MDL Otium?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I got a load of marketing blurb about this today, lots of words but little clear detail, interested in others thoughts on it. My impression is that it will in some way replace 'Freedom Berthing' from next April. In particular a couple of their 'Scenarios' for annual berthholders include paying visitors fees at other marinas. Definitely seems a retrograde step for those that have used Freedom in the past.

MikeB.

Visit site
I received that as well, there are more details behind some of the words but its not made very clear - the terms and conditions link to the FAQ section - its another MDL own goal methinks...

ST840

Visit site
Yeah it doesn’t give too much details. £1 Spent with MDL = 1 loyalty point to be spent on any mdl service. Be that fuel or yard services etc.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Yeah it doesn’t give too much details. £1 Spent with MDL = 1 loyalty point to be spent on any mdl service. Be that fuel or yard services etc.

I read it the other way round; 1 loyalty point = £1 to spend at MDL, but no direct info that I saw on what you have to spend to get one point. Though a bit of reverse engineering indicated points were .5% of annual berthing £ and 22% of some other spends £.

ST840

Visit site
I read it the other way round; 1 loyalty point = £1 to spend at MDL, but no direct info that I saw on what you have to spend to get one point. Though a bit of reverse engineering indicated points were .5% of annual berthing £ and 22% of some other spends £.
Maybe your right, it’s really not that clear. I read it the other way, and from the pictures they had on display the fuel and yard services were really the only thing you got to spend your points/£’s on.
I suppose if you use freedom berthing a lot then it’s a bad deal, but if you don’t then it’s a good deal ?

Oceanracing

Visit site
I got a load of marketing blurb about this today, lots of words but little clear detail, interested in others thoughts on it. My impression is that it will in some way replace 'Freedom Berthing' from next April. In particular a couple of their 'Scenarios' for annual berthholders include paying visitors fees at other marinas. Definitely seems a retrograde step for those that have used Freedom in the past.

Seams pretty clear to me if honest. Website makes it clear you can keep your current FB benefits or switch to the new one if you want to. Guess it will depend how you use your boat. Looks good for me. I dont freedom berth but use a lot of fuel and yard services. Buy services and earn points to spend on additional services. Like the Tesco club card I have in the wallet. Nice that each point is a £. On Tesco the points are worth 0.001 or something daft ?? Be interest to see what visitors get.

ST840

Visit site
I don’t freedom berth either anymore so the though of money off fuel and yard services is quite attractive tbh .
even if I do want to freedom berth it would only be a couple of nights at a time and that’s not a massive cost to pay upfront so, think it’s a no brainier for me.

Oceanracing

Visit site
I don’t freedom berth either anymore so the though of money off fuel and yard services is quite attractive tbh .
even if I do want to freedom berth it would only be a couple of nights at a time and that’s not a massive cost to pay upfront so, think it’s a no brainier for me.

From what I understand you can use your points for visitor nights to so actually pretty cool. sounds like you are similar to me. I just use the rib for enjoying the local Solent. occasionally go to Poole so have if a choice to spend points on a night or to is good news.

j24jam

Visit site
I understand that current berth holders get 30% off yard fees... if you move onto the Otium package you will start paying retail prices for services but earn back credit to spend with MDL only. (at a lower rate than 30%)

Seems like a simple plan for MDL to get more cash...

KnotLoaded

Visit site
From what I understand from a conversation today is you give up all your freedom berthing benefits ie free nights at other marinas, fuel at cost and 30% of services, to then pay full tariff rates for overnight stays, fuel at full pump price and full price service rates to receive points/£ at a much reduced rate to the existing scheme.
I would have been a least £380 worse off this year, seems like a bit of a con to me to get everyone one off generous freedom berthing contracts

KnotLoaded

Visit site
Seams pretty clear to me if honest. Website makes it clear you can keep your current FB benefits or switch to the new one if you want to. Guess it will depend how you use your boat. Looks good for me. I dont freedom berth but use a lot of fuel and yard services. Buy services and earn points to spend on additional services. Like the Tesco club card I have in the wallet. Nice that each point is a £. On Tesco the points are worth 0.001 or something daft ?? Be interest to see what visitors get.
If you use a lot of fuel you’ll be worse off as paying full pump price with a reduced discount structure. You only get more points if you spend £‘s not if you use your points

[2068]

Visit site
I need to knock up a comparative spreadsheet to estimate whether it is worth switching or not.
I think the key factor will be the number of freedom berth nights used - if this is zero, then you are probably better off on Otium.
If you are spending weeks on end in other MDL Marinas, then you clearly need to stick with Freedom.
But somewhere in-between those extremes is a tipping point that will be different for everyone.

The other catch is that Otium only includes 8 weeks ashore.
I spend a lot longer than 8 weeks ashore!

I think it's okay that MDL are giving people the choice, but the way MDL have presented it doesn't make it easy for most existing berth holders to make a good decision.

Last edited:

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I see it is open to visitors as well, although looking at the examples provided then if your only interaction with MDL is berthing fees then it looks to be a worse deal than 'cruising club'

If I have understood the berth holder examples properly then the tipping point appears to be less than a week spent at other MDL marinas

ST840

Visit site
Reading this from the MDL site says to me that these bonuses are on top of the freedom berthing package , not instead of....

“If, for example, you don’t use our lifting services, you can put your points towards discounted fuel. Or, if you don’t use Freedom Berthing overnight stays, put it towards your annual renewal. It’s a new way for us to give more choice to you. Otium is available to all of our customers; visitors, monthly berth holders, and annual berth holders. However, to get the very best out of your points your long term annual commitment to us is key, hence loyalty. Join the scheme so you can earn and redeem your points wherever you are and on all of MDL’s services”

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
All seems like a way into a great big berthing fee hike , why don’t they just make the Annual fees cheaper and charge boaters if and when they choose to visit another mdl marina , lift out where they like and purchase fuel where they like .
Over the years I have had annual berths at MDL and Premier , I don’t think I used one night at another house marina or purchased fuel as it was always cheaper in Cowes and Weymouth, even Yarmouth.
Spent most of our weekends in Yarmouth , Bembridge and Lymington all of which are non group marinas .
I can see the Jobs in for another hike , as they say I will watch this space .

Oceanracing

Visit site
If you use a lot of fuel you’ll be worse off as paying full pump price with a reduced discount structure. You only get more points if you spend £‘s not if you use your points
I've gone through my use and will be switching at renewal time. It works well for me. Whatever your view it is good to see the business is pushing through delevopments at a time many are struggling. I always take my boat to other yards for big jobs and perform basic maintence myself. If they do get their on site businesses invovled it throws other possibilites into the mix.