Scotland can go sailing on 28th May?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
As I say a grey area but I regard 20 miles as close to home. It is certainly not a long way from home.

Maybe location dependent too? Plenty of people near here have to drive twenty miles or more to buy food, so that's definitely local for Galloway ... but it's enough to go from Edinburgh across the Queensferry Crossing to Dalgety Bay, and that doesn't sound very local.

awol

Visit site
JWD have put out their understanding of the blessed Nicola's message - to be confirmed after the definitive version on 28th May. It appears to be very similar to the English version of no overnighting and maintain social distancing at all times with added hand sanitiser. No office access and a one-out/one-in process for the disabled toilet with the others closed.
However, it all depends on the numbers moving in the right direction and given the idiotic behaviour on the local beach yesterday there is no guarantee.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
JWD have put out their understanding of the blessed Nicola's message - to be confirmed after the definitive version on 28th May. It appears to be very similar to the English version of no overnighting and maintain social distancing at all times with added hand sanitiser. No office access and a one-out/one-in process for the disabled toilet with the others closed.
However, it all depends on the numbers moving in the right direction and given the idiotic behaviour on the local beach yesterday there is no guarantee.
Who are JWD? Google suggests Architectural aluminium?

SaltIre

Visit site
This?
(adv) German slang expression, orginating from Berlin, abbreviation for "janz weit draussen" ("very far off"), pronounced "yod way day". A mockery term to denote provincial regions and ideas, can be used to qualify a place, something or someone as being out of the question, unacceptable, off the mark or simply f*cked up.
Urban Dictionary: jwd

FlyingGoose

Visit site
The distance rule is a guideline and as always is about common sense,
Although I Suspect the argument will continue ,
Lets look at this outwith a boat, canoeing involves a river or the sea , so what are we saying if you live in Central Glasgow your nearest river is pretty far away outside the Clyde, and the Sea is about 40 miles away , so are we saying that only those that live within 5 miles of these areas can enjoy Kayaking,
It is about being sensible and responsible, 5 miles is a suggestion with no basis in law form the government or the police or the council.
It is to allow those to make an informed decision is their journey necessary or can they do it closer
Clearly those with boats that is beyond 5 miles can reasonably argue this is fine, and that is that, the GOOSE has spoken :LOL:

Minchsailor

Visit site
Presumably it takes about a month for possible spikes in infections and deaths to become apparent, which is the reason for the three-weekly decisions about relaxations.
As somebody who has worked in control engineering this has been apparent to me since the start. I imagine any first year undergraduate of feedback theory and control loops knows that the further the measurement point (deaths*) is away from the control point (passing on/getting the infection) the greater is the probability of the system going into instability and oscillating.

I would have thought the political polling organisations that have great knowledge of sampling techniques (and standardising the results to a constant basis) could have devised some system of sampling, say every couple of days, a suitable surrogate (even admissions to hospitals will be better than deaths) that will give more timely information to micro manage the lockdown strategies.

* - deaths - even the definition of deaths seems to have varied to suit political needs, originating only including hospitals, then including nursing homes, and now all deaths where Covid19 is mentioned on the death certificate.

oldharry

Visit site
Where can I get a go in a one of those and are they as difficult to sail as they look!
There's a fleet of them at Hayling Island sailing club in Chi Harbour. Dependent totally on body weight to keep upright as far as I can see, but they dont seem to fall over any more often than other modern racing dinghies. I never sailed one, (I dont like boats that can tip you in!), but they look no more difficult to get going properly than a sailboard as far as I can see.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Presumably it takes about a month for possible spikes in infections and deaths to become apparent, which is the reason for the three-weekly decisions about relaxations.
Median time from infection to symptoms is about 5 days, maximum in practice is 14, so the thinking seems to be that after three weeks they'll have a full week's worth of extra cases to assess.

ProDave

Visit site
As somebody who has worked in control engineering this has been apparent to me since the start. I imagine any first year undergraduate of feedback theory and control loops knows that the further the measurement point (deaths*) is away from the control point (passing on/getting the infection) the greater is the probability of the system going into instability and oscillating.
Yes, that is why you have to ease lockdown slowly. Implement phase 1 then wait a month so see if there are a rise in new cases or deaths. Only then can you move on to stage 2.

ProDave

Visit site
Re the travel thing. This is the BBC's interpretation of it
In addition, people will be able to travel - preferably by walking or cycling - for recreation, although they will be asked to remain "where possible" within or close to their own local area.

So if I am just going for a walk, it is possible to do that close to home, so I will.

If I am going sailing, I can't do that at home because there is no water so travel is unavoidable but we are allowed to travel where it is not possible to remain local, so that too is okay.

SaltIre

Visit site
Yes, that is why you have to ease lockdown slowly. Implement phase 1 then wait a month so see if there are a rise in new cases or deaths. Only then can you move on to stage 2.
Indeed. I would imagine availability of Healthcare Staff, Ward & Critical Care Beds and capacity at Crematoria will be important considerations when deciding whether to futher ease restrictions and when.
Also whether folk are acting responsibly and staying within 5 miles of their home. If you've decided to live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a B&Q nearby can you drive 25miles to one?
20200424_130720.jpg

wully1

Visit site
I am allowed to drive 25 miles into Inverness to go to B&Q. On the way back the boat is only a 5 mile detour. Sorted.
my nearest ‘supermarket’ is 16 miles. Tesco is 25. Applying our rural reality to this I would not consider it in any way out of order to drive that distance to your boat.
I would be extremely hacked off if folk drove 100 odd miles from the central belt though..

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Re the travel thing. This is the BBC's interpretation of it

So if I am just going for a walk, it is possible to do that close to home, so I will.

If I am going sailing, I can't do that at home because there is no water so travel is unavoidable but we are allowed to travel where it is not possible to remain local, so that too is okay.
A very good interpretation. to get to your boat is were your boat is , just like if I wanted to hike, and lived in Glasgow centre , I could drive to the Trossachs and go hiking, but if i I Just wanted a good walk then this is possible locally, therefore stopping to many unnecessary journeys.

ProDave

Visit site
Also whether folk are acting responsibly and staying within 5 miles of their home. If you've decided to live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a B&Q nearby can you drive 25miles to one?
Well if plod stopped me and I said I am going to B&Q and he said "that's too far" then I would argue what is the point in allowing them to open if the customers are prohibited from travelling there?

Actually the few times I have been out over the last few weeks I have hardly seen a sign of plod being out and about.