To stand on, or not to stand on

dulls

N/A
Visit site
Can I ask you to clarify the point you are trying to make and where exactly you disagree with the sound and perfectly clear advice you have been given?
I am not disagreeing with anyone. All i did was quote an old poem and the col reg police were deployed. It aint my poem but it explained very well the wrong attitude to applying the col regs. I think they thought i was Daniel O Day himself back from the dead. Ybw is the most aggressive and nasty sailing forum i have ever been on.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’m fascinated by how Dulls interpreted what I thought were reasonably patient replies to his post as aggressive and nasty. His post had no smilies or explanation and the natural assumption that everyone has made is that he had posted something he agrees with.

If he thinks YBW is aggressive and nasty, I suggest he stays away from Sailing Anarchy and Mumsnet.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
I’m fascinated by how Dulls interpreted what I thought were reasonably patient replies to his post as aggressive and nasty. His post had no smilies or explanation and the natural assumption that everyone has made is that he had posted something he agrees with.

If he thinks YBW is aggressive and nasty, I suggest he stays away from Sailing Anarchy and Mumsnet.
Well Mr Morris my light weight poem is answered by the Gettysburg address.

dulls

N/A
Visit site

Bye bye then. :rolleyes:
Be nice because you can

dom

Visit site
I am not disagreeing with anyone. All i did was quote an old poem and the col reg police were deployed. It aint my poem but it explained very well the wrong attitude to applying the col regs. I think they thought i was Daniel O Day himself back from the dead. Ybw is the most aggressive and nasty sailing forum i have ever been on.

To put you in the picture, it‘s a fun little jingle which is trotted out on just about every colreg thread I have ever seen. It is nevertheless tilting at windmills in that it mocks the notion of “Right of way” which does not exist in the IRPCS. Moreover, the attitude it espouses, as JM and others have explained very clearly (and helpfully IMHO), is that random avoidance actions can inadvertently stand a yacht into great danger. Especially when undertaken with a ship 2-4 miles out, i.e., after many have already taken IRPCS compliant avoiding action.

It is an incontrovertible fact that the IRPCS are unambiguous in many respects, in which light you shouldn’t misinterpret equally unambiguous answers as aggressive.

This is actually a great forum for learning new things for those who are open to it. Try to be more constructive and you might be surprised :)

dulls

N/A
Visit site
To put you in the picture, it‘s a fun little jingle which is trotted out on just about every colreg thread I have ever seen. It is nevertheless tilting at windmills in that it mocks the notion of “Right of way” which does not exist in the IRPCS. Moreover, the attitude it espouses, as JM and others have explained very clearly (and helpfully IMHO), is that random avoidance actions can inadvertently stand a yacht into great danger. Especially when undertaken with a ship 2-4 miles out, i.e., after many have already taken IRPCS compliant avoiding action.

It is an incontrovertible fact that the IRPCS are unambiguous in many respects, in which light you shouldn’t misinterpret equally unambiguous answers as aggressive.

This is actually a great forum for learning new things for those who are open to it. Try to be more constructive and you might be surprised :)
Thanks for correcting me, i am forever indebted to you.....I trotted it out in fun but the col reg police were deployed. Must look up the word patronising. Thanks for putting me in the picture again....

john_morris_uk

Well Mr Morris my light weight poem is answered by the Gettysburg address.
I'm very familiar with the Gettysburg address, so perhaps you might explain how it 'answers' the Daniel O Day doggerel you quoted?

I'm beginning to think that you are just trolling and not being serious at all.

The easy answer is that without sensible answers I could ask the moderators to close this thread... It seems to have run its course (if you'll pardon the pun?) and we're now trying to work out what your comments mean which isn't very helpful in a discussion about IRPCS.

john_morris_uk

Thanks for correcting me, i am forever indebted to you.....I trotted it out in fun but the col reg police were deployed. Must look up the word patronising. Thanks for putting me in the picture again....
If you quote something 'in fun' may I humbly suggest that it helps if you add a comment and a smiley? Otherwise pixels on the screen run the risk of getting taken at face value.

There are no Col Regs police on YBW, but I suggest that there might be quite a few who know something about IRPCS and who apply them professionally in their working lives. I only work part time at sea atm, but others on here who have entered the fray are also commercial skippers and OOW's and they didn't see the joke either...

dulls

N/A
Visit site
I'm very familiar with the Gettysburg address, so perhaps you might explain how it 'answers' the Daniel O Day doggerel you quoted?

I'm beginning to think that you are just trolling and not being serious at all.

The easy answer is that without sensible answers I could ask the moderators to close this thread... It seems to have run its course (if you'll pardon the pun?) and we're now trying to work out what your comments mean which isn't very helpful in a discussion about IRPCS.
I was not being serious as that is why i posted it in a light hearted manner but you took it and ran and ran, that poem mocks the right of way issue. You mean comments you dont like? Why would you try to work out what i meant? Why dont you just cut and paste the col regs and be done. No need for any forum on col regs then. Why do we always need sensible answers? It is a forum that is all.

john_morris_uk

I was not being serious as that is why i posted it in a light hearted manner but you took it and ran and ran, that poem mocks the right of way issue. You mean comments you dont like? Why would you try to work out what i meant? Why dont you just cut and paste the col regs and be done. No need for any forum on col regs then. Why do we always need sensible answers? It is a forum that is all.
And how is anyone expected to know you posted in a 'light hearted manner'? Without smilies or some other emoticon how are we supposed to know you are 'only joking'?

If you quote something 'in fun' may I humbly suggest that it helps if you add a comment and a smiley? Otherwise pixels on the screen run the risk of getting taken at face value.

I took it and ran and ran because there are LOTS of yachtsmen who believe that 'might is right' and 'I just keep out of the way of everything' and they're a bloody menace on the high seas. You might have noticed that it wasn't just me who didn't see the funny side of your 'light hearted post'. This is because only you knew what you were posting was an attempt at being light hearted! I suggest that the rest of us didn't have a clue where you were coming from.

dulls

N/A
Visit site

There are no Col Regs police on YBW, but I suggest that there might be quite a few who know something about IRPCS and who apply them professionally in their working lives. I only work part time at sea atm, but others on here who have entered the fray are also commercial skippers and OOW's and they didn't see the joke either...
It was a commercial skipper that told me so take it up with him. Master 1 when i was at the Maritime school in Bundeberg doing a master 4. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)How could you take that poem at face value?

laika

Visit site
it explained very well the wrong attitude to applying the col regs.
that poem mocks the right of way issue.

Well here's the confusion. There is no "right of way issue" because there is no "right of way" in the colregs. The implication of this poem which gets trotted out no matter how many times it's debunked (and note RichardS's post #210 referencing his post #66 commenting on the previous reference to Mr. O'Day in this thread) is that following the colregs will ultimately lead you to a sorry end. The colregs give no "rights" only obligations for everyone to play their part in avoiding misadventure. One of those is described in Rule 17 which if Mr. O'Day had adhered to he would not have come to an untimely end.

If this is *not* what you're trying to say you should clarify what you do mean because the discussions you're finding problematic are based on this.

The concern of folks here is that plenty of novices will be reading this thread, not knowing who to believe and if they go with "folk wisdom" over the rules of the road someone might get hurt. It's a bit like promoting eschewing conventional medicine in favour of homeopathy on a cancer support forum and being criticised by oncologists.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
And how is anyone expected to know you posted in a 'light hearted manner'? Without smilies or some other emoticon how are we supposed to know you are 'only joking'?

I took it and ran and ran because there are LOTS of yachtsmen who believe that 'might is right' and 'I just keep out of the way of everything' and they're a bloody menace on the high seas. You might have noticed that it wasn't just me who didn't see the funny side of your 'light hearted post'. This is because only you knew what you were posting was an attempt at being light hearted! I suggest that the rest of us didn't have a clue where you were coming from.
Unless they have AIS many yachts will not know if they have been seen or not. Should they make that assumption or not? We know that wood and glass boats dont make the best targets with radar. Yachts in heavy seas are difficult to see in a large seas with white caps. Ships are faster now than they were 60 years ago so the yachtsmen has a small amount of time to react and has only 5 knots of speed to play with on most occasions. One cannot always tell if a ship has made a turn or not. The view from a cot-pit with spray coming over is not as clear as the view from the bridge especially with large seas. From a yachting view staying away from fast steel things is a sensible concept and is based on a yachts ability to react to a fast changing situation. It could be just pragmatic. Might is right means different things to different people.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

dulls

N/A
Visit site
Well here's the confusion. There is no "right of way issue" because there is no "right of way" in the colregs. The implication of this poem which gets trotted out no matter how many times it's debunked (and note RichardS's post #210 referencing his post #66 commenting on the previous reference to Mr. O'Day in this thread) is that following the colregs will ultimately lead you to a sorry end. The colregs give no "rights" only obligations for everyone to play their part in avoiding misadventure. One of those is described in Rule 17 which if Mr. O'Day had adhered to he would not have come to an untimely end.

If this is *not* what you're trying to say you should clarify what you do mean because the discussions you're finding problematic are based on this.

The concern of folks here is that plenty of novices will be reading this thread, not knowing who to believe and if they go with "folk wisdom" over the rules of the road someone might get hurt. It's a bit like promoting eschewing conventional medicine in favour of homeopathy on a cancer support forum and being criticised by oncologists.
You quote me and then draw the opposite conclusion to the quote. I used the term "mock" and "wrong attitude". ???? anyway apparently it is all down to my lack of smiley faces.