Paddle Boarding - Had a go yet ?

Yngmar

Visit site
We asked the neighbours if we could try theirs while holed up in a Cala two years ago. Wasn't hard to figure out, but I wouldn't call it a very practical way of getting around on the water. It seems more of a fashion accessory.

You do have a lot of windage when standing up and we've seen some hilarious rescues when people SUPing around an anchorage were being blown off and couldn't figure out how to get back upwind to their boats. Top tip: Reduce your windage. Either kneel or just jump in and swim, dragging the board behind.

I'm with Baggywrinkle and would rather have a kayak for getting around. Faster, more comfortable and more practical. But I do appreciate a nice bikini SUPing past while I sit in the cockpit?

Visit site
Never mind paddle boarding, how did so many people learn how to kite surf? Over 30 off Hayling beach this morning, sometimes 60 and they all make it look so easy - walking down the beach holding the lines with one hand while this thing hovers under perfect control vertically above, then get settled on the board, angle it to kick it in and take off like a power boat. Very impressive.

prv

Visit site
A friend of mine who’s a keen kayaker describes my paddleboard as “an aquatic penny-farthing”. Seems fair, they’re not a particularly practical means of transport, but in the right conditions it’s a pleasant activity. The way I see it, inefficient propulsion just means better exercise.

Sitting in a kayak means a wet arse ?. All being well, on a paddleboard nothing gets wet above my ankles. Of course, you have to be prepared for the possibility of a wet everything, but with practice that’s now a minority of outings for me.

And yes, with such a low-powered craft you have to be very conscious of wind and tide. Just like with sailing, that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned - in touch with nature rather than powering over it. Collapsing the paddle and kneeling to get upwind with less resistance is an important technique, but one I try to hold in reserve.

One thing to be aware of if considering buying a board is that a lot of the cheaper ones people might choose “just to try it out” are narrower and less buoyant, and especially for the larger person will make balance more difficult than it should be. After falling in seventeen times they then conclude “this is no fun” and give up. Get (or borrow or hire) a decent board in the first place and the experience will be more satisfying.

Pete

BurnitBlue

Visit site
A fad. Wait for the Hollywood Jaws type movie where a paddle boarder is surrounded by sharks nibbling at the board until the paddler is balanced on a piece the size of an ice cream carton.

matt1

Visit site
Agree, they can be hard work into the wind, tide or any wavelets which have a tendency to stop them in between strokes. That said I use mine a fair bit as a form of exercise and maintaining my balance into middle / older age. Haven’t fallen in yet! (Famous last words)

I mainly use mine in the winter to check on my mid-stream moored boat as I don’t pay for dinghy storage through the winter. Very convenient and easier than a full inflatable dinghy to pump up. You’d be surprised at what I’ve managed to take out to the boat on that paddle board! Just wear my normal gear plus sailing boots and haven’t got wet yet.Being somewhat of a masochist I havnt tried kneeling down to reduce windage. Typically it’s into the wind to get to the boat and downwind coming home. Great fun stood onit being blown home and steering with the paddle. I note you can now bio pop up sails (umbrella like)dor them!

ashtead

Visit site
Seems like a useful way to get the dog ashore -seen a number being used as canine water taxi. Otherwise just need hot weather and the paddle board is ideal . We carry on board but haven’t used so far this year but last year in st cast were good way of reaching the beach and for pottering around Bembridge harbour or suchlike are great idea.

wully1

Visit site
Never mind paddle boarding, how did so many people learn how to kite surf? Over 30 off Hayling beach this morning, sometimes 60 and they all make it look so easy - walking down the beach holding the lines with one hand while this thing hovers under perfect control vertically above, then get settled on the board, angle it to kick it in and take off like a power boat. Very impressive.
It’s for people who can’t windsurf...
Pros - very easy to learn and very trendy.
Cons - you can get very seriously hurt very quickly and you’ll be hanging out with a bunch if Dick heads ??

Lightwave395

Visit site
As an ex-windsurfer I always thought they were a solution looking for a problem but it seems they are actually good for exercise - building core strength. Probably more interesting paddling around Newtown than going to a gym. I've recently bought 2 inflatable SUP's via Alibaba for a fraction of the cost of going to my local 'watersports' retailer

prv

Visit site
Probably more interesting paddling around Newtown than going to a gym.

That's the crucial bit for me. I've never stuck at running or any other simple exercise because I find it boring, and have little to think about except how tired and uncomfortable I am. Whereas being out on the river there's always lots to look at, and a burst of hard paddling "to get upwind across this open bit into the lee of that quayside" (for instance) makes more sense than setting arbitrary goals pounding round the park when I could just walk instead.

Pete

Elessar

Visit site
They seem to be turning up in unexpected places.

It looks easy .
It’s easy if you get one big enough and you don’t stand on it like you would a surfboard or windsurfer.
Feet a shoulder width apart and face forward.
Drop to your knees if there’s a huge wake or something you don’t trust.
Good fun, good exercise. I use it for short tender duties and for fun.
I’ve not fallen off and use it fully clothed when using it for transport.
g/f hit an underwater obstruction with the fin last week causing a spectacular forward dive, but before that she’d never fallen off either.
They fold into a rucksack quickly and easily making them very versatile. Paddle to a pub and come back in an Uber for example!
It’s very difficult to go upwind in a decent breeze though.

xyachtdave

Visit site
I’ve got two on the boat, great fun in the evening when the wind has dropped off and the water is flat.

It’s not difficult, started off kneeling down for about 2 minutes, then stood up and was off.

I only fall in when I’m practiced advanced turns, standing on the back of it and spinning it around in a circle with half the board sticking out the water at about 45 degrees.

Blowing them up isn’t as easy as they have you believe, it’s hard work. I went a few miles down river from my mooring in the Medway and stopped for a snack, suddenly I had a wave of paranoia it would go down and I’d be swimming home.

I’d get a solid one if you’re in the market!