Who nicked the lightship?

Leighb

Visit site
Are you referring to the one moored adjacent to Ha’Penny Pier, or the variable number that are on the Trinity House moorings on the Shotley Spit side of the channel. AFAIK there has only ever been one moored at the quayside, the others come and go according to service requirements.

Old Harry

Visit site
Are you referring to the one moored adjacent to Ha’Penny Pier, or the variable number that are on the Trinity House moorings on the Shotley Spit side of the channel. AFAIK there has only ever been one moored at the quayside, the others come and go according to service requirements.
Isnt Harwich a TH service Depot

DavidofMersea

Visit site
I was referring to the light ships moored off. I thought that light ships were a thing of the past, I did not know they were still used. I thought the light ships at Harwich were just laid up

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
I was referring to the light ships moored off. I thought that light ships were a thing of the past, I did not know they were still used. I thought the light ships at Harwich were just laid up
I believe that TH had planned to replace the lightships with automated High Focal Plane light buoys. These would only need regular servicing which could be done on station. However their movement in anything other than a total flat calm was such that anyone put on one to carry out servicing was rendered incapable by motion sickness very quickly and had to be taken off. As a result they returned to the use of unmanned and automated lightships for stations where their range of visibility was required. These are brought to Harwich for servicing as required. This may of course turn out to be unsubstantiated rumour. ?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Hi David,

Please don't post with that title - I am a member of Haven Ports Yacht Club and was starting to worry that someone had nicked LV87 - our clubhouse!

Peter
Probably them thar Pirates have took er ?

Them Pirates are active in them parts these days, with most of the waterways and creeks completely void of craft so persons, tos easy pickings for sure {:)#

Just make sure you go to the Pirates do's you sure to find what one has lawst ?