Tacking under sail out of Chichester

Rappey

Visit site
A yacht with a failed engine requested permission to sail through portsmouth harbour mouth las sunday.. As busy as it was QHM granted permission and asked to be notified when the yacht was clear of the channel.. I sailed in behind him but engine was running.. Long keel and very heavy boat.. I wouldnt dare tack in a narrow channel but if i had something very manouverable i might consider it..

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
A yacht with a failed engine requested permission to sail through portsmouth harbour mouth las sunday.. As busy as it was QHM granted permission and asked to be notified when the yacht was clear of the channel.. I sailed in behind him but engine was running.. Long keel and very heavy boat.. I wouldnt dare tack in a narrow channel but if i had something very manouverable i might consider it..
Ive sailed into Pompey harbour twice on yachts with problems. I called Qhm, no problem. Ferries asked to wait. As soon asI got into Haslar Creek I called them to say I was clear. Haslar Marina was up and running so both times I just sailed alongside and got sorted. Good guys at QHM.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I woud consider that it is fool hardy and very inconsiderate to tack out of Chichester Harbour at busy times. Whilst you may draw 2m and know where to tack other vessels may draw more so whilst they may not be displaying a cylinder they are in a narrow channel. You say you were slightly punching the tide, that means the vessels traveling in the opposite direction were going with the tide limiting their manoeuvrability, this is particularly true for motor boats.

The answer is quite simply just because you can does not mean you should. Why put everyone else to a lot of trouble and stress unnecessarily?

dom

Visit site
So, the consensus seems to be that it's probably lawful to sail out of the harbour entrance - it absolutely is - but that it's nevertheless disrespectful to fellow sailors and moboers to needlessly stress them like that.

I'm not so sure. Enter many a Brittany port and one of the most charming sights is the old barges and their like working their way upwind out of harbours under the power of strange cotton-sail combinations and old fashioned lee boards. Beyond that the French do seem to have sails up a heck of a lot quicker than is customary in the UK.

There is something immensely satisfying beating out of a harbour entrance and if the OP wanted to start his sailing experience at his Pilsea anchorage as opposed to clear of the Bar Beacon then why not? With the caveat that he's a good sailor who actively finds places to tack so as to dance with as opposed to blustering through the other vessels, then I'd offer him a cheery wave and a thumbs up (y)

One more caveat, the OP must be aware that fellow racers will mark every tack of his and will remind him of any misses should our paths ever cross! ?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Ive sailed into Pompey harbour twice on yachts with problems. I called Qhm, no problem. Ferries asked to wait. As soon asI got into Haslar Creek I called them to say I was clear. Haslar Marina was up and running so both times I just sailed alongside and got sorted. Good guys at QHM.

With a commanding wind a friend has been known to sail into Portsmouth Harbour without his transgression being spotted.

However he is a bit of a secret anarchist and has been known to deliberately allow his soup to boil thus impairing the flavour.

Stemar

Visit site
Why put everyone else to a lot of trouble and stress unnecessarily?
It seems to me that this is the nub of the matter. To me, it's also one of the principles of good seamanship. OK, sometimes you've no choice but, when you have, choose a bit of consideration. There's also the aspect that it's also good seamanship on my part not to expect good seamanship of the other guy, eg the one who thinks "I'm racing" trumps starboard tack, or the mobo that has no understanding that a yacht can't go directly to windward.

One thing I do know is that if I do have to tack up a channel, I'm going to allow a good bit of slack in my planning so I can stand on a bit further or tack a bit earlier depending on what's going on around me.

TernVI

Visit site
Most of the time you'd be fine.
Different people will have different opinions about how much traffic is too much.
Bear in mind also that sometimes while sailing out, you can be overtaking other craft and hence 'give way'.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
So, the consensus seems to be that it's probably lawful to sail out of the harbour entrance - it absolutely is - but that it's nevertheless disrespectful to fellow sailors and moboers to needlessly stress them like that.

I'm not so sure.
I'm with you. We should not all be choosing courses of action to avoid "disrespecting" and stressing the incompetent. If they can't cope with a sailing boat, erm, sailing, the problem is theirs.

Mark-1

Visit site
As a Chi resident I don't really see any difference between sailing in the entrance and sailing in the Harbour itself which thousands of us do. Beating in the Chichester Channel/Emsworth Channel doesn't raise eyebrows. (As sailor of a small boat with young kids on board I've sailed almost exclusively in the Harbour this year - only left the harbour once this season and that was under sail out and return.)

If vessel size is the problem, then where's the boundary where it becomes rude? My bilge keeler feels less nimble to me than a J122.

Chichester Harbour isn't a very sensible destination for anyone who doesn't like negotiating their way through sailing boats.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
With a commanding wind a friend has been known to sail into Portsmouth Harbour without his transgression being spotted.

However he is a bit of a secret anarchist and has been known to deliberately allow his soup to boil thus impairing the flavour.
What are the mandatory regulations for the entrance at Portsmouth harbour? Is he really too important to follow them? Or just thinks he is?

dom

Visit site
Set out here as relates to "small" boats:
Small Boat Channel | Royal Navy

It's definitely policed quite firmly.

Is it? I'm based in P'mouth and never follow that rule to the letter and neither do many (most?) Usual procedure is to approach harbour entrance under sail switching the donc on about 50-100m from Fort Blockhouse, the lee of which is incidentally a great place to drop sails. Then tootle on up to Ballast Buoy under power. Exiting, donc goes off once through the entrance and the sails fill. All assuming that the wind allows normal speed and maneuverability.

Never been challenged and always return a cheery wave with the QHM Volunteer launch when it's there.

TernVI

Visit site
In Portsmouth entrance though, yachts of the sort which one would expect to have an engine tend to be assumed to be motoring in the entrance rather than breaking the law.
So be careful about assuming 'stand on ' status just because you have some sails up.

Zagato

Visit site
The last time I motored out of Chi Harbour in my sail boat I and others had to pass through a swarm of sailing dingies that I think were racing.... one guy had to frustratingly tack to avoid me by his expression but there was little I could do in such a narrow channel with boats everywhere, best to stay on a visible consistent course I felt, you divert to avoid one then hit another or run aground. Bloody stupid racing across the entrance unless they are careful and understand it will be frustrating avoiding the train of lager boats going in and out....

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Is it? I'm based in P'mouth and never follow that rule to the letter and neither do many (most?) Usual procedure is to approach harbour entrance under sail switching the donc on about 50-100m from Fort Blockhouse, the lee of which is incidentally a great place to drop sails. Then tootle on up to Ballast Buoy under power. Exiting, donc goes off once through the entrance and the sails fill. All assuming that the wind allows normal speed and maneuverability.

Never been challenged and always return a cheery wave with the QHM Volunteer launch when it's there.
The first time I sailed out of Pompey harbour, starboard hand markers were black and the person who invented the small boat channel may have still been in school. ??

I was at the time.