Next week France or West Country?

Sadlerfin

Visit site
As a Solent based boat I'm thinking of setting off next week for a week or two now we are being released.

What are the forums thoughts? I'm thinking our marinas may be reduced in their capacity (rafting in particular) and busy......?? Does anyone know what the situation is in France maybe Cherbuorg or St Vaast now we're allowed to travel there.

Thanks

Delbuoy

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I noted on another thread that Weymouth are not currently allowing rafting and expecting a £20 non-refundable deposit to reserve a berth.

The risk of Portland marina then becoming full is making me have second thoughts about heading West.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
I noted on another thread that Weymouth are not currently allowing rafting and expecting a £20 non-refundable deposit to reserve a berth.

The risk of Portland marina then becoming full is making me have second thoughts about heading West.

this summer your best friend may well turn out to be the anchor. . . . . . . . Save loads on marina fees as well

DJE

www.casl.uk.com

If you're going properly west it's easier to miss out Weymouth and go Studland to Dartmouth or some such. We did Gosport to Plymouth in about 20 hours a couple of years ago. In suitable weather it seems to be the simplest way to get to the West Country.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I have done Poole to Dartmouth without any issues (apart from the tedium of motoring the entire way in virtually no wind) but I feel happier in having the option of cutting the journey short if things don't quite work out as planned

colhel

Visit site

Apart from the bridge lift, is there much difference time wise between Weymouth Marina and Portland? Last week there were quite a few empty bouys outside Portland Marina entrance, I don't know who owns them or if they're occupied now though.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I just checked with the marina office here in Boulogne France and there are no issues whatsoever with British boats visiting and moving from port to port in French waters.... (You might have a problem on arriving back in the UK although I suspect the air corridor to France will be established soon and apply to pleasure boats returning from France to UK)

chubby

www.flickr.com
Does Studland to Dartmouth also take you well outside the race or did you do the inshore passage? inshore seems natural if coming from Portland or Weymouth

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Does Studland to Dartmouth also take you well outside the race or did you do the inshore passage? inshore seems natural if coming from Portland or Weymouth
I usually set a way point about 5 miles south of Portland Bill. Almost a straight line if you're going to Start Point. Slight kink if you're going to Torbay or Dartmouth.

Boathook

Visit site
With Portland I normally do the inshore but you need to keep an eye out for pot markers. With St Albans i do either inshore or well out. I did try a halfway option many years ago on a wind less day and found the overfalls to be a 6 foot wall of water. Only just managed to shut hatches, etc in time as water flooded over the cabin top!