Air drift height

misty morning

Visit site
Hi I am looking at buying a boat to use on the no tidal river thames and want to be able to stop at onsney bridge oxford.does anybody know the max air drift to clear the bridges to that point.
I have been looking at sealine 360,princess 435,410 and the 360boats along with some brooms.It seems very hard to fine the airdrift for these boats but i have had some help from princess boats but still can not find the princess 435 air drift.Any help with this i would be very helpfull.

Leighb

Visit site
The River Thames Guide app, gives the bridge clearance for all the Thames bridges, well worth downloading. Can’t help with the air draft of the various boats you mention though.

oldgit

Visit site
Princess Model History | Princess Motor Yacht Sales

435 well down the list look around 1987.
AD about 4.1 m or 13.4 ft. .....................................all the other boats there as well.
Will not go under Windsor or Henley or that super low footbridge with all those bolts sticking out. 12.6" ????
Hack off the arch and get another metre ?
Only downside with the 435, some have small engines( 306 HP ) not lot considering all that weight being pushed around. Bit slow offshore perhaps ?
Early Brooms tend to have removable top hamper the newer ones do not ?

Last edited:

misty morning

Visit site
Princess Model History | Princess Motor Yacht Sales

435 well down the list look around 1987.
AD about 4.1 m or 13.4 ft. .....................................all the other boats there as well.
Will not go Windsor or Henley or that super low footbridge with all those bolts sticking out. 12.6" ????
Hack off the arch and get another metre ?
Only downside with the 435, some have small engines( 306 HP ) not lot considering all that weight being pushed around. Bit slow offshore perhaps ?
Early Brooms tend to have removable top hamper the newer ones do not ?
thank you for your help with this

SaltIre

Visit site
Hi I am looking at buying a boat to use on the no tidal river thames and want to be able to stop at onsney bridge oxford.does anybody know the max air drift to clear the bridges to that point.
I have been looking at sealine 360,princess 435,410 and the 360boats along with some brooms.It seems very hard to fine the airdrift for these boats but i have had some help from princess boats but still can not find the princess 435 air drift.Any help with this i would be very helpfull.
Sealine 360: Sealine 360 Ambassador For Sale | Norfolk Yacht Agency | NYH1854 Air draft 3.76m according to that Broker.
Sealine 360 For Sale | Norfolk Yacht Agency | NYB1266 3.0m according to the same broker - so not always the same!

Princess 435: Princess 435 Link is to a thread on here from 2010.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Lots of Sealines on the River. Might want to join the Sealine Forum:
Sealine Forum

oldgit

Visit site
Considering the length of the Thames , what exactly is in that last few kilometres that is so vital, which a bus cannot reach..
Shame to eliminate some very comfortable and capable boats and have to choose a very unsuitable boat in almost all other respects due to a bridge.
Presume this is not an attempt to keep a boat nearbye to employment to live aboard.
If so, there may be one or two other little problems ahead. !
No mention of research regards cost or availability of moorings especially for that size of boat up there.

Portland Billy

Visit site
Between Teddington and Oxford the minimum bridge clearance is 12ft 5ins - Culham lock cut and 12ft 6ins at Cookham.
Also the air draught of boats advertised is not always the minimum attainable with masts etc folded.
Plenty of boats like the ones you mention are on the upper Thames.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
That is actually one reason to want a boat which can pass Folly bridge.

The moorings just above Osney are massively more pleasant and also more convenient than the ones below Folly bridge.

The latter seem to be constantly occupied and there are some asbo issues around there where as the former often have space and seem more pleasant. Not that I have stopped overnight above Osney myself.

I've only ever had boats which fit under Osney bridge and up to Lechlade anyway so I don't really know about the selection of taller boats but I do understand the desire to be able to moor just below Osney bridge if needed because it is a good mooring and may be much better than the straggly towpath moorings below Salters/Folly bridge.

Chris_d

Visit site
That is actually one reason to want a boat which can pass Folly bridge.

The moorings just above Osney are massively more pleasant and also more convenient than the ones below Folly bridge.

The latter seem to be constantly occupied and there are some asbo issues around there where as the former often have space and seem more pleasant. Not that I have stopped overnight above Osney myself.

I've only ever had boats which fit under Osney bridge and up to Lechlade anyway so I don't really know about the selection of taller boats but I do understand the desire to be able to moor just below Osney bridge if needed because it is a good mooring and may be much better than the straggly towpath moorings below Salters/Folly bridge.
Couldn't agree more, its one thing I miss not being able to access the river above Oxford but you have to compromise if you want a sea going cruiser as well. It wouldn't be worth buying a boat that can just get under Folly bridge but not Osney as well, a lot more choice if you use 12'5" as your max and accept Folly bridge is the limit.

misty morning

Visit site
Between Teddington and Oxford the minimum bridge clearance is 12ft 5ins - Culham lock cut and 12ft 6ins at Cookham.
Also the air draught of boats advertised is not always the minimum attainable with masts etc folded.
Plenty of boats like the ones you mention are on the upper Thames.
thank you that makes things very clear now and i can work on that.very helpful.

misty morning

Visit site
Considering the length of the Thames , what exactly is in that last few kilometres that is so vital, which a bus cannot reach..
Shame to eliminate some very comfortable and capable boats and have to choose a very unsuitable boat in almost all other respects due to a bridge.
Presume this is not an attempt to keep a boat nearbye to employment to live aboard.
If so, there may be one or two other little problems ahead. !
No mention of research regards cost or availability of moorings especially for that size of boat up there.