Horrible boat name !

mikegunn

Visit site
There used to be a very loud and fast speedboat that frequented the Solent, with “NOWUCKINFURRIES” writ large along its hull.
Mike

Laminar Flow

Visit site
A friend of mine bought a speed boat off a proctologist called Wreckt'em. No, really. He changed that.

On a Cruise-a-Home (basically a travel trailer on a motor boat hull) "Kuman - awanna - lay-a", came with some supportive Hawaiian decor.

Large sailing yacht, San Diego : "Overdraft"

PilotWolf

Visit site
I sailed on a general cargo ship called Beaver Bank. It used to cause great hilarity when we visited the States.

A very nice motor boat at my yacht club is called AFTICA. Which stands for Another F******* Thing I Can’t Afford which I thought was rather clever.

My ex and I visited a UK zoo her being American

No one else understood the reason we found the sign so funny.

“The American beavers get fed at 3pm’

W.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Warning. Thread drift, as in fact this is about a yacht name I think is excellent.......

When in Saint Lucia, sailing with Bajansailor back in about 1987, a beautiful maxi came into Rodney Bay for some repairs to her rudder. We asked the charming professional skipper and wife team sailing the boat about the origin of her name.

They explained that their boss had divorced her husband, having caught him in loco flagrante. With her divorce settlement, she had called the designer of her husband's yacht (Ron Holland IIRC), and asked him to design her a boat that was a bit bigger, a bit faster, in fact, a bit better in every respect than that of her ex hubby. The name of the yacht.....Best Revenge

Slowboat35

Visit site
It seems incredible to me that so many people have such disrespect for their boats that they give them such risible names.
What gets into someone's head to spend all that money on something they presumably enjoy and then give it a name that just generates ridicule, especially if they ever have to use the VHF?

I saw a clever (if rather worrying) one recently in Greek waters, a hideous 30m pile of glitzy Russian flagged bad-taste bling named "Drughi Dom".
Now I know that means 'Second Home' in Russian, but the play on words is so blatant it surely cannot be a coincidence, and the couldn't-care-less in yer face nature of such a public advert is pretty shonky, imho.
But then, perhaps all it intended to say was 'Second Home' - though somehow I doubt it.

And why do so many boats have a name ending in 'May'? Daisy May, Sally May etc. I'm always tempted at add a 'Not' to those.

Last edited:

Biggles Wader

Visit site
It all depends on your sense of humour. Some people take these things very seriously while others see potential for a laugh in everything. I tend towards the latter but I would not personally have a boat name that attracted the wrong sort of attention. I like a quiet life when out on the water.