Bowthruster remote control

Visit site
Ah, thx. Yes I guess it is compatible with proportional control if you upgrade the controller with the £600+ version ;)
I built my own. It started as a Sidepower 55 and I originally added a 4QD speed controller but that didn't work with 12 volt so I replaced the Sidepower motor with a 24 volt Ampflow. Works a treat now but the only Sidepower bit left is the gearbox! The beauty of it is that because it's proportional you can leave it on with as little power as needed while you sort out lines, leaving or arriving.

matt1

Visit site
So is your thruster the PRO version, or not?
I’ve not been down to the boat so can’t confirm which model, but it definitely has the slink cabling as I have a photo of that on my phone, so I think I it is the pro thruster, but with a std two button control, rather than the pro controller

pvb

Visit site
I’ve not been down to the boat so can’t confirm which model, but it definitely has the slink cabling as I have a photo of that on my phone, so I think I it is the pro thruster, but with a std two button control, rather than the pro controller

Strange to fit the PRO version without the benefits.

matt1

Visit site
Strange to fit the PRO version without the benefits.
I think the pro controller would have got damaged where they installed the current one, which to be fair is about the only sensible place you could put the controller. But I agree, it seems a bit counterintuitive. From what I can see the pro controller stands proud and would be a good rope catcher

Ademist

Visit site
I have the pro version with a remote which is very useful, however, the remote doesn’t allow use of the proportional control facility.
That only happens from the main slink control box at the helm

Visit site
I have the pro version with a remote which is very useful, however, the remote doesn’t allow use of the proportional control facility.
That only happens from the main slink control box at the helm
Quite so. I could fit a remote to my home-grown one but likewise it would only be on/off working a relay, not proportional. For that I'd guess you'd need a much more complex remote akin to a model aircraft controller.

matt1

Visit site
By way of an update; I fitted the Sidepower remote (determining in the process that I don't have proportional control, as you guys suggested).

The remote was hellish expensive (for what it is) but was very easy to fit (just plug the S link cables together and screw rx to a bulkhead) and looks well made (as you would expect from Sidepower). Seems very easy and will, I think, be a real boon in singlehanded mooring. Even when alongside it will help from the pontoon when sweating the bow line in for instance. I have "upgraded" their lanyard for the remote to one that doesn't have a safety link in it.....I can see that getting snagged in a guardwire, breaking open and the remote going overboard, so for now I'll stick with the risk that I may strangle myself with a non breakable lanyard