Scotland can go sailing on 28th May?

Spyro

Visit site
Website has crashed but STV have it posted on twitter. Travel is no more than 5 miles! oh well thats me not getting to the boat!
That’s the “advice”. No mention of sailing or staying overnight. I assume if you live within 5 miles of your boat it’s perfectly acceptable. If phase 1 goes ahead.

Elessar

Visit site
There's a fleet of them at Hayling Island sailing club in Chi Harbour. Dependent totally on body weight to keep upright as far as I can see, but they dont seem to fall over any more often than other modern racing dinghies. I never sailed one, (I dont like boats that can tip you in!), but they look no more difficult to get going properly than a sailboard as far as I can see.
Thanks. I’ll take a trip down to sparkes once that’s OK and wander round and ask. I’d love a go on one. I used to race dinghies but not “modern” ones (enterprises) so it may just be a swimming day. let’s see. Can’t wait to try.
I see moths in Southampton water quite often and they really look cool.

More on thread, I paddleboarded over to my friends boat tonight. His wife and he sat on their bathing platform and I sat on the pontoon. Their kids were onboard too.
We had a lovely, socially distanced evening. Wine and good company.
He’s a consultant surgeon and wouldn’t put his family at risk.

Obviously it’s a different virus over the border. Sorry you got the bad one up there (and in Wales)

Stooriefit

Visit site
It look like it is travel by car that is limited. So you can't travel more than 5 miles to get to your boat but if you were on the boat you could sail as far as you like!

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
For cruisers rather than day sailors, there are two fundamental issues in my view;
1. UK/Scottish government advice/instruction; and,
2. Whether visiting boats will be made welcome in harbours and shops when restocking with water, fuel and stores.

I'd like to think that both will be synchronous, but I hae ma doots....

FlyingGoose

Visit site
First minster today 12,30pm it is a guildline, she is trying to stop everyone going to a beauty spot, there is no restrictions to travel at all !! the 5 miles is a guildline, ie,e if there is a mountain you want to climb in the North please do not go and climb one that is much closer,
Makes perfect sense to me , them I m an Aspie,
Driving to your boat is allowed, to then go exercise and leisure, be aware that a lot of marinas might not be open also , pontoons might be closed and there might be no pick up bouys, but anchor off isolate yourself and do not wander into small communities,
Pretty simple
My Marina has emailed and is open Thursday for lifts

awol

Visit site
First minster today 12,30pm it is a guildline, she is trying to stop everyone going to a beauty spot, there is no restrictions to travel at all !! the 5 miles is a guildline, ie,e if there is a mountain you want to climb in the North please do not go, climb one that is much closer,
Makes perfect sense to me , them I m an Aspie,
Driving to your boat is allowed, to then go exercise and leisure, be aware that a lot of marinas might not be open also , pontoons might be closed and there might be no pick up bouys, but anchor off isolate yourself and do not wander into small communities,
Pretty simple
My Marina has emailed and is open Thursday for lifts
I trust your marina's email mentions opening only after Nicola's announcement next Thursday - until that announcement, nought changes.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I trust your marina's email mentions opening only after Nicola's announcement next Thursday - until that announcement, nought changes.
She was pretty confident in her statement that if nothing changes the guidelines will commence, as the death rates and infection rate, and ICu beds are still falling I can only be positive that this will continue as it has been for the last 3 weeks , why should it suddenly go up,
Let us be proud as a nation that we have come this far and the virus is coming slowly under control

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've had an email exchange with my local outdoor activity centre today, and by their reading of the roadmap they won't be able to open till Phase 3, which is mid-July at the earliest. It's an inconvenience to us but for many businesses it's going to be really hard.

Elessar

Visit site
It's the same virus, but we are lucky that the population of England are being experimented on first. I hope there isn't a second peak of deaths.
Good Luck.
Delighted to be your guinea pig whilst enjoying my boat and at ZERO elevated risk to me or anyone else.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
I can't agree with some of the previous posts which imply that we can go to our boats after Thurs 28th May even if they are more than 5 miles away as this guidance has not changed.

What has been clarified is that there will be no restrictions on travel distance to visit relatives other than the comment that it would be extreamly unwise to enter the relatives home to use the loo and that there may ot be any public loos open.

The distance of around 5 miles for undertaking daily exercise offers some flexibility to where we might exercise and, for a fortunate few, will allow them to access their boat or take to the water. Many of us unfortunately are not so lucky and will need to wait until we reach Phase 3 before we can travel to our boats. This is no different to any other activity or sport and many golfers and hillwalkers are equally disappointed.
The general view is that freedom to go down to our boats will be under Phase 3.

One point which was mentioned on Reporting Scotland that police will not be stopping cars to check the distance people are driving but lets face it with number plate recognition it is an easy task to scan cars coming into an area and then back check through that good friend of motorists aka DVLC

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I had an email from our sailing club saying the "covid 19" committee is formulating a plan and IF the announcement is made on the 28th that phase one is coming into operation they will be sending an update of club activities.

Clearly they are of the opinion that sailing can start in some form though no doubt with many restrictions. I suspect use of the changing rooms for dinghy sailors will be one issue. Get changed in your car? who know what plan they might come up with.

The travel thing says stay local where possible. So that means you can travel where your activity is not local. I can't sail "local" as there is no water so it is not possible to stay local so I will travel.

Likewise there are many hills I can go to locally. I won't be driving down to climb any of the Southern Uplands any time soon.

By the way we have ALWAYS been able to travel for our daily exercise. Several times already we have driven more than 5 miles to take a walk. The guidance in force now is you can travel to take exercise as long as the exercise takes longer than the travel. So i will ne able todrive for 20 minutes to get to my boat as long as I sail for more than 20 minutes. The TRAVEL part of that is allowed under the existing guidelines in force NOW it is just the sailing bit that is not. This phase 1 lifting of restrictions does NOT impose new restrictions that are not in force NOW. It just allows more outside activities to be done.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I can't agree with some of the previous posts which imply that we can go to our boats after Thurs 28th May even if they are more than 5 miles away as this guidance has not changed.

I agree. Unless the boat is within five miles and, I think, privately accessible, going there is out tille Phase 3.

What has been clarified is that there will be no restrictions on travel distance to visit relatives other than the comment that it would be extreamly unwise to enter the relatives home to use the loo and that there may ot be any public loos open.

I can't see any reference to travel except for leisure purposes in the roadmap document, but I expect that's what you meant by "has been clarified."

One point which was mentioned on Reporting Scotland that police will not be stopping cars to check the distance people are driving but lets face it with number plate recognition it is an easy task to scan cars coming into an area and then back check through that good friend of motorists aka DVLC

True, but there are so many legitimate reasons for travelling around that it would be very hard to pin anyone down after the event. I expect they continue to concentrate on the obvious piddle-takers. Maybe they could start with the wazzocks who have set up camp in my local Co-Op car park.

dunedin

Visit site
I agree. Unless the boat is within five miles and, I think, privately accessible, going there is out tille Phase 3.

That does seem to be what we are being sentenced to!
So on that basis, by comparison
- In England people were prevented from travel and sailing for 7 weeks
- In Scotland we will already have been stopped from travel and sailing for over 9 weeks by 28th May - and even then the rule/guidance is travel for leisure only within 5 miles of home
- If each Phase has 3 week review, the best case for Phase 3 and travel beyond 20 miles would be 9th July - ie just over 15 weeks!

NI has already eased travel to leisure.

So Nicola is going to sentence us to over twice as long as most of the UK in terms of being prevented from travel to hills, boats etc.
Surely she needs to treat Scots as grown ups who can be at least as sensible as the English. Over twice as long is an extreme divergence in civil liberty, and just going to lead to widescale ignoring of the guidance (if good enough for Ms Calderwood, Mr Cummings, Prof Ferguson etc etc)

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
The harbour where our boat is kept have informed us they are open, and our boat is welcome (we are planning a slipway launch soon after phase 1 is actually in force)

And further the harbour is planning crane in for 20th June. By then phase 2 might be implemented but not phase 3, so they are interpreting phase 2 at least as making crane in possible.

I suspect the majority of boat owners are more than 5 miles from the harbour.

If the harbour is open then that's good enough for me to travel to it, in the same way B&Q is open so I can travel to that.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
In Scotland we will already have been stopped from travel and sailing for over 9 weeks by 28th May - and even then the rule/guidance is travel for leisure only within 5 miles of home
This is only a guideline

She said the government did not intend to set a five-mile limit on the distance that people could travel to do things like meeting their parents in a garden.

But she said they did not want people to enter their homes, in case they were infectious and could spread the virus to another family member.

The first minister added: "Please use your judgement and continue to have uppermost in your mind the need to protect those you care about, even if that might mean staying apart from them for a little bit longer."

Ms Sturgeon said that people travelling for recreation were being asked to stay "fairly local".

"Five miles isn't going to be a strict limit,
Scots urged to 'stick with' lockdown rules for now

JumbleDuck

Visit site
So Nicola is going to sentence us to over twice as long as most of the UK in terms of being prevented from travel to hills, boats etc.

I think the slower relaxation here is probably a good thing, and I suspect that England will have to re-impose some restrictions, which is probably harder than relaxing them gradually.

That said, the 5 mile restriction is not sensible, I think, because it doesn't take account of the very different geographies of Scotland. There is an awful lot more within 5 miles of the middle of Edinburgh than there is within 5 miles of where I am now. They do suggest that some regional variation will be introduced and I hope it is, because for people in Castle Douglas, Ardfern or Latheronwheel travelling 50 miles probably encompasses fewer people than travelling half a mile in one of the cities.

GTom

Visit site

I think the slower relaxation here is probably a good thing, and I suspect that England will have to re-impose some restrictions, which is probably harder than relaxing them gradually.

That said, the 5 mile restriction is not sensible, I think, because it doesn't take account of the very different geographies of Scotland. There is an awful lot more within 5 miles of the middle of Edinburgh than there is within 5 miles of where I am now. They do suggest that some regional variation will be introduced and I hope it is, because for people in Castle Douglas, Ardfern or Latheronwheel travelling 50 miles probably encompasses fewer people than travelling half a mile in one of the cities.
Spending a night on your boat, in your caravan away from the crowds is preventing nothing. Using local services is of course another matter.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Phase 1 is a total "crock of sh!t"

I can drive 33 miles to see my 83 year old cousin in Troon and even though we maintain social distancing, there is a risk. I also have the issue of needing a pee.

However, I cannot drive 30 miles to work on my boat which is in Troon even though I will be on my own, I will have zero interaction with others and I will not be using anyones toilets.

In keeping with the Phase I call for using common sense, I for one will be using my common sense and make my own decisions as I need my new (to me) boat made ready for launch so I can get it out of the boatyard.

Rant over, feel better.