Scotland can go sailing on 28th May?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Phase 1 is a total "crock of sh!t"

I can drive 33 miles to see my 83 year old cousin in Troon and even though we maintain social distancing, there is a risk. I also have the issue of needing a pee.

However, I cannot drive 30 miles to work on my boat which is in Troon even though I will be on my own, I will have zero interaction with others and I will not be using anyones toilets.

In keeping with the Phase I call for using common sense, I for one will be using my common sense and make my own decisions as I need my new (to me) boat made ready for launch so I can get it out of the boatyard.

Rant over, feel better.
There is no law saying you cannot travel to your boat, been said a hundred times it is a guildline to allow people to make an informed decision.
I will be going to my boat 60 miles away and have no issues that I amt breaking any rules, my marina is opening and I Am going . after 80 days in the house
It is up to the marina to ensure the laws of social distancing are put into place , and that you follow them.
You are allowed to go to allotments, up a hill, sailing etc, the Government are asking you to be responsible in your distance to travel and give a guildline of 5 miles which allows people to make an informed decision,
If you boat working can be done in isolation go for it

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I can drive 33 miles to see my 83 year old cousin in Troon and even though we maintain social distancing, there is a risk. I also have the issue of needing a pee.

However, I cannot drive 30 miles to work on my boat which is in Troon even though I will be on my own, I will have zero interaction with others and I will not be using anyones toilets.

It's not completely irrational. The aim is to reduce travel as far as possible, and one way of doing that is to prioritise some reasons for travel. It could be argued that going to see an 83 year old relative is a more worthy activity than antifouling a boat. Of course you could avoid any interaction on the boat trip, but that would be hard to check or police.

Anyway, why isn't your cousin getting your boat ready for you, the lazy sod.

Quandary

Visit site
I thought I was not that easy to confuse but then I read this thread.
My boat is ashore in the club yard across the road and almost 100 yards from my house. (In Scotland)
I would like to walk over there, wash the decks and wax the hull, perhaps even replace the covers.
It seems unlikely that we might launch this summer so none of it urgent or essential, but it would keep me amused.
The location is exposed to view of anyone in the village main street.
Ignoring common sense which is easy for me having very little.
On what date or easement stage does Nicky concede that I can I do this ?

cherod

Visit site
quite simple i would have thot , according to our St Nicolas it would be acceptable for you to cycle across the road and then partake in some exercise on the boat .

FlyingGoose

Visit site
My boat is ashore in the club yard across the road and almost 100 yards from my house. (In Scotland)
I would like to walk over there, wash the decks and wax the hull, perhaps even replace the covers.
It seems unlikely that we might launch this summer so none of it urgent or essential, but it would keep me amused.
28th of May . as it is outside. your are partaking in exercise, and outdoor activities all at once, there is no specific definition of what is allowed, as usual the list would be extensive, but the key guildline is by yourself of family that you live with , and you keep you distance to others and only travel beyond 5 miles if necessary but not a law

Quandary

Visit site
quite simple i would have thot , according to our St Nicolas it would be acceptable for you to cycle across the road and then partake in some exercise on the boat .

Not my question, I support the measures to contain the spread of the disease and nothing I plan to do there is 'essential' so am not looking for a workaround like claiming to be exercising, this is not an example I want to set to my neighbours, I just want to go work openly on my boat while staying within the guidelines as well as the law.

cherod

Visit site
28th of May . as it is outside. your are partaking in exercise, and outdoor activities all at once, there is no specific definition of what is allowed, as usual the list would be extensive, but the key guildline is by yourself of family that you live with , and you keep you distance to others and only travel beyond 5 miles if necessary but not a law
maybe even buy a tin of polish at the local hardware store and therefor be supporting the local economy ,, win win situation .. :)

dunedin

Visit site
Not my question, I support the measures to contain the spread of the disease and nothing I plan to do there is 'essential' so am not looking for a workaround like claiming to be exercising, this is not an example I want to set to my neighbours, I just want to go work openly on my boat while staying within the guidelines as well as the law.
I am sure you would be absolutely fine to do that now, and certainly from 28th May. Refer to RYA site, which I expect will be further updated during the week RYA Scotland welcomes First Minister's announcement indicating a return for outdoor activity
You are being encouraged to “check your (boating) equipment carefully” by the national authority, so it would be remiss full of you not to do so.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
To me your situation is completely unambiguous. Owning and using a boat falls into two categories (1) recreation and (2) sport (if you go in for competive sailing) In both cases maintenance is an essential aspect of owning a boat. I can see no legal or moral impediment to working on your boat.

D

Deleted member 36384

To me your situation is completely unambiguous. Owning and using a boat falls into two categories (1) recreation and (2) sport (if you go in for competive sailing) In both cases maintenance is an essential aspect of owning a boat. I can see no legal or moral impediment to working on your boat.

I agree but there could be significant emotional reactions to folks following your interpretation of the guidance. Glad to see the RYA believes, subject to the details being available this week, that in principle we can go sailing on the 28th.

From dunedin's link #88

When we enter Phase 1, it will be more important than ever that we be vigilant in ensuring our safety afloat. Our message to all of Scotland’s boating community will remain for them to be considerate and conservative as they return to the water. Have a plan before you go, check your equipment thoroughly as it hasn’t been used for a while, stay well within your limits and experience and if in doubt, don’t go out!

RYA Scotland will examine the detailed guidance from the Scottish Government when it becomes available and use this to inform advice and guidance for clubs to support their safe and responsible return to activities when we move to Phase 1.

Quandary

Visit site
Thanks, nice clear answer which accords with the thread title, feel a bit stupid now but my confusion arose from the 90 odd posts above.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
with 90 odd experts how can you possibly still be in a quandary ?

Well I am still in a quandary. My lady is saying I will be breaking the law by going down to my boat under Phase 1. I don't even want to go sailing, I just want to work on the dam boat on my own, without using the marina toilets, working inside, being practically invisible.

Have read the RYA status and it seems to be defending the status quo rather than lobbying the Scottish Parliament that boat owners can only enjoy their chosen recreation if they can get to their bloody boats. It is an unfair comparison when it is said "its the same for hill walking, yes hill walkers may not get to their chosen hill 30 miles away but they could find some hills within the 5 ish mile radius of their home. I cant go and find a boat I can work on within a 5 mile radius of my home. Just bloody nonsense.. . Result I will not be voting YES if this is the sh!t they come up with.

cherod

Visit site
Well I am still in a quandary. My lady is saying I will be breaking the law by going down to my boat under Phase 1. I don't even want to go sailing, I just want to work on the dam boat on my own, without using the marina toilets, working inside, being practically invisible.

Have read the RYA status and it seems to be defending the status quo rather than lobbying the Scottish Parliament that boat owners can only enjoy their chosen recreation if they can get to their bloody boats. It is an unfair comparison when it is said "its the same for hill walking, yes hill walkers may not get to their chosen hill 30 miles away but they could find some hills within the 5 ish mile radius of their home. I cant go and find a boat I can work on within a 5 mile radius of my home. Just bloody nonsense.. . Result I will not be voting YES if this is the sh!t they come up with.
maybe better having a word with the marina opps rather than your " lady " . ( maybe she enjoys having you at home :) )

D

Deleted member 36384

I’ll help you out:-
  • Phase 1 has not started yet. It is proposed to start it on the 28th of May, assuming Covid trends continue on their beneficial way.
  • The RYA Status is not defending the status quo, they believe we can go sailing in Phase 1, subject to clarification of the detail.
  • The 5 miles is a guideline. That has been clarified by the first minister.
  • The yard or marina will have more influence on whether you get access to your yacht based on their risk assessment of back to work in a declining pandemic.
  • The road map can not be explicit, because of the variable nature, some could suggest extremes, of Scottish geography, population centers, closeness of facilities. I suspect the road map is both conservative and cautious in attempting to prevent an increase of infection.
  • Maybe, just maybe, there is more to voting “Yes” than when you can get access to your yacht during a global pandemic.