This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Well now you do!

Delighted to hear he's hoping to get a shipwright on the case.

He hasn’t quite got them in place yet... I don’t understand his objection to using the boil in the bag method. The sooner he gets the breasthook in, the better.

Yes, if he can find someone good locally he will be able to speed up quite a bit.

ridgy

Visit site
I think everybody involved would like to see it completed soon as...his hosts, their neighbours, not to say leo himself. At current rate of progress it's another 3 years at least. I think he received some firm advice from Luke Powell on his recent visit.

Kukri

Visit site
I hadn’t heard that said. I think I have heard 50% for the hull, decks and deck houses, cockpits, etc., for a conventional wooden vessel.

I can see that for other construction methods the figure might be less.

Anyway, she will need spars, rigging, sails, engine, tanks and plumbing, batteries and wiring, yottigation stuff, anchors chain and windlass(es) pumps and then below deck furniture

Kukri

Visit site
Maybe he will choose pine for the deck,quite suitable if old growth can be found.

From reading Claud Worth’s “Yacht Cruising”, I get the impression that teak decks were a 1920s thing. Before then, pine was universal, varnished with “deck varnish” in the winter and scrubbed white in the summer. And replaced every ten years...

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
I knew some Canadians who bought and fitted out a Danish fishing boat as a schooner they imported British Columbian Pine to make all their spars,Leo should be looking to choose and fell suitable trees so they can be seasoned.......maybe he has.

ridgy

Visit site
I need to watch this one again. Maybe twice. Pattern making, mould making, and casting in silicon bronze.

Unbelievable. Both in terms of the amount of labour required and the hit and miss results. Seems that the process hasn't improved in 200 years.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Unbelievable. Both in terms of the amount of labour required and the hit and miss results. Seems that the process hasn't improved in 200 years.
I enjoyed that one! But I was wondering where the money for this is coming from - he spoke of material costs of $11,000, just for the bronze floors, and I guess the foundry costs would double that quite easily, without taking the cost of making the patterns into account!

The other thing I didn't understand was why wasn't he using a "lost wax" process? It would be much easier to make the patterns using a malleable material akin to dental wax, and the casting process would be simpler - no need for a two-part mould, with all the hazards of separating the two parts and removing the pattern piece. He only needs one of every part, so having a permanent pattern isn't an advantage.

ridgy

Visit site
The other thing I didn't understand was why wasn't he using a "lost wax" process?

Email him and ask, he seems to need all the help he can get with this part.

For the money he has 3285 patreons and the cheapest level is 2 dollars per video. At 2 videos per month that comes to 13k usd per month! And some will be paying a higher level plus youtube advertising etc.

No wonder he can afford to pay the other guy!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Email him and ask, he seems to need all the help he can get with this part.

For the money he has 3285 patreons and the cheapest level is 2 dollars per video. At 2 videos per month that comes to 13k usd per month! And some will be paying a higher level plus youtube advertising etc.

No wonder he can afford to pay the other guy!
Thanks for explaining the funding - I've never got into the "patreon" business!

It's a bit late to suggest using another technique - he's already invested vast time and effort in making patterns, so I don't think he'll welcome another way to do it! But it might be interesting to hear why he didn't - anyone doing brass founding will know the technique; it has been around since the Bronze Age!

Kukri

Visit site
The Port Townsend Foundry has been around for years and is well known. Right back in the very early videos (pre-Patreon) Leo was talking to them about bronze types and bronze components.

I am sure that there is a reason why things are being done in the way that they are. I don’t recall the lost wax method being used for large components but I may be wrong.

This isn’t any old boat. She’s the biggest surviving Albert Strange boat. If Fifes are the vintage Bentleys of the old boat world, Albert Strange designs are the Bugattis. Oh, and she won the first bad weather Fastnet.

I am one of the three thousand and odd and happy to be one.

Other threads that may be of interest