One week until new boat :)

Tickleman

Visit site
Interesting you say about volvo parts being cheaper Steve.

I've asked a few dealers / mechanics abut volvo v cummins with various answer. Most have said Cummins parts are cheaper (but sounds like this may be changing), but the only common comment i hear is that Cummins are lower revving, so in theory, longer lasting?

5teve

Visit site
The Cummins engines are a bit lower revving although I'm not sure what size the d6 is.. but the 6bta is one of the largest number produced engines in the world and is /was used in trucks and buses all over. Good base engine that does need maintenance but when done right can last 10 to 20000 hours easily.

Cummins pricing used to be cheap as.. then they changed their pricing policy.. filters are cheap and that's about it.. turbos.. 3.5k minimum, but I got them rebuilt. Aftercooler about 6k from the states god knows how much from here. Stupid things like aftercooler orings, $114 each! They can't cost Cummins more than a few cents. I could go on.. the good thing is that you can find part and expertise outside the marine world which makes things more tolerable.. Maybe Volvo parts are more. No idea to be fair!

Steve

AndieMac

Visit site
Thanks Steve and Andie.

Steve: yep, I was moored up next to Tsalta in Geordie Bay over the March long weekend, plus, the original sales video for Tsalta is still on YouTube;

Plus, the original review from the late David Lockwood

Leeder 38

Andie: the only one's I know that went east and was rebranded;

- Precision 17 mould, which is now with Steber
- Fury 32 - now Matilda Bay 32
- Randell - the 26 / 27 mould were destroyed in a fire, then replaced with the 28. The 32 mould is still in WA, but the rest were shipped overseas and never heard of again
- Fraser - had a bit of a resurgence at Commodore Marine, but apparently packed up and sent somewhere in Asia after Commodore Marine collapsed
- Thomascraft moulds are all still in WA (I notice on Gumtree there's someone with building the original 35 again, plus a new 35 was just launched at my YC about a month ago with twin outboards)

Victorian ski boat builder Flightcraft did a flash cruiser from the Blaxall moulds in the late 80’s
Sovereign Qld did a 40’er from Thomascraft/Mustang from memory.

I also met Len Randall, a lovely guy, said motor boats were his bread and butter, but yachts were his passion.

5teve

Visit site
I also met Len Randall, a lovely guy, said motor boats were his bread and butter, but yachts were his passion.

Yep I met him when our friend launched his then 100 year old boat after a plank by plank rebuild. Len did the design for the lug sail mast etc for it.. and came to the grand launch. The boat was designed and built by our friends great great grandfather which he didnt realise when he first saw it.. when he knew.. he knew he had to have it!

speaking of the devil himself I was just looking for the launch pics (for interest and thread drift.. ) and here he was! Very busy day with a lot of interest from the classic boats guys..

Anyway.. drifted too far back in the past.. back to the 80's onwards :)

Steve

Attachments

• 20130224-_IGP0178.jpg
    20130224-_IGP0178.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20130224-_IGP0185.jpg
    20130224-_IGP0185.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20130224-_IGP0245.jpg
    20130224-_IGP0245.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20130224-_IGP0249.jpg
    20130224-_IGP0249.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 8

5teve

Visit site
Thanks Steve and Andie.

Steve: yep, I was moored up next to Tsalta in Geordie Bay over the March long weekend, plus, the original sales video for Tsalta is still on YouTube;

Plus, the original review from the late David Lockwood

Leeder 38

Andie: the only one's I know that went east and was rebranded;

- Precision 17 mould, which is now with Steber
- Fury 32 - now Matilda Bay 32
- Randell - the 26 / 27 mould were destroyed in a fire, then replaced with the 28. The 32 mould is still in WA, but the rest were shipped overseas and never heard of again
- Fraser - had a bit of a resurgence at Commodore Marine, but apparently packed up and sent somewhere in Asia after Commodore Marine collapsed
- Thomascraft moulds are all still in WA (I notice on Gumtree there's someone with building the original 35 again, plus a new 35 was just launched at my YC about a month ago with twin outboards)

Hi TM

Tsalta actually sold again recently.. (I think) - I think the previous owners that bought when the video was made by Brendan Grieves (Spelling) sold it after a year. Its now moored up at Mindarie but looks to be getting some use out of it as we have seem him there and down at Freo as well as the river.

Can I ask what you have now?

Steve

Tickleman

Visit site
Yep, Len Randell is a great guy. Still sailing out of SoPYC. He did the opening day for the power boat season a few years back and spoke about taking a 32 flybridge around the top of Australia for delivery.. I would've though it would've been too small.

Steve: I just sold my Sunrunner 3300. Great boat (had a 2800 Sunrunner before it), but got the inevitable 'foot disease' as they say

Tickleman

Visit site
Victorian ski boat builder Flightcraft did a flash cruiser from the Blaxall moulds in the late 80’s
Sovereign Qld did a 40’er from Thomascraft/Mustang from memory.

Yep, and the AM38/40 (Australian Marine) became the White Cap 40... they did a great job on remaking that one!

5teve

Visit site
HI TM

Have you had a look at the thomascrafts? Just giving you other options - I like the thomascrafts but wouldnt want a single engine.. I also like the AM 40+ and some of the precision marine craft.. there are some good value boats if you are willing to hunt and wait.. If the leeder you are looking at is very clean - they are good boats - Ours was cheap.. very cheap, but i'm spending some good money on getting it up to spec. It works well for us, however it does seem to be a bit narrow - especially the side cabin 'double' its slightly smaller than a standard double width wise.. however looking at the one you are looking at.. it looks like they widened it by a few inches and narrowed down the storage. It also looks like the 'bathroom' has been narrowed too.

Steve

5teve

Visit site
Oh and are you a member of SoPYC? Had some great opening days there (was VC at Ocean reef) and had some great opening days at Ocean reef with the past Commodore Paul W.. Great bunch.

I'm planning on heading to the boat tomorrow (in all its ripped up floor glory) after a meeting at HYC to probably around 11am.. if you wanted to jump on and have a look?

Steve

Tickleman

Visit site
HI TM

Have you had a look at the thomascrafts? Just giving you other options - I like the thomascrafts but wouldnt want a single engine.. I also like the AM 40+ and some of the precision marine craft.. there are some good value boats if you are willing to hunt and wait.. If the leeder you are looking at is very clean - they are good boats - Ours was cheap.. very cheap, but i'm spending some good money on getting it up to spec. It works well for us, however it does seem to be a bit narrow - especially the side cabin 'double' its slightly smaller than a standard double width wise.. however looking at the one you are looking at.. it looks like they widened it by a few inches and narrowed down the storage. It also looks like the 'bathroom' has been narrowed too.

Steve

I would've loved a Thomascraft... The other half isn't a fan, so that got ruled out right away unfortunately.

I was debating between a Caribbean 35 and the Leeder 40. Hence why i'm trying to find as much info as possible on the Leeder. They don't come up often and hard to find anyone that knows much about them, so hearing from a current owner's thoughts is fantastic.

Tickleman

Visit site
Oh and are you a member of SoPYC? Had some great opening days there (was VC at Ocean reef) and had some great opening days at Ocean reef with the past Commodore Paul W.. Great bunch.

I'm planning on heading to the boat tomorrow (in all its ripped up floor glory) after a meeting at HYC to probably around 11am.. if you wanted to jump on and have a look?

Steve

haha, I know Paul very well. I was on his Committee whilst he was Commodore. Paul and his wife were actually the first two members I met when I joined the Club.

Yeah, I could get up that way tomorrow.

5teve

Visit site
haha, I know Paul very well. I was on his Committee whilst he was Commodore. Paul and his wife were actually the first two members I met when I joined the Club.

Yeah, I could get up that way tomorrow.

Just wondering what it takes to activate PM's on here? Just wondering if you have them switched off in your profile (if that's even possible) it's been so long since I registered on here I forgot the requirements!

I was just going to message you my number...

Just looked and if you look in your profile under security there's an options for private messages.. see if yours is switched on.. or not ?

Steve

Tickleman

Visit site
Just wondering what it takes to activate PM's on here? Just wondering if you have them switched off in your profile (if that's even possible) it's been so long since I registered on here I forgot the requirements!

I was just going to message you my number...

Just looked and if you look in your profile under security there's an options for private messages.. see if yours is switched on.. or not ?

Steve
Try that now... I should be able to receive messages from anyone I follow, so I just added you to follow