Campingaz

sailorman

Visit site
The danger is not just from the risk of leaks but from overfilling a cylinder. There must be headspace in the cylinder to allow for expansion to avoid the risk of its bursting if the cylinder gets warm .
Post 3 item 12

hence weighing the cylinder as its filled ( digi suitcase scales ) all relevant weights stamped into the 907[/QUOTE]

Boathook

Visit site
The danger is not just from the risk of leaks but from overfilling a cylinder. There must be headspace in the cylinder to allow for expansion to avoid the risk of its bursting if the cylinder gets warm .
I use electronic scales to make sure that I don't over fill having first weighed the bottle empty. The filling is a slow process.

Old Crusty

Visit site
As men grow older, they do become resistant to safety rules and believe they are immortal. Having witnessed three boats explode due to gas and petrol leakage, not to mention the pub landlord who connected a 28lb cylinder of CO2 direct to a keg of beer (that destroyed his cellar and allowed the E services to scrape his remains into several body bags) I couldn't be bothered to put myself at that level of risk to save a few pounds. Quite bonkers. If you can afford a boat and need it, you can afford to buy cylinder gas from a retailer.

This is yet another example of would be Darwin Award seekers looking for glory and you may find, if you look, that it is unlawful. What might the MCA make of it? I'll see you at your inquest. Toot toot!

Time Out

Visit site
As men grow older, they do become resistant to safety rules and believe they are immortal. Having witnessed three boats explode due to gas and petrol leakage, not to mention the pub landlord who connected a 28lb cylinder of CO2 direct to a keg of beer (that destroyed his cellar and allowed the E services to scrape his remains into several body bags) I couldn't be bothered to put myself at that level of risk to save a few pounds. Quite bonkers. If you can afford a boat and need it, you can afford to buy cylinder gas from a retailer.

This is yet another example of would be Darwin Award seekers looking for glory and you may find, if you look, that it is unlawful. What might the MCA make of it? I'll see you at your inquest. Toot toot!

I’m with you.

There’s a reason why you pay for a service!!

Chris_d

Visit site

Couldn't agree more, one of those camping gas cylinders lasts us about 2 years so £30 for a new one doesn't seem that bad. Must not be making enough cups of coffee .

sailorman

Visit site

some have grown up with PBO

Boathook

Visit site
Couldn't agree more, one of those camping gas cylinders lasts us about 2 years so £30 for a new one doesn't seem that bad. Must not be making enough cups of coffee .
I can get through a 4.5 kg calor bottle in a week on holiday. Last summer as it was fairly hot, a bottle lasted 2.5 weeks for all the cooking, hot water plus I have a gas fridge constantly on. I normally avoid marinas but when in one I do hook up to the mains electrics.

Parabordi

Visit site
I can get through a 4.5 kg calor bottle in a week on holiday. Last summer as it was fairly hot, a bottle lasted 2.5 weeks for all the cooking, hot water plus I have a gas fridge constantly on. I normally avoid marinas but when in one I do hook up to the mains electrics.
Same here, one a week with a gas fridge.

Chris_d

Visit site

Blimey! never trusted a gas fridge on a boat although just googled them and see there are loads, 12V fridge and hot water from engine does for us, agree never plug in on the river not many sockets on the riverbank :)

Boathook

Visit site
Blimey! never trusted a gas fridge on a boat although just googled them and see there are loads, 12V fridge and hot water from engine does for us, agree never plug in on the river not many sockets on the riverbank :)
Its on a sea going boat (cat) and the fridge is good. It has a flame failure as standard and the flame is only like a pilot light. I don't have the power generating capacity for a compressor fridge to be run of the battery's. The solar panels only just cope with the electronics !