Is anyone concerned about the inevitable French fishing boat anger.after Brexit.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Perhaps for the same reason I have to explain that giving someone all they want isn't negotiation?

Not all negotiations are about cutting the amount their asking for, some times it's about giving them everything they want, getting a bit more yourself and that suiting them too! (fun times when it goes that way).

That or they saw me coming...

Visit site
As far as I am aware the trawlers are not engaged in terrorist activity. But if they were the people responsible can be arrested and if the trawlers were being used to further terrorism they could be seized. But the comparison has gone from silly to ridiculous

But if it helps I will clarify my comments, if person or company legitimately buys property and used that property within the law then I am against the state seizing such property in most circumstances. There are very limited exceptions, such as compulsory purchase orders where it is necessary for infrastructure improvements etc. But there is a right of appeal in that through an independent adjudicator and fair compensation has to be paid

PS this discussion would be better off in the lounge
As I mentioned before in the 70's the brutal beam-trawlers destroyed the traditional fishing in Morecambe Bay. The fact that they were within the law did not stop the effects seaming like terrorism to the locals who lost their livelihoods.
Surely people and common-sense should matter most so that when circumstances change the law should be updated to take into account the new circumstances otherwise there would be little progress in many areas.

Seven Spades

Visit site
let's get something straight quotas are a construct. The government can simply abolish them. Then make new rules. The new rules should simply restrict the fishig in our waters to British flagged vessels and al fish must be landed in the UK before any export. This way it is properly checked and counted. It will also stop the trade in undersized fish. Best of all we can change the system so that fishermen are not forced to dump perfectly good fish.

Frogmogman

Visit site
My next door neighbour was first lieutenant on one of the Leanders that went up there. He thought the Icelanders were right at the time. I've always thought so, it was their waters. Today we're talking about our waters.

It's not exactly a recommendation for getting the RN to sort out this fisheries problem though, is it.

For a start, the Navy no longer has the large numbers of minesweepers etc to be able to successfully enforce the suppression of Johnny Foreigner.

Visit site
It's not exactly a recommendation for getting the RN to sort out this fisheries problem though, is it.

For a start, the Navy no longer has the large numbers of minesweepers etc to be able to successfully enforce the suppression of Johnny Foreigner.
All it needs are a number of armed trawlers and the law on its side.

NotBirdseye

Visit site

... *bursts into uncontrollable laughter*

Visit site
let's get something straight quotas are a construct. The government can simply abolish them. Then make new rules. The new rules should simply restrict the fishig in our waters to British flagged vessels and al fish must be landed in the UK before any export. This way it is properly checked and counted. It will also stop the trade in undersized fish. Best of all we can change the system so that fishermen are not forced to dump perfectly good fish.
Quite so. There is so much bollox posted on threads like this. A sovereign government can make whatever laws it likes. Some people seem not to have heard of the concept of a compulsory purchase order or for that matter nationalisation.

kof

Visit site
I've no skin in the game but knowing the French fishermen and thinking back to the 70's and 80's and their blockades of ports - If there is no deal and they are cut out of UK fishing areas, you can kiss your exports via French ports goodbye. Better find another market for this fish.

SaltyC

Visit site
I've no skin in the game but knowing the French fishermen and thinking back to the 70's and 80's and their blockades of ports - If there is no deal and they are cut out of UK fishing areas, you can kiss your exports via French ports goodbye. Better find another market for this fish.
So Iceland we're correct to put a 200 mile limit on their waters, we have Foreign (EU) Trawlers taking 'ALL' and destroying marine life but you feel we shouldn't impose the same restrictions on OUR waters? The French / Spanish won't buy our fish or Shellfish so will do without?? You want Moulies Frites sorry Monsieur how about Frogs legs?

Ted Heath sold our Fishing rights out to join the EU, the Mediterranean is now barren thanks to EU Quotas, we can now save our waters and give OUR Fishermen a livelihood.

Yes policing will be a problem, when we voted to leave the Government should have commissioned a dozen combined Fishery / Border control vessels as a declaration of intent. Unfortunately the paper shufflers feel they can Police fishing Electronically by AIS. The Knowledge and understanding of the Civil Service is Laughable.

Frogmogman

Visit site
So Iceland we're correct to put a 200 mile limit on their waters, we have Foreign (EU) Trawlers taking 'ALL' and destroying marine life but you feel we shouldn't impose the same restrictions on OUR waters?

The bit about destruction of the fishing environment is a bit rich when you consider as an example the last stand-off between French and UK fisherman in the Seine Bay in 2018.

This wasn't about a few small boats from the West Country; a group of five huge trawlers arrived from Scotland , each capable of hoovering up enough scallops in one day to keep local fishermen in work for a month. These large ships do huge damage to the sea bed. They came to scrape up Scallops in the Seine Bay during the closed season from 15th May to 1st October which had been sensibly established 15 years before to conserve stocks. It's hardly surprising that the French fishermen reacted in the way they did, even if they were wrong to do so. In any case, it was pretty clear cut who was occupying the moral high ground over the protection of the fisheries in this instance.

FWIW, I suspect that thanks to PM Dominic Cummings achieving his dream of Brexiting without a deal with the EU, this sort of thing will be very much the shape of things to come.

Yes policing will be a problem, when we voted to leave the Government should have commissioned a dozen combined Fishery / Border control vessels...

You're not wrong about that, which was the point I was making in my earlier post. There's no point trying to impose any kind of fishing limits if you don't have the patrol vessels to enforce it. If and when they do get around to commissioning such things, dare I say they should fall under the auspices of the Coastguard or Border Force. The French Navy and the Royal Navy are cooperating more closely than ever over the serious stuff. It would potentially be distracting for the bigger defence picture were the RN to be involved in squabbling with the French Navy over fish.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Could the RN use the five Offshore Patrol Vessels based in UK waters for the proposal here, noting that new builds have arrived:

In March 2018, Baldwin's successor as Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Defence, Guto Bebb, revealed that £12.7M had been allocated from the EU Exit Preparedness Fund to maintain the three Batch 1 ships, should they be needed to control and enforce UK waters and fisheries following the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union.[22]

Sandyman

Visit site
Oh well here we go again, Cod for breakfast. Cod for Dinner. Cod for tea ;) oh the memories :)
Should have stuck 4.5's into Thor as one Leander skipper was going to do until they relieved him of his command.
And just to keep your spirits up & boost moral.........,,,,,,,,,,
:) :)

Last edited:

Mudisox

Visit site
Surely the way forward would be to scrap all quotas but establish conservation zones where no fishing is allowed at all and therefor more easily policed, with a better chance to allow fish stocks to recover, say as much as 20% of the seabed. Offshore wind farms are already doing that. Also enforce a close season.

Sandyman

Visit site
Surely the way forward would be to scrap all quotas but establish conservation zones where no fishing is allowed at all and therefor more easily policed, with a better chance to allow fish stocks to recover, say as much as 20% of the seabed. Offshore wind farms are already doing that. Also enforce a close season.
Trouble with that is those pesky little fish have a habit of swimming all over the place. If the buggers would only stay still........endex :) everyone's a winner

Sharky34

Visit site
As oft said, are the French going to stop eating fish?
Where else are they going to buy it from?