Advice wanted on buying a lighter, smaller inflatable tender

cpedw

Visit site
We have been using a 3D round tail asit weighs only 9kg. It carries 2 adults easily; with 2 folding bikes in benign conditions. We don't use an out board. It has been in regular use for 4 and a bit seasons with no issues though I swapped the aluminium paddles for wooden.
After previous inflatables, it felt very flimsy but the light weight is a real boon for the sexagenarian. It gets no careful treatment and seems unafflicted by dragging up pebbly beaches. I haven't tried it against coral.

Kelpie

Visit site
We've had various Redcrests, an AX2, and an Avon 7.
The Redcrest is hard to beat. Light, compact, it just works. Loads around so easy to find second hand.
I don't miss the Bombard. It was fun for one with a motor on, but pretty useless for any load carrying and the rowlocks were too flimsy.
The Avon 7 is slightly lighter than the Redcrest, and a fair bit easier to carry on your shoulder as it's less beamy. But I don't find the ergonomics are as good.

mainsail1

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotlan
Visit site
I also have a 3D roundtail. It is the 2 meter version purchased from Marine Superstore at Port Solent. It is light, easy to inflate with two chambers and an inflatable floor (slatted floors are so yesterday) and was not expensive as someone said above. It comes with a rucksack that I can easily carry on my old shoulders. Yes, I would recommend it.

Zagato

Visit site
Interesting Seago make a hypalon dingy (1200 decitex what ever that is, probably not the same as the good old hypalon) but they are not cheap £1099 for a 2.7 weighing 37kg so it maybe the good stuff!

D

Deleted member 36384

I bought an Avon 7 second hand for cockpit locker storage size because my larger inflatable had to be stored on the foredeck which I did not like. The Avon 7 is a quality dinghy but compared to newer inflatables the tube diameter is smaller, hence bum closer to the water.. While it states it is good for 3 x persons, two up is already ready tight in the dink. However, it fits snugly into the cockpit locker, which is quite shallow, leaving space for everything else as well. If you find one on line it could meet your needs.

D

Deleted member 36384

This is the same model as I mentioned above. Deflated with the pump used to suck out the air it folds away to about 400 x 400 x 300 mm. It can also be much flatter if the sides are not folded into the middle and the dinghy is just rolled up stern to bow.

AVON INFLATABLE DINGHY | eBay

ryanroberts

Visit site
Bought a probably too big 3D tender v floor. It's amazingly light for 2.8 (~20Kg) and rolls up in half a pilot berth. Sure the smaller models are even more viable weight wise. Too big for mostly one but I have paranoia about safely of small inflatable dinghies after getting wet a few times in benign circumstances

TJ1982

Visit site
Having researched several small inflatable tenders, we settled last year on a 2.0m Honwave. I've only seen them in slatted floor form, which ours is. Key reasons we plumped for the Honwave were (a) the thickness of the PVC, and (b) the large diameter of the tubes.

Our Yamaha 2.5HP outboard easily pushes it onto the plane with one of us and the dog – circa. 90kg load (over & above engine & boat weight). We don’t use the seat… in calm conditions, we sit on the tubes, in poor conditions simply crouch to avoid spray. The mother-in-law, when she joins us, is permitted to perch on a ball fender.

The robust construction & large tubes mean that, albeit tiny, the 2.0 feels relatively stable in most conditions (experienced so far).

TJ.

pvb

Visit site
This is the same model as I mentioned above. Deflated with the pump used to suck out the air it folds away to about 400 x 400 x 300 mm. It can also be much flatter if the sides are not folded into the middle and the dinghy is just rolled up stern to bow.

Impressive, that's about half the size Avon claimed!

Kelpie

Visit site
I bought an Avon 7 second hand for cockpit locker storage size because my larger inflatable had to be stored on the foredeck which I did not like. The Avon 7 is a quality dinghy but compared to newer inflatables the tube diameter is smaller, hence bum closer to the water.. While it states it is good for 3 x persons, two up is already ready tight in the dink. However, it fits snugly into the cockpit locker, which is quite shallow, leaving space for everything else as well. If you find one on line it could meet your needs.

I could be persuaded to sell mine if the OP is interested...

Zagato

Visit site
Pumped up a Waveco 2.3 today that unexpectedly came with my new boat. It was made 9 years so I didn't think it would hold air and be knackered but it cleaned up like new with just mould on it, not a scratch and it stayed up for two hours until I had to pack it away... what a bonus. It weighs 27KG so I was easily able to pull it up onto deck when it was propped up against the hull as the boat is on the hard. They are only £300.

Quiddle

Visit site
Whatever you get, an electric pump is Neptunes gift to sailors!
Recently bought one of these and, based on a couple of months usage, I would recommend. Though rated at 15A I have used it in warm conditions via a 10A socket without issue. The only fault thusfar is the coupling between the inflator hose and dinghy valve adapter which loosens as you seat the adapter in the valve....currently bodged with tape.

LiftyK

Visit site
Avon Redcrest has been mentioned. My Redstart is the junior version, smaller still. It is 25 years old and still in top condition. However...it is very heavy, even with an inflatable floor. I don’t think it fits the bill for a small and light tender. Small, indestructible and heavy is a more realistic description.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Having researched several small inflatable tenders, we settled last year on a 2.0m Honwave. I've only seen them in slatted floor form, which ours is. Key reasons we plumped for the Honwave were (a) the thickness of the PVC, and (b) the large diameter of the tubes.
The Honwave 2.7 (model T27-IE or T27-IE2) has an airdeck floor. Love mine, but it's probably too big for OP.

Poignard

Visit site
As the OP I'd like to thank everyone for the advice given so far.

But I must reiterate I want my new dinghy to be more compact when folded and lighter than my current Achilles 2.3m with its solid plywood floor, without any significant reduction in safety.

I had also wanted it to be made of Hypalon for longevity but, as my wife has kindly pointed out, longevity is something we don't have !

So if the new one lasts, say, only 5 years instead of the more than 25 years the Achilles has lasted, that would not matter.