Heading up the Medina for the night?

FairweatherDave

Visit site
As the Cowes marinas are likely to be full I fancy venturing South somewhere around the Folly probably. Google Earth reveals many mid river pontoons. We prefer to be free swinging and this year have managed to pick up vacant moorings overnight no problem, but this will be Friday night. Plan B would be inside Cowes breakwater or anchoring in Osborne bay. Plan C Beaulieu river which we know and love. But Plan A is River Medina and no need to go ashore or hit the pub. Any advice of what we might expect? ? (Apart from a warm night). Thanks for any pointers.
Ps Shallow draft bilge keep so happy drying out.

Last edited:

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Folly mid-river pontoons have not been busy recently. Loads if space when I passed last week. Whitegates was also half empty. I got into Shepards without booking too. You can also anchor just outside the fairway near Island harbour depending on your depth.
Thanks Neil. Just the answer I was hoping for. If I project confidence to my family life is so much better!

C08

Visit site
We normally anchor just south of the last mid river pontoon near the folly, seems good holding in mud. Much quieter than on the pontoons and just away from passing boats

bdh198

Visit site
Thanks Neil. Just the answer I was hoping for. If I project confidence to my family life is so much better!

I moored up outside the Folly a couple of weekends ago. I had tried to book a marina berth the Wednesday before but everywhere was already fully booked. I tried to book a space on the Folly pontoons and actually called twice, but both times I was assured they’d have no trouble finding us a space when we arrived (we’re 37 foot with a 1.85 meter draft). We arrived around 20:30 on the Friday and were given the choice of several places on the pontoons. You’ll have absolutely no trouble finding a place if you just turn up.

If you want to take the water taxi into Cowes, you’ll need to book and you’ll need a face mask. Last water taxi the weekend before last was 10pm.

Oh, and the Folly is still closed, but you can get a water taxi ashore there if you need to.

Tzu

Visit site
I moored up outside the Folly a couple of weekends ago. I had tried to book a marina berth the Wednesday before but everywhere was already fully booked. I tried to book a space on the Folly pontoons and actually called twice, but both times I was assured they’d have no trouble finding us a space when we arrived (we’re 37 foot with a 1.85 meter draft). We arrived around 20:30 on the Friday and were given the choice of several places on the pontoons. You’ll have absolutely no trouble finding a place if you just turn up.

If you want to take the water taxi into Cowes, you’ll need to book and you’ll need a face mask. Last water taxi the weekend before last was 10pm.

Oh, and the Folly is still closed, but you can get a water taxi ashore there if you need to.
I'm sure I saw either an email or social media post that said Folly is open now

ashtead

Visit site
Do I gather the chain ferry is still in state of lockdown as heading to east Cowes today ? Councillor Dave seems keen on island TT but doesn't seem to be fixing ferry issues still.

ashtead

Visit site
Thank you Scala - last time I used foot passenger ferry was an hours wait as it's not much larger than the rib put your stern platform and any tide seems to challenge crossing . Maybe they need to buy a secondhand ferry ?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Thank you Scala - last time I used foot passenger ferry was an hours wait as it's not much larger than the rib put your stern platform and any tide seems to challenge crossing . Maybe they need to buy a secondhand ferry ?
Boat in use last week was 'Jenny Lee', it took about 25 at a guess. No queues so maybe that's a consequence of much fewer people about.

girlofwight

Visit site
Chain ferry is out till middle of next week. Bit of a farce.

We tried to tender from East Cowes to Cowes a few weeks ago, but Town Quay an ill disciplined bun fight so turned back.

East Cowes to Cowes not easy at present alas.

Sharky34

Visit site
As the Cowes marinas are likely to be full I fancy venturing South somewhere around the Folly probably. Google Earth reveals many mid river pontoons. We prefer to be free swinging and this year have managed to pick up vacant moorings overnight no problem, but this will be Friday night. Plan B would be inside Cowes breakwater or anchoring in Osborne bay. Plan C Beaulieu river which we know and love. But Plan A is River Medina and no need to go ashore or hit the pub. Any advice of what we might expect? ? (Apart from a warm night). Thanks for any pointers.
Ps Shallow draft bilge keep so happy drying out.
Try contacting UKSA & asking them for a berth, can walk into Cowes & they have a bar.

ashtead

Visit site
Well east cowes was most welcoming and took our lines today plus a free night as a Haslar owner. Waitrose well stocked and quiet as usual in cowes. Lovely sail down the Solent this morning , only excitement was a small gaff rigger which seemed to have a suicide wish and dashed in front of a large pink cargo ship doing 17 knots. Clearly some people just don’t look behind them or at speed of approaching floating blocks of steel before crossing the road but 5 blasts soon work him up.

SharkBait25

Visit site
Hey, just In the process of buying a boat and will likely be going for bilge keel. Do you ever wish you had a different keel?

enjoy your trip

colhel

Visit site
Well east cowes was most welcoming and took our lines today plus a free night as a Haslar owner. Waitrose well stocked and quiet as usual in cowes. Lovely sail down the Solent this morning , only excitement was a small gaff rigger which seemed to have a suicide wish and dashed in front of a large pink cargo ship doing 17 knots. Clearly some people just don’t look behind them or at speed of approaching floating blocks of steel before crossing the road but 5 blasts soon work him up.

We're on M13 on Infinity at the bottom of the access ramp behind the Marina office . Say hi if you're passing.