Moving to Power

Seastoke

Visit site
We went to Norfolk buy a azi 42 went wrong yard told the guy he says we have a sealine 42 have a look while you are here , so went look at the azi total crap went back look at sealine . Made offer but the guy was very stubborn. Then bought one from burton waters.
No this was two years ago , you have to travel to compete boats we went Ireland it took 4 days to do a deal with the broker then the seller pulled out.

Kawasaki

Visit site
Did some training/instruction on one of those last year
Yer know, 'pontoon bashing' close quarters stuff , berthing un berthing. etc
Both days it was chucking it down and one day was quite blowy
So mostly we had the 'Tent' up
Peering through the plastic windows whilst berthing etc is a right pain
The owner was fairly competent but had no twin engine experience
Done His PB2 and Intermediate somewhere a few years back and had progressed through a small Fletcher with an out board on to a large RIB and to a Antares 760
His comments
'Ooh, the Antares was so much easier to move around and I clould see out with the wipers working' etc
'I think this is a bit bit too big for me' de blah de blah
A few weeks later I re visited
Fair play the Guy and His Mrs had practiced and practiced during suitible weather
We had just a couple of more hours and He was bloody good at manouvering etc
Just pointing out what to expect with an S 42 in the 'moving stakes' as it were
What I will say about them
Bloody Tardis inside and seem 'a lot of boat for the money' I HATE that phrase but you know what I mean!
Good Luck with it and Good Luck with the search(y)

lionelz

Visit site
Some thoughts.
Sometimes there is a choice but small boats sometimes only came with outdrives.

It was much cheaper and quicker for any boat builder to install an outdrive using unskilled labour.
Jig against the transom, cut the holes and bolt in your transom assembly.
No messing with bolting together engine gearbox and lining up shafts, a skilled and time consuming job, costing the builder money.
The only servicing of shafts was when stuff wore out relating to use and hours run. Usually years and years and a £50 cutlass bearing.

Outdrives passed to the buyer responsiblity for everlasting additional regular future expence of constantly having to service the bits that outdrives use to prevent water getting in and oil getting out..
The seller saves money and the buyer picks up the bill. Whats not to like.
The fuel saving agument is also a bit wobbly.
Unless you go from pontoon to WOT instantly and remain on the plane until your destinnation all those claimed savings will not be achieved .
Bet most journies involve faffing about a few knots to clear speed restrictions avoid wash to other craft , a limit time at speed and then some more faffing while you anchor or moor at your destination.
Sold a 33ft boat with outdrives (blessed be that day ) and purchased a 36 ft boat with shafts. Fuel burn was virtually indentical. Both boats were doing around 150 hours PA.
Those of us with aspirations but no money usually start out with outdrives, you will suffer and defend them but at some point the penny will drop. :)
And you are one of those who really dislikes them, very interesting that you brought up your same old boring and repetitive arguments ? you kind of make my point. I personally have them on my boat, I am happy with them, and think they are perfectly fine on a 30ftish boat. If I could afford to have a bigger boat I would definitely want them on a shaft drive. But it appears you are just to closed minded, old git by name old git by nature ? But I will bow to your clearly superior knowledge on the matter ?

JStordy

Visit site
Did some training/instruction on one of those last year
Yer know, 'pontoon bashing' close quarters stuff , berthing un berthing. etc
Both days it was chucking it down and one day was quite blowy
So mostly we had the 'Tent' up
Peering through the plastic windows whilst berthing etc is a right pain
The owner was fairly competent but had no twin engine experience
Done His PB2 and Intermediate somewhere a few years back and had progressed through a small Fletcher with an out board on to a large RIB and to a Antares 760
His comments
'Ooh, the Antares was so much easier to move around and I clould see out with the wipers working' etc
'I think this is a bit bit too big for me' de blah de blah
A few weeks later I re visited
Fair play the Guy and His Mrs had practiced and practiced during suitible weather
We had just a couple of more hours and He was bloody good at manouvering etc
Just pointing out what to expect with an S 42 in the 'moving stakes' as it were
What I will say about them
Bloody Tardis inside and seem 'a lot of boat for the money' I HATE that phrase but you know what I mean!
Good Luck with it and Good Luck with the search(y)

Well i may be looking for some 'pontoon bashing ' training - my experience is in sailing yachts - different kettle of fish and always plenty of crew - going to need to master this one single / short handed as wife not really up to being crew!!

oldgit

Visit site
And you are one of those who really dislikes them, very interesting that you brought up your same old boring and repetitive arguments ? you kind of make my point. I personally have them on my boat, I am happy with them, and think they are perfectly fine on a 30ftish boat. If I could afford to have a bigger boat I would definitely want them on a shaft drive. But it appears you are just to closed minded, old git by name old git by nature ? But I will bow to your clearly superior knowledge on the matter ?

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”
:):):)
Mark Twain.

BruceK

Visit site
Well i may be looking for some 'pontoon bashing ' training - my experience is in sailing yachts - different kettle of fish and always plenty of crew - going to need to master this one single / short handed as wife not really up to being crew!!

That might be ambitious without a remote joystick in anything other than millpond conditions. Better include that in the boat search or get the Mrs JStordy to learn the helm with a bit of pontoon bashing too.

JStordy

Visit site
That might be ambitious without a remote joystick in anything other than millpond conditions. Better include that in the boat search or get the Mrs JStordy to learn the helm with a bit of pontoon bashing too.
God forgive us - she does Waitrose car park bashing!! Fitting remote control sytem :)

JStordy

Visit site
Wow good for you! Decisiveness in a boat buyer. Whatever next :)

Get the survey done on the Mechanics, they are forwarding a structural survey that was done at the end of 2018 when the previous owner bought it - ill see what that looks like before i have a structural as well. Fitting stern thruster and remote so that i can single handed moor in most conditions - them have fun ! Ill be in touch re marina as it goes through!

JStordy

Visit site
Dockmate or similar? On outdrive boats without a joystick that really needs a stern thruster adding to get the best out of it.

EDIT you beat me to it!
yep - waiting for a quote from the yard next to the sales place for fitting - might as well while the boat is out of the water

Ian.S

Visit site
Any updates on this or pics?
Interested as I’m in the same boat, so to speak! What would be yearly costs on a boat like this, just servicing not berthing fees etc.