Getting ICC?

ross84

Visit site
Hi all,

Hope you're all keeping well.

I passed my DS prac + theory last year and I'm getting around to applying for the ICC. In sections 5 and 6 it says they are to be completed by the 'affiliated club or recognised training centre'. I was under the impression that with my DS, I could simply apply for one? Was I wrong? Is it an actual exam I need to get done by a centre? I was hoping to get one to shore up my chances of getting full insurance.

Many thanks,
Ross

nortada

Visit site
Hi all,

Hope you're all keeping well.

I passed my DS prac + theory last year and I'm getting around to applying for the ICC. In sections 5 and 6 it says they are to be completed by the 'affiliated club or recognised training centre'. I was under the impression that with my DS, I could simply apply for one? Was I wrong? Is it an actual exam I need to get done by a centre? I was hoping to get one to shore up my chances of getting full insurance.

Many thanks,
Ross

unless things have changed, your DS qualifies you for an. ICC without any further assessment. If you do not have a DS, or higher, you can be assessed by an affiliated chub or recognised training centre for an ICC.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Section 5, read the bottom line:

o5hovfI.png

Section 4, tick the three boxes and write your card number in where indicated - mine begins with "CSS" at the top of the card.

9gEEnPH.png

I filled in the form this week, and in my opinion it is a little confusing, but I found the RYA very helpful when I phoned them up. I recommend you do so and check whether the instructor who issued your DS Practical filed the details with them. I think it saves you sending a photocopy of your card if they have your details on file.

Refueler

Visit site
If you're not a member it's worth joining as the membership is the same price as the ICC.

The only item to consider is that automatic issue of ICC as a Member of RYA does not also give you CEVNI without completing the CEVNI online exam.

If you want to cruise many EU waters and enter into rivers / transit canals etc. - its worth adding the CEVNI.

Second that RYA will not issue for a Sailboat without evidence of sailboat capability ... I had this issue with them years ago ...

I applied for ICC as an RYA member and they gave me Powerboat / PWC only .... I called 'James' (he's retired now) ... I knew hiom from various other matters I was involved in with RYA ... Fuel etc.) ..... and he explained that Sail was not included without evidence. Quick scan and email of EDH ... Liferboatmans ... years as cadet when sail equipped Lifeboats were still used in Marine College and on ships .. (dipping Lugsail ... go on go look it up !!) ... and revised ICC was sent to me.

Refueler

Visit site
ICC pocket size certificate

????? Its still half an A4 in size .... yes it folds in the plastic sleeve ... but all mine over the years within a year of issue look like the dogs chewed on them !!
I now scan and create a laminated version as the carry one ... the original stays in drawer.

I also use the scan to reduce the size to about 30% and laminate that for sticking in my wallet ... that satisfies the odd stop out here by Guards on the river etc. If they are clever - then I produce the full size ...

Many countries now issue similar in Credit Card size and style.

Other threads that may be of interest