Moving to Power

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Looking at this - S42 -
2 x Volvo Penta D6 - 350hp - with approx. 890hrs and great history
Out drive service in bellows, anodes and anti-fouling Feb 2020
Full engine service Dec 2019

It has a Z-out drive is that another problem??
Looks like your budget is doing what they all do...!

I think that's the one at Solent MY. "Z outdrive" is an outdrive, it's not something extra weird. These boats (S41/S42/S43) have loads of space, you need to see whether you get on with the aft cabin, it's under the cockpit and has some headroom limitations. If you like it and fancy something to contrast it with, there's a nice S43 on shafts with TAMD74Ps, at Burton Waters that I came close to buying:
Sealine S43 7395113 – Burton Waters Boat Sales

JStordy

Visit site
Looks like your budget is doing what they all do...!

I think that's the one at Solent MY. "Z outdrive" is an outdrive, it's not something extra weird. These boats (S41/S42/S43) have loads of space, you need to see whether you get on with the aft cabin, it's under the cockpit and has some headroom limitations. If you like it and fancy something to contrast it with, there's a nice S43 on shafts with TAMD74Ps, at Burton Waters that I came close to buying:
Sealine S43 7395113 – Burton Waters Boat Sales
Was on a S41 yesterday - i like the layout - somebody is viewing this one today so have to wait and see! Problem with Barton Water is its a 500 mile round trip form here, a bit mush for a day until we get some hotels open - dont want to buy a boat blind, if the sold it to me for 120k i may think about it :)

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Was on a S41 yesterday - i like the layout - somebody is viewing this one today so have to wait and see! Problem with Barton Water is its a 500 mile round trip form here, a bit mush for a day until we get some hotels open - dont want to buy a boat blind, if the sold it to me for 120k i may think about it :)
OK if you like the S41 then it's probable the S42 and S43 will also appeal. There are several different cabin top styles - open, a short T-top and a bigger canopy top with a small canvas infill which is what the S43 has. It's a relatively thirsty animal with those big engines.

Might want to join the Sealine Forum - plenty of well informed owners on there: Sealine Forum

Where do you live? Burton Waters has two sites, one near Lincoln and one at Ipswich which is where that S43 is.

JStordy

Visit site
yep = 42/43's look good really S38 up are ok - good rear access.

Seems like everybody has come out of lockdown and bought boats - they are moving fast

I live West of London - not far from the M25

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
OK, yes the 41/42/43 cockpits are very good.

Travel wise, I'd have thought that Ipswich about 200 return for you? Lincoln maybe 300 so that's a stiffish day. One truism is that you need to be willing to travel.

[2068]

Visit site
When I was trying to buy the SC35 I missed a few boats because I didn't move fast enough.
The really good ones were selling almost immediately, with the not-so-good ones sitting around for months on end.
The one I ended up buying was only on the website for a couple of days before I viewed it.

JStordy

Visit site
OK, yes the 41/42/43 cockpits are very good.

Travel wise, I'd have thought that Ipswich about 200 return for you? Lincoln maybe 300 so that's a stiffish day. One truism is that you need to be willing to travel.
Lincoln about 35 round trip from here - the real pain is no restaurants or anything open - cant get food or drink easily bloody covid!

before all this lockdown i used to regularly drive up to Aberdeen - 540 mile one way!

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
As you're travelling down there you could also contact the adjacent brokers to try and make the most of the trip

Bates Wharf which is next door to SMY
and
Clipper
Sea Ventures
Ancasta
All at Swanwick Marina just over the road.

Last edited:

JStordy

Visit site
As you're travelling down there you could also contact the adjacent brokers to try and make the most of the trip

and
Clipper
Sea Ventures
Ancasta
thanks - i will

Seastoke

Visit site
We went to Norfolk buy a azi 42 went wrong yard told the guy he says we have a sealine 42 have a look while you are here , so went look at the azi total crap went back look at sealine . Made offer but the guy was very stubborn. Then bought one from burton waters.

JStordy

Visit site
We went to Norfolk buy a azi 42 went wrong yard told the guy he says we have a sealine 42 have a look while you are here , so went look at the azi total crap went back look at sealine . Made offer but the guy was very stubborn. Then bought one from burton waters.
ahhh you bought the one from Burton Waters - they told me it was gone!

JStordy

Visit site

and
Clipper
Sea Ventures
Ancasta
Well - if i buy it its not far to move it to Swanick Marina - think ill need a truck!!:)

kashurst

Visit site
On servicing cost vs fuel efficiency you mean? Outdrive services on my boat about £1200 a year. Fuel burn about 3.5L/NM. Same boat with shafts probably use 5L/NM. Extra 1.5 L/NM or at £1 a litre 60/40 that's about £1.50 a mile or c. 800 miles. Knock some off as the shafts willl still need some work. Could be about right :) Woo. Man Maths.

shaft drive servicing is pretty minimal - my experience is they need new cutlass bearings about every 1000 hours or 10 years. A cutlass bearing is @ £100 for a 40 -45 foot boat. With the right tools its a straight forward job. so roughly £600ish every 10 years. Modern shaft seals need changing every ten years @ £40 each. Old fashioned gland seals rarely need re-packing and the rope is @ £5. Gearbox oil rarely needs changing and is cheap and very easy to do with the boat in the water. Many people with shaft drive boats never need to change these items in their ownership.

Outdrives do have some advantages and if I did more miles, more regularly I would have them. However I very rarely do 500 fast cruise miles in a year. So any fuel saving is lost in the extra servicing costs. In the end for me it's peace of mind. When the boat gets lifted there is not going to be a nasty surprise requiring an outdrive rebuild because water has got in or new hydraulic rams.
If a shaft drive boat hits a rock that is a big problem - theoretically yes it could sink the boat, usually its repair the props and straighten the shaft. However I have seen a boat where the outdrive got ripped right out. So either way if you hit something hard enough and fast enough its going to ruin your day.

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Fair enough. In my own case I couldn't find the 'right' boat with shafts, mostly about the compromises of age, size and price... Before I came to my senses I was seriously looking at a 50' s/seeker that was 15 years old. In the end I bought a smaller new boat. Ample room. Affordable. But it has O/d.... :)

I'll report back in a couple of years.