NASA AIS ("radar")

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I have a boat around 100 metres from me transmitting which I can see on Marine Traffic but there is no indication on my instrument.

As far as I can tell, the antenna is operational (by swapping below with the VHF cable).

Are there any tests I can do to find the problem?

The GPS input is missing as I have mislaid the cable but the instrument declares it is using an historical GPS position.

TernVI

Visit site
Early versions of the NASA thing were only one AIS RF channel at a time, so could lose class B vessels.
The historic GPS position could be wrong? Can it see anything else? Can you check the position? Range set to max?

The marine traffic info could be out of date, from before the other boat parked and switched off.

RAI

Visit site
Does the NASA AIS Radar display an output if it has no GPS input? I have got one and I don't think it does. It needs its own position to work out where to display a received target.

GHA

Visit site
Does the NASA AIS Radar display an output if it has no GPS input? I have got one and I don't think it does. It needs its own position to work out where to display a received target.
It will display all received data, it's in list view. And the manual ;)

m8kf0tp.png

RAI

Visit site
I am away from boat, receiver and handbook. The unit needs tuning to its antenna to get the S/N ratio right. It can listen alternately to channels A and B. I now use mine only to check if my Digital Yacht AIS class B is transmitting.

vas

Visit site
which ver of the NASA black box do you have? (assuming the "radar" you're saying is 2 things, the black box and the display)
I used to have black box v2 and got a free upgrade to v3 (a DIP16 iirc chip) from NASA. That helped me see more things (again iirc) and was faster (I think!)

V.

RAI

Visit site
Ah, shame Nasa didn't put that in the manual.
I had fun with it, but it persuaded me to go the whole hog and get a class B unit. In my case the class B displays targets on a SH plotter overlaid with radar targets and charts.

pvb

Visit site
I had fun with it, but it persuaded me to go the whole hog and get a class B unit. In my case the class B displays targets on a SH plotter overlaid with radar targets and charts.

Using AIS data on a plotter is a much better idea than the rather crude Nasa display.

Pye_End

Visit site
Using AIS data on a plotter is a much better idea than the rather crude Nasa display.

I quite like both. The NASA gives a very quick view of what is around without having to concentrate to make sure you havn't missed anything. It can be set on say a 8nm alarm when offshore and just left to its own devices. On the plotter there is often a lot of other data, and may well be set on a scale for pilotage. On the other hand the plotter displays contacts in a much better contextual way. I wouldn't rate either above the other.