Strange looking catamaran seen in Hamford Water yesterday.

Leighb

Visit site
We passed this odd looking vessel as we entered Hamford Water yesterday. Not at all attractive in my view. I assume a home build, especially as the forward cross beam looked like a piece of unpainted 4 by 2! Anyone know anything about her?

Attachments

• 2AF09A11-D0EB-43A5-8226-94CCF461F18A.jpeg
    2AF09A11-D0EB-43A5-8226-94CCF461F18A.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 223
  • 9F3D57EC-B5EC-4500-964E-B24B378241F5.jpeg
    9F3D57EC-B5EC-4500-964E-B24B378241F5.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 222

PaulRainbow

Visit site
That table saw!

Mind your fingers!!

And a nice tidy work space.

Spoke to the "builder" when we were there in 2018 and asked what engine he was planning to fit, he pointed to the engine in pic 3, said he was going t mount it on a long pole, seriously. Also spoke of fitting a pair of electric outboards and charging the batteries by solar. big stack of panels at the bow in pic 1.

C08

Visit site
An interesting sail plan and a very, very small mast? No boom so a loose footed main sail? It does not look fully rigged yet.
I assumed it was ply glassed over but the completed hull looks to be just painted which seems a shame not to glass it and give it a fighting chance at longevity rather than just painting it.

alandalus11

Visit site
The owner has been building this for a number of years now. We spoke with him last year. His plan was to sail across the Atlantic to the Caribbean this year, 2020, so looks like he's behind schedule. What's more interesting is his little tender. A miniature version of the bigger cat with an electric outboard running on a bank of 50 or so mobile phone batteries, all taped up and wired together from what I managed to glean. Quite a nice and adventurous chap.

xyachtdave

Visit site
The owner has been building this for a number of years now. We spoke with him last year. His plan was to sail across the Atlantic to the Caribbean this year, 2020, so looks like he's behind schedule. What's more interesting is his little tender. A miniature version of the bigger cat with an electric outboard running on a bank of 50 or so mobile phone batteries, all taped up and wired together from what I managed to glean. Quite a nice and adventurous chap.

For the record I do admire people that do this crazy stuff, the tender running off mobile phone batteries, the home made table saw, engine on a pole etc.

Best of luck to them!

I'll try and add a photo of the two canoes fibreglassed together to form a tender at MYC, constructed by one of our interesting characters.

Here you go -

Attachments

• DB634D2A-7ED8-489D-AF38-17D41865EBBB.jpeg
    DB634D2A-7ED8-489D-AF38-17D41865EBBB.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 84

Cantata

Visit site
Looks slightly better made than one I was called to beached at Herne Bay a few years ago when I was a local CG. Damage to one of the hulls suggested to me that it was made from cardboard skinned with GRP mat................... That chap too was bound transatlantic. He patched the thing up over the next week or so, and slunk off early one morning when nobody was looking. Late that day the lifeboat boys rescued him over near Shoebury somewhere.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I had a chat to him late last year, I think, and he seems to have a very individualistic approach to things. He didn't seem to be someone who would welcome criticism of his plans ! Now that he's anchored in Hamford water, I do wonder how he's managing to get supplies etc. aboard - he's a good long way from any landing place with access to shops, and he only seems to have a small dinghy.

ianc1200

Visit site
And the small inflatable sunk (with outboard) a few weeks ago, another resident went out and got him & dinghy back to the marina. I don't know Ozzie, but he seems a resourceful fellow and does a lot of work around the yard.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
I had a chat to him late last year, I think, and he seems to have a very individualistic approach to things. He didn't seem to be someone who would welcome criticism of his plans ! Now that he's anchored in Hamford water, I do wonder how he's managing to get supplies etc. aboard - he's a good long way from any landing place with access to shops, and he only seems to have a small dinghy.
I thought I saw a more normal ali dinghy moored to it a few weekends ago.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I wonder what the time limit is for anchoring .

There is a boat that has been anchored close to Stone Point for some time. I think it was previously anchored
in the Orwell.