out of 1.2 billion people who flew in the period!
The purpose of flying is to go somewhere else. Flying to somewhere else is hardly sensible.

Stork_III

Visit site
Not indoors though - you could go to Herts but he couldn't invite you in...
Correct, just re-read the High area Regulations, basically rules for a Tier 2 area resident apply to them in all areas.

"Participation in gatherings indoors 1.—
(1) No person may participate in a gathering in the Tier 2 area which—
(a)consists of two or more people, and
(b)takes place indoors.

(2)No person living in the Tier 2 area may participate in a gathering outside that area which—
(a)consists of two or more people, and
(b)takes place indoors.

(3)Sub-paragraphs (1) and (2) do not apply if any of the exceptions set out in paragraph 4 apply.

Participation in gatherings outdoors 2.—
(1) No person may participate in a gathering in the Tier 2 area which—
(a)consists of more than six people, and
(b)takes place outdoors.

(2)No person living in the Tier 2 area may participate in a gathering outside that area which—
(a)consists of more than six people, and
(b)takes place outdoors. "

CLB

Visit site
It will affect us. We were planning to have dinner with friends at their home next week; now it seems it'll be illegal.

I am supposed to be meeting friends in their home this weekend. I live in ECC area, they are in Southend, which for some odd reason is not included in the Essex wide tier 2 business. Can I go or not? I genuinely don't know? They are not under restrictions regarding people visiting their house, but I am from an area where I can/t have people visit me in my house. despite being just down the road. I also understand that Southend has a higher Covid rate than my town. Make of that what you will.

pvb

Visit site
I am supposed to be meeting friends in their home this weekend. I live in ECC area, they are in Southend, which for some odd reason is not included in the Essex wide tier 2 business. Can I go or not? I genuinely don't know? They are not under restrictions regarding people visiting their house, but I am from an area where I can/t have people visit me in my house. despite being just down the road. I also understand that Southend has a higher Covid rate than my town. Make of that what you will.

According to post 28, you can't go.

The Tier 2 status applies to the Essex County Council area; Southend is a unitary local authority (as is Thurrock) and can choose its own rules.

Stork_III

Visit site

Essex Tier 2 comes into force on 17th Oct (00.01am). so if you live in Tier 2 area you can't meet indoors in any area, unless one of the specific exceptions applies.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Local COVID-19 Alert Level) (High) (England) Regulations 2020

Tomahawk

Visit site
No point in going to the pub or club if you cannot talk with someone from outside your own household.
Makes an sfter race get together at the bar impossible and thereby destroying the very reaison d'etre for being members of a club.

nigelm

Visit site
No point in going to the pub or club if you cannot talk with someone from outside your own household.
Makes an sfter race get together at the bar impossible and thereby destroying the very reaison d'etre for being members of a club.
We are still racing at North Fambridge & the bar has a gazebo outside easy to sit apart in crew groups .

so no problem for us , besides we go for the sailing not the beer ...

johnalison

Visit site
As I understand it, the purpose of the rules is to reduce the number of times and the number of people we meet with as well as the duration spent together indoors, as well as to avoid large gatherings. They are not intended to be fair to everyone or to avoid grey areas where individual conscience has to apply. They are just a mathematical trick designed to overcome the inevitability of a substantial minority who are not going to follow the rules, and the fact that this exceptional virus can be spread for a long time by people with no symptoms.

We have the choice of either following the rules in the hope that this will be for the public good, or adopt a lax view in the hope that not too many people will do likewise and we won't be found out.