Shaft problems (boats)

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
I was on a boat recently when we had a shaft break, ( second time it has happened to me , o h and have had a couple of props that did not want to stay on.)
Luckily she was a twin screw, but every-time we tried turning to port you could hear it make what I would call an unhappy sound. well it was midnight and it had been a long day. So chugged back to berth trying not to turn to port more than a quarter turn . Made it a interesting navigation exercise to get back to Hamble and up river. Crew on the boat where told no point for finesse please as we get close to the pontoon get a rope on , don't mind what just get them on. We made it back OK , Turned out she had been new engines and one was slightly out of alignment.
So who has had similar happen to them.?

Rappey

Visit site
If the shaft is constantly getting bent then it will eventually snap due to fatigue?
If it were badly out of alignment I would have thought it would destroy the inboard and outboard bearings?

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
She has thrown a shaft out, it had come out , the month before, this was a new shaft. it lasted 3 days. smallest shafts I have seen on a boat,. she was an old girl but great apart from the shaft problem. It what they were think it could be from the last update. will try and find out more if I can.
I had another break but that was a fault in the shaft, they found when they lifted her that it was only solid for a 1/3 of its diameter.

penberth3

Visit site
She has thrown a shaft out, it had come out , the month before, this was a new shaft. it lasted 3 days. smallest shafts I have seen on a boat,. she was an old girl but great apart from the shaft problem. It what they were think it could be from the last update. will try and find out more if I can.
I had another break but that was a fault in the shaft, they found when they lifted her that it was only solid for a 1/3 of its diameter.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean there. Thrown out/come out of what/where?

prv

Visit site
I’ve had the output flange of the gearbox come off, resulting in the shaft sliding backwards out of the boat. Fortunately not all the way so as to leave a hole, but it meant no power and, with the prop wedged against the rudder, not a lot of steering either.

Pete

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
She has thrown a shaft out, it had come out , the month before, this was a new shaft. it lasted 3 days. smallest shafts I have seen on a boat,. she was an old girl but great apart from the shaft problem.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean there. Thrown out/come out of what/where?
apparently it slipped out of the gearbox and jammed against the rudder.

Other threads that may be of interest