Ethnic minorities and sailing.

Babylon

Visit site
There's another positive too. About 3 years ago I went to a small market in my favourite spot in Bavaria. There was a chap there selling cheese, who was either from India or Pakistan. We spoke in German. He told me that Salzburg now has six cricket teams. They are all Asians who play.

That's really irresponsible! If cricket ever catches on more widely with "Jerry" then we've had it!! ?

dom

Visit site
I'm horrified that you think this forum is the sort of place you can spew out such vile opinions. Oh well, another one for the ignore list.

Nice to see the likes of you, MarkCX, and many others speak out (y) The trouble is, a side effect of comments such as those you highlight is their tendency to hijack threads and turn them into pointless slanging matches.

Trolls love it, but over time the forum loses its friendly buzz as saily types drift away.

I can't be the only one who has noticed this happening.

Sad

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
You need to take a visit to Hong Kong, or even Singapore, and see the number of Chinese who enjoy boating and swimming. The last race in which I competed was in an Impala, crewed by three HK and two Singapore Chinese. We won, despite some language difficulties.
My wife is from Hong Kong; her father was a keen fisherman who took his own boat out to preferred fishing spots. He was past doing that when I knew him, but he was pleased to know that we have a boat, and asked questions about it! As we didn't have a language in common, these were relayed through my wife. A substantial minority in Hong Kong live aboard boats ("Boat People"); they are a separate linguistic group to others.

Babylon

Visit site
Lots of ethnic minorities on the Hamble at present... Some are bladdered, a few are slaughtered, some of their womenfolk have got their tits out...

Vid

Visit site
How sure are you about that? A boat broker once told me that a disproportionate number of boat owners were gay. I do know at least a few and more than I know in my land life, so I suspect it may be true.
It’s full of straights here, just read what they say.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Many black and asian people seem to have an aversion to water - I'm talking about swimming, not washing. The majority of them seem not to be able to swim, so this may be one factor in their scarcity on boats.

Don't mean to be offensive, but have you actually visited a swimming pool in recent years (or decades)?

I sail nowadays and, personally, have developed an aversion to sea immersion. While it is true that I hardly ever see BAME sailors in Scotland, I used to exercise regularly in London swimming pools and, being perfectly honest about it, I never noticed any black or brown "aversion to water".

Different experiences/observations perhaps?