Why we don't chill out in Greece any more

ryanroberts

Visit site
It's already the case that you need a certificate of competence for Greece. My (possibly incorrect? For discussion....) guess would be that people making these epic fails will tend to be folks who don't sail much except for a biennial charter holiday. Doing a week's course with a test at the end then not using it for a year or two isn't going to help much.

Can confirm

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
went on my first and last sailing holidays, holiday in 2008. Skopolous etc. The idiot crew made us all go to the island which was hit worst by a storm and we woke to our boats bashing each others on the floating pontoon which was pitching heavily too. the crew were young idiots too obsessed with each other. hated the islands anyway they all looked the same and barren. hated the greek food and the island people werent friendly but what upset me most is how they treated cats.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That was one of my biggest bugbears when sailing in that area:
If as a cruising/livaboard yacht you went onto a quay, you could pretty much guarantee that as you made your approach there would be at least two or three other livaboards waiting there to take your lines and help you tie-up, but if a charter boat approached, he was ignored until it went to rat-shit when everyone appeared to berate the poor bugger; they're usually the ones most in need of your help.
Not sure I would agree , most liveaboard will go and Help even if the boat was mooring some way down the quay we would get off to take lines .
Or in many cases help to untangle anchors .

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
It can go wrong for the best. The guy on the following vid is a bit shaken but very honest. Clearly a very skilled skipper but sometimes you get bitten. The biggest boat I've manouvered was an 88foot tug. I'm not in this guys league at all.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Now for them who think this is a one off , far from it ,
It's nothing to see people dragging not only them but taken others with them,
Or seeing what we seen here .
The problem is two fold
A charter company who don't give a dam and will let anyone charter , as long as they got a nice lump of the charter money at hand to cover bangs and dent anything bigger the insurance covers it .

B people who may be use to small sailing boat , let loose on 38 /45 foot plus and think they can handy them ,
All well and good with little wind , extra bit more and their are Fu@@.
The other skipper on the other boats didn't help probably because there no more experience,
All they had to do was moor him along side they boat then if need be row out an anchor ,
but no too busy shouting and pushing him away .

In all the years we sailed Greece , this is a regular problem ,

The funny thing is you mostly see it happening in the Ionian then any where else in Greece .

Spot on Vic, the video didn't even register as anything unusual. I have seen it happen all over, Ermioni, Poros, Paros and especially the Ionian.

Not sure I would agree , most liveaboard will go and Help even if the boat was mooring some way down the quay we would get off to take lines .
Or in many cases help to untangle anchors .

I always make a point of giving a hand or at least being available in case if they look as if help is not wanted. We prefer to remain on board until gaps either side are filled, preferably not with a charter yacht. Not always possible of course.:D

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@Mistroma " always make a point of giving a hand or at least being available in case if they look as if help is not wanted. We prefer to remain on board until gaps either side are filled, preferably not with a charter yacht. Not always possible of course. "

Mike the time we stayed on a harbour we could never afford to leave the boat until there where boats both side and even then there was no guarantee someone isn't going to cross your chain and pulled the anchor out leaving your stern banging on the wall .

st599

Visit site
Spot on Vic, the video didn't even register as anything unusual. I have seen it happen all over, Ermioni, Poros, Paros and especially the Ionian.

I always make a point of giving a hand or at least being available in case if they look as if help is not wanted. We prefer to remain on board until gaps either side are filled, preferably not with a charter yacht. Not always possible of course.:D

I once worked for an 18-30s charter company as a skipper. There was one all-action hero taking a break from the Army after a life of secrecy in the 'stans, never got anything wrong, until the day a group of Swedish girls ran over to help him moor. Utter carnage.

Mind you, I learnt to sail in gib, and when being shown how to moot alongside, the cruising instructor failed to notice someone had built a wall right up to the quay. Clouted it a fourpenny one. Valuable lesson learnt - mooring rope + bollard + full astern fixes that sort of thing.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I once worked for an 18-30s charter company as a skipper. There was one all-action hero taking a break from the Army after a life of secrecy in the 'stans, never got anything wrong, until the day a group of Swedish girls ran over to help him moor. Utter carnage.

Mind you, I learnt to sail in gib, and when being shown how to moot alongside, the cruising instructor failed to notice someone had built a wall right up to the quay. Clouted it a fourpenny one. Valuable lesson learnt - mooring rope + bollard + full astern fixes that sort of thing.
Did you ever go into the very posey Puerto Banus? If you want to improve your heart rate, take a humble Sunseeker 64 at sunset onto 'millionaires row' with a super critical audience of hundreds. ?