France open for business

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
France's quarantine is friendly, no checks and no fine enforcement, much like UK's really?

From other posts on Scuttlebutt and the ECF;

You may be fined up to £100 if you refuse to provide your contact details. You may be fined more if you break this rule more than once. You may also be fined up to £1,000 if you refuse to self-isolate, or you could face further action

Entering the UK

Whether or not the UK will be able to properly enforce this is another matter but that does seem quite different a friendly voluntary regime?

syvictoria

Visit site
Does the current FCO advice ("The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel.") have any real consequences on a trip (by car or personal boat) to France, for example in terms of insurance cover (car and boat, rather than personal travel insurance)? I can't see anything specific in my yacht insurance policy terms wording?

westhinder

Visit site
Presumably their ports are still closed to foreign-flagged boats.
The news we have from our club is that the ports are open for boats from the Schengen countries, so not for U.K. boats. That kind of measures is always based on reciprocity, so as long as the U.K. insists on a 14 day quarantine, I expect a similar treatment for British boats on this side of the Channel or the North Sea

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
That's not correct - unless there's a port/ sailing-specific rule? In general: "Travel from the UK will no longer be restricted from 15 June 2020 midnight but in reciprocity of British regulations, travellers arriving from the UK will be asked to observe a 14-day quarantine period on arrival in France."

From the same (i.e. French Govt) source: "...for travellers arriving from European countries whose authorities have decided, without coordination with France, to apply quarantine measures to travellers entering their territory from other European countries, a voluntary quarantine will be requested on the grounds of reciprocity." (my emphasis!)

But it will be interesting to see if UK boats are welcome, as well as being legally permitted to enter. Under UK law, of course, you can't actually overnight in France!

Remember that there are no customs restrictions for UK boats until the end of the transition period, so there is no reporting requirement on arrival. As the quarantine is voluntary, I don't see that this implies you now have to report your arrival.

Last edited:

Stork_III

Visit site
That's not correct - unless there's a port/ sailing-specific rule? In general: "Travel from the UK will no longer be restricted from 15 June 2020 midnight but in reciprocity of British regulations, travellers arriving from the UK will be asked to observe a 14-day quarantine period on arrival in France."

From the same (i.e. French Govt) source: "...for travellers arriving from European countries whose authorities have decided, without coordination with France, to apply quarantine measures to travellers entering their territory from other European countries, a voluntary quarantine will be requested on the grounds of reciprocity." (my emphasis!)

But it will be interesting to see if UK boats are welcome, as well as being legally permitted to enter. Under UK law, of course, you can't actually overnight in France!

Remember that there are no customs restrictions for UK boats until the end of the transition period, so there is no reporting requirement on arrival. As the quarantine is voluntary, I don't see that this implies you now have to report your arrival.

There should be a requirement to lodge a Schengen Crew list, but I don't think the French bother.

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
The overnight thing should be going on 4 July anyway with any luck.. The UK Govt said they'll review the quarantine rules after three weeks (came into force 8 June, so end of June). Given that it was clearly a political gesture (at least in so far as it applies to places like France), I'm hopeful the Govt will drop it at that point under pressure from the travel industry and the general population. Wishful thinking maybe.

Hadenough

Visit site
Sadly, despite the easing of entry into France from today, Brittany Ferries are still not planning to start passenger service until June 28th.
I've considered it, but driving an extra 330 miles to get to my boat via Dover seems a step too far for the moment...

Early Signs of a Return to Normality, a message from our CEO
Saw that. Very impressed with Britany Ferries response to the initial panic and subsequent reaction and updating of the situation. Desperate to get back to the boat but have decided to see how things settle down before venturing out! Not sure how the French will react to an incoming UK registered car and faltering laguauge.

Lightwave395

Visit site
Decided I can't wait any longer, if Brittany Ferries update tomorrow confirms they still won't start service until June 28th, I'm off to France under the tunnel Sunday.
I'm at least driving a French car, maybe they won't notice the number plates...!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Decided I can't wait any longer, if Brittany Ferries update tomorrow confirms they still won't start service until June 28th, I'm off to France under the tunnel Sunday.
I'm at least driving a French car, maybe they won't notice the number plates...!

FWIW, cheapest days to travel on Eurotunnel usually are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
You will find that if you book your ticket for travel Sunday tomorrow (Saturday) you will end up paying through the nose.

Lightwave395

Visit site
FWIW, cheapest days to travel on Eurotunnel usually are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
You will find that if you book your ticket for travel Sunday tomorrow (Saturday) you will end up paying through the nose.
I saw that yesterday when I checked the fares, Sunday up until midday was an exhorbitant £175 but it dropped to £110 after 1300. Looking just now it's gone to £175 all day so they can take a hike and I'll probably go with P&O instead !

Poignard

Visit site
You've got to look the part. Wear a beret and smoke a Gauloise!

1592407162894.png