Marsh Lock cleared

Tintin

Visit site
I'm delighted that this has finally been sorted.

But is this Tweet simply not saying "Navigation Authority does its job"?
And whose tug is that? Bushnell? Not an EA one??

A bit like a pilot tweeting a pic of his (or her) plane on the ground and exulting "Look, I landed the plane".

Old Crusty

Visit site
I'm pleased it's done and I don't care who did the job, most government work is outsourced now, I'm thankful it wasn't Serco or Interserve who would doubtless cock it up. At least the tweet is matter of fact rather than the former style of 'bigging me up in my bling.'

You may wish to seek out the latest HM notice which, if read carefully, provides an update on boating opportunities.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Tug ??? H,mm. Must be some new interpretation of the word !

Looking at the struggle it is having to shift that willow tree , looks more like one of the little EA patrol launches ?

This is a tug.

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site

Looking at the struggle it is having to shift that willow tree , looks more like one of the little EA patrol launches ?

This is a tug.

That'll

This is a tug.
That'll be from Osney Yard, the EA need small ones to get under Osney Bridge.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
A bit like a pilot tweeting a pic of his (or her) plane on the ground and exulting "Look, I landed the plane".
I'm delighted that this has finally been sorted.

But is this Tweet simply not saying "Navigation Authority does its job"?
And whose tug is that? Bushnell? Not an EA one??

Come on guys, give them a break! Boaters have been complaining about lack of information, but as soon as they finally start providing updates informing us of progress they get castigated for that too !
For me, yesterday marked something of a watershed in the relationship between the EA and boaters. We were actually presented with visible evidence of issues being dealt with and last nights HM Notice provided a comprehensive statement of the reach by reach progress to re-open the river.

In the recent boating organisations joint approach emails to the EA we told them that we could not be expected to inform boaters expectations if the EA didn't communicate more fully with us and provide evidence of action. It would appear we were heard ! Compared to the previous days notice yesterday's was informative and detailed and the videos and pictures posted by the EA on Twitter were a breath of fresh air.

And for those here who continue to rubbish our efforts to improve matters, you do all boaters a great disservice. Anyone who hasn't heard that, in addition to my TMBA role, I am now also the acting Chair of the ATYC isn't paying attention. My first newsletter called "ATYC Matters" was sent to all clubs and widely circulated on social media several weeks ago and gave full details of actions we are already taking to reinvigorate the organisation.

The joint action initiative by the ATYC, TMBA, DBA, RBOA and NABO didn't suddenly appear from thin air - WE made it happen.

OK, if you want to think I'm a one man band I'll plead guilty as charged but whose fault is that ? TMBA membership may be relatively small but their absolute support for my efforts is largely what keeps me going. Its not about numbers - its about influence. Think about it. When I started the TMBA as a 'free to join" representative body we rapidly built up a membership of several hundred boaters. When we were forced to introduce a minimal subscription of £5 over two thirds declined to renew membership. I won't mention our current 2 years for the price of one " offer again - oh, maybe I just did !

Have a nice day everybody - I am happy to follow Winston Churchill's advice and intend to "keep buggering on" !

Parabordi

Visit site
And for those here who continue to rubbish our efforts to improve matters, you do all boaters a great disservice. Anyone who hasn't heard that, in addition to my TMBA role, I am now also the acting Chair of the ATYC isn't paying attention. My first newsletter called "ATYC Matters" was sent to all clubs and widely circulated on social media several weeks ago and gave full details of actions we are already taking to reinvigorate the organisation.

The joint action initiative by the ATYC, TMBA, DBA, RBOA and NABO didn't suddenly appear from thin air - WE made it happen.
That means you Dazzer!

Pump-Out

Visit site
And for those here who continue to rubbish our efforts to improve matters, you do all boaters a great disservice. Anyone who hasn't heard that, in addition to my TMBA role, I am now also the acting Chair of the ATYC
I'm not rubbishing anything, on the contrary.
My point is that the EA should not have to have you (or AN Other) barking at their heels to do the job for which they are both paid, and mandated, to do. "EA move tree to allow navigation" is not a medal winning operation.

"EA apologise for enormous, disproportionate and outrageous delay, in contravention of central government guidelines" is, however newsworthy. If the works on the M4 can continue, including lifting there (I think) bridges into place over lockdown then the EA can tow a tree.

IMHO the guys and girls on the river itself do a sterling job. Distant management are the problem.

I repeat - I am delighted that it is now done. But a formal NTM is what is required , not a video pretending that a feat comparable with Apollo 13 has been achieved.