Anchoring in Kirby Creek

oilybilge

Visit site
An irate gentleman shouted at us last week for anchoring in the south part of Kirby Creek, between Honey Island and Horsey Island, claiming there were oyster beds there. (This was after he'd shouted at us for landing on Horsey Island, although we had permission to do so.)

There's a lot of conflicting advice, but the 2019 edition of the East Coast Pilot says 'The oyster beds and no anchoring signs in Kirby Creek have been abandoned and it is possible to anchor right up to where Kirby Creek divides around Honey Island.'

If there are indeed no oyster beds in the creek -- and I certainly didn't see any withies -- is there any reason you can't anchor anywhere along it, provided you have a shallow enough draft? I can't help wondering if this is a bit of nimbyism by the irate gentleman, who has a permanent mooring there.

Jokani

Visit site
Last weekend there was a sign at the Northern/Hamford Water end of Kirby Creek that discouraged anchoring, looked in good condition so maybe only recently placed there. I did try to get to where you was anchored via the Twizzle, but couldn't find enough water and bottled it.

Poecheng

Visit site
There is a new sign at the entrance, in the same place as the old one (on the port bank as you enter) and says 'Oyster layings - no anchorage' or something similar.

It may have been last year that we saw no sign and my research revealed no oyster fisherman to be found and so we anchored within the creek without problems. We did it again a few weeks ago (not having noticed the new sign) and was also told to move by old chap in motorboat; we moved to the other (Hamford Water) side of the sign and no difficulty thereafter when he went past.

There is no visible indicator of where the layings end further into the creek.

I notified ECP last year and that may be reflected in the current edition, which may now be wrong having been overtaken by events. I have notified them of the latest position and ECP is making enquiries locally as to what is going on.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
There is a new sign at the entrance, in the same place as the old one (on the port bank as you enter) and says 'Oyster layings - no anchorage' or something similar.

It may have been last year that we saw no sign and my research revealed no oyster fisherman to be found and so we anchored within the creek without problems. We did it again a few weeks ago (not having noticed the new sign) and was also told to move by old chap in motorboat; we moved to the other (Hamford Water) side of the sign and no difficulty thereafter when he went past.

There is no visible indicator of where the layings end further into the creek.

I notified ECP last year and that may be reflected in the current edition, which may now be wrong having been overtaken by events. I have notified them of the latest position and ECP is making enquiries locally as to what is going on.

We were anchored, just below where the creek divides, to ride out that three day gale at the end of June. No sign visible on way in. And saw no indications of oyster layings - other than the odd gnarled and disused post on either shore. At various times, up to four other boats anchored both up and downstream of us - again without fouling or encountering any signs of oyster layings......

ianc1200

Visit site
Thoughts from the Titchmarsh Mudlark group it is the liveaboard in the widebeam narrowboat, he's been challenged for proof of a licence, and he gives in/goes away. Believed unlikely oysters from the creek could be edible again.

ianc1200

Visit site
By googling "kirby creek oysters" I came across a report from 2004 into pollution/oysters which gave the history of the oyster beds. The "several order" dated from 1963 and is valid until May 2023. Issued by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries to two named individuals I am not sure whether the licence can be transfered, and is still valid. All I speak to convinced any oysters from there (& the Twizzle, in the same licence) would be poisonous, and the beds were not in use long before the signs were removed about 2 years ago.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
I had a word with a local fisherman about the oyster beds . He confirmed, as Ian C said, that the several order is still in effect, that they do believe there are live oysters in the bed, and there's some hope for the renaissance of the beds - despite some pollution issues, perhaps from the explosives factory.

The bed owners are going to be renewing the 'no anchoring' noticed shortly. Some of the information suggesting anchoring is permitted is misleading or plain wrong.

jon and michie

Visit site
As for the irate gentleman as you shouting at you -I would of confronted him providing there wasn't any children about and gave him what for

ianc1200

Visit site
I had a word with a local fisherman about the oyster beds . He confirmed, as Ian C said, that the several order is still in effect, that they do believe there are live oysters in the bed, and there's some hope for the renaissance of the beds - despite some pollution issues, perhaps from the explosives factory.

The bed owners are going to be renewing the 'no anchoring' noticed shortly. Some of the information suggesting anchoring is permitted is misleading or plain wrong.
The no anchoring notices were removed about August/September 2018. The mudlark group at Titchmarsh have been anchoring there since. They know the retired oysterbed person - Owen - and are convinced no oysters will be ever harvested there again, from what Owen told them about the pollution & cost to get testing done. They are sure this is a try on by somebody (I have been given several names) to stop people anchoring there so they can have the peace and quiet to themselves.
Nevertheless, the licence is still in place until May 2023, and somebody could be thinking of restarting it.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
Interesting points, and hard to say what’s wishful thinking, what’s vested interest, and what’s the truth about the matter.

I’ve never even eaten an oyster myself.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Interesting points, and hard to say what’s wishful thinking, what’s vested interest, and what’s the truth about the matter.

I’ve never even eaten an oyster myself.
I have - deep fried in a fishing village in Hong Kong! They aren't bad done like that But my wife ordered one at Fionnphort while waiting for the Iona ferry, and was a bit taken aback when it arrived raw with a slice of lemon! She ate it, but I think it's on the "never again" list. Takes a lot to put a Hong Konger off sea food!